Last week in Orange County Superior Court, SunCal sued the property owner, Frank Family Partnership, for backing out of a contract to sell the 26-acre plot, seeking $60 million in damages.
Skip Miller, SunCal’s attorney, said the property owner agreed to work with the developer to obtain government permission to develop the land, where mostly mobile homes sit. He said the purchase contract should stand until the ballot measures are resolved.
SunCal has given $5 million to the owners and spent $5 million on lobbying.
“We’re not walking away from $10 million, and it’s not going to happen,” Miller said.
An attorney for the property owner, however, said SunCal broke its agreement to pay $500,000 by Oct. 1 to extend a deadline to complete the purchase.
Ed Connor, the owner’s attorney, also said that under a purchase contract amendment, SunCal must complete the deal by the end of the year regardless of whether it has permission to build on the land.
“I think he (the owner) would have stuck by these guys longer if there was some light at the end of the tunnel. There didn’t seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. They couldn’t suggest that there was,” Connor said.