• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'U2 3D' from National Geographic Cinema Ventures 1/08

'U2' on tour in 3-D

National Geographic picks up documentary

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    October 29, 2007

National Geographic Cinema Ventures has picked up upcoming concert docu "U2 3D" which it will distribute both domestically and internationally.

"U2 3D" will be released in late January in 3-D only.

Pic was lensed in South America during the band's "Vertigo" tour entirely in digital 3-D. In the U.S., theater owners were recently treated to an extended clip of the film at exhib confab ShowEast.

Concert pic was produced by 3ality Digital and directed by Catherine Owens and Mark Pellington. Owens has been U2's visual content director for more than 15 years, while Pellington directed the band's "One" video.

"Digital 3-D is a new cinema medium that truly allows moviegoers to immerse themselves in the experience, energy and emotion of being in a prime seat at a U2 concert," 3ality Digital CEO Sandy Climan said.

National Geographic Cinema Ventures prexy Lisa Truitt said the release of "U2 3D" is a natural expansion of her division's growing presence in theatrical distribution.

Producers are 3ality Digital's Jon Shapiro, Peter Shapiro and John Modell, as well as Owens. Climan, Michael Peyser and David Modell exec produced.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=16&cs=1
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: 'U2 3D' from National Geographic Cinema Ventures 1/08

Cannes

U2 3D

(Documentary)

The title says it all. Compact and exuberant, "U2 3D" may be no more than a pint-sized concert film with a lustrous surface, but the lensing is so vibrant and the music so buoyant, even nonfans may find their eyes popping and their heads bobbing. Clocking in at under an hour, Cannes preview reps a rousing warm-up act for the full 80-minute version, which will be shopped exclusively to 3-D venues later this year; whether the pic's visual novelty will be enough to attract the Irish rockers' huge fan base in significant numbers remains an open question (with or without ancillary).
    Full review at:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...&cs=1&nid=2562
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

SQUEE!!!!

I have GOT to see that! That tour was so frickin' amazing!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Eeeeeeeeee!!!!!! Must See!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

New U.S. Release

U2 3D

'U2 3D'

By Phil Gallo
    Variety
    January 6, 2008

With: Bono, the Edge, Adam Clayton, Larry Mullen Jr.

Breathtaking when performance, technology and cinematography click at the same moment, "U2 3D" is a concert film that should draw well from the band's fan base and tech fanatics. It has its overwhelming moments, especially in the early going, as the filmmakers emphasize a frenetic swirl of angles and effects. Eventually, the pic settles down and the artistry of the Irish band and their unique onstage power become the focus.

Pic is an enveloping experience, particularly when viewers are placed in a great spot in the audience and Bono or U2's guitarist, the Edge, are little more than an arm's length away. Less involving --and maybe even vertigo-inducing (pun intended) -- are angles from high overhead of Larry Mullen Jr. drumming; it's such an unnatural way to view a show that it will feel foreign to anyone with a bank of concert-going memories.

Lasting about as long as most bands are willing to play these days, U2 is captured as a powerful quartet, an entity greater than the sum of its parts -- one can't help but be amazed that this still just a four-piece band making an amazing and splendid racket.

Shot during the fourth leg of their "Vertigo" tour in 2006, pic features 14 tunes and Bono's recitation of the U.N. Declaration of Rights. Shows on that tour were 23 or 24 songs per night, and the filmmakers have gone with the dozen songs that made it into each night's set list, making transitions from outdoor stadiums to indoor arenas seamless.

"U2 3D," which sticks to performances and crowds, boasts a remarkable human element. Shots that place the viewer next to the Edge, Bono or the bassist Adam Clayton pull them off the pedestal that acts have to climb when addressing 50,000 fans at once.
    "U2 3D's" greatest gift may well be its ability to remind the world that in the two decades since "Rattle and Hum," U2 has remained a significant and forward-thinking rock band, one that still performs with authority and is not wrapped up in the political dogma of its lead singer.

Pic, which screened in a shorter version at Cannes, premieres at Sundance and opens Jan. 25.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...goryid=31&cs=1

• MiceChat Moderator

I can't wait! I'm so there.

• MiceChat Moderator

For you southern californians, the only theater playing this is The Bridge. I'm going to the 10pm show on Friday the 25 and I think tickets go on sale tomorrow! (tuesday). So if you go to that particular show, keep your eyes out for me!

• Hall Of Promise

I managed to see 3 songs of the show in 3D. It is actually pretty neat. Not as fun as being there live, but it is fun to be with other fans all watching and listening, as well as it being in 3D. I am not the biggest U2 fan, neither were the 200 other managers I was with, but we all agree it was cool, so much so our theaters will be showcasing the feature. Tickets are already on sell.

I love working with digital projection, even considering tonight since I was at one of my theaters 2 hours past my scheduled time trying to fix a communication problem with a DCA21 (not California Adventure) automation panel to a Christie Digital CP2000 projection system. I still didn't even fix the problem.

Where's the theatre listing? I want to see this!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

U2's 3D Concert Film Debuts At Sundance

U2
    Billboard
    January 21, 2008, 8:40 AM ET

After a career playing to sold-out stadiums, U2 did what their fans have done for years -- stood in line to see U2 perform. That concert was "U2 3D," a film of the band's 2005-06 Vertigo tour, shot at several shows in South America with new 3-D technology.

"I was really hoping we weren't crap after all these years. Luckily we weren't," guitarist The Edge told The Associated Press before the band donned plastic glasses to watch the movie's premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on Saturday night.

The Edge, joined by singer Bono, drummer Larry Mullen and bassist Adam Clayton, joked about the absurdity of seeing themselves perform after playing together for more than 30 years.

"It's kind of horrific," to see himself on stage in 3-D, said Bono. "It's bad enough on a small screen. Now you get to see the lard arse 40-foot tall."

The Edge said the 3-D technology allowed "the songs to shine through," though he was surprised to see the chemistry of the band in the details on screen, and how far apart his bandmates were on stage.

"Are you saying you felt lonely up there?" said Bono, smiling. "No, I felt lonely for Larry," The Edge replied. "He likes being on his own," said Bono. "Didn't you bring him back a bottle of water?"
    http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003699401

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    For you southern californians, the only theater playing this is The Bridge. I'm going to the 10pm show on Friday the 25 and I think tickets go on sale tomorrow! (tuesday). So if you go to that particular show, keep your eyes out for me!

I was so wrong about southern california theaters. THERE ARE FOUR theaters playing this film. The Bridge and Universal CityWalk in Los Angeles area. Ontario. And Irvine Spectrum.

Enjoy!

I'm torn about going to see it in Tampa this weekend or wait until it comes to St Pete next month (a little closer to me).

• Senior Minion

Whoohoo! My theater is playing this film. Can't wait.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'U2 3D': Lifelike rattle and hum

By C. Taylor Crothers
    It's a beautiful day: Bono gets the crowd going.

By Edna Gundersen
    USA TODAY
    January 23, 2008

From Woodstock to The Last Waltz to Neil Young: Heart of Gold, concert films historically leave viewers tingling but with a regretful twinge that they've missed the party and settled for a souvenir snapshot.

U2 3D (* * * * out of four) in many ways delivers an experience that's even better than the real thing. It brings U2's dazzling rock spectacle to the multiplex with VIP comforts, all-access viewpoints and telescopic close-ups.

Shot in early 2006 on the fourth leg of U2's Vertigo tour, the film condenses and explodes the Irish quartet's potent show into a rapturous virtual reality ride of 5.1 surround sound, stunt-pilot camera work and judiciously applied 3-D effects.

For this first live-action digital 3-D film, crews shot five stadium shows in Mexico, Brazil, Chile and Argentina, plus a cameras-only performance staged before the Buenos Aires dates. More than 100 hours of footage were distilled into a seamless 14-song powerhouse of sight and sound.

Avoiding the cheese of Michael Jackson's Captain EO, U2 3D's 3-D imagery creates startling depth and crispness, immersing the viewer in Vertigo's flavor and fervor rather than distracting with gimmickry or inducing lower-case vertigo.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...22-U2-3D_N.htm

• Minion

I saw this at Sundance and it was absolutely thrilling. The music was amazing, and being so close to the stage via the cameras was really a lot of fun. The 3D was great, I think they used it in just the right way, to pull you in and make you feel like you are a part of the experience. Great show.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast