• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Wicked's Schwartz pens song for Tartaglia's 'Sprites'

Wicked's Schwartz Pens Song for Tartaglia's "Sprites"

By Andrew Gans
    Playbill
    01 Nov 2007

John Tartaglia stars in "Johnny and the Sprites" on the Disney Channel.
    photo by Disney Channel
    A holiday episode of "Johnny and the Sprites" the Disney kids show that stars Avenue Q's John Tartaglia will feature a new song penned by Wicked composer Stephen Schwartz.

The new episode, which will debut Dec. 1 at 7:30 AM ET on the Disney Channel, is described as such: "When the Sprites make their own presents to give to Johnny, they discover the true meaning of giving. Then, when the Sprites are snowed out of the Grove, it's hot chocolate for everyone until Gwen shows up."

"Johnny and the Sprites" which teaches children "about magic in the world around them" airs Saturdays on the Disney Channel.

John Tartaglia made his Broadway debut in Avenue Q. He received a Tony nomination, a Theatre World Award and the Clarence Derwent Award for that performance. The singer-actor also appeared in the Children of Eden and Hair benefit concerts and in the City Center Encores! presentation of Carnival. His TV credits include eight seasons on "Sesame Street" as well as "Animal Jam," "Bear in the Big Blue House," "***** Eye for the Straight Guy" and "The Rosie O'Donnell Show." Tartaglia was also seen in the Empty-Handed concerts at the Lucille Lortel Theatre and has performed solo evenings at the Ars Nova and Joe's Pub. He was most recently on Broadway as Lumiere in Beauty and the Beast.

For more information visit http://atv.disney.go.com/playhouse/johnny/index.html.
    http://www.playbill.com/news/article/112418.html

Re: 'Wicked's Schwartz pens song for Tartaglia's 'Sprites'

When I was at WDW in October, John Tartaglia was on a bus that I was on one afternoon going from Animal Kingdom Lodge over to the Magic Kingdom for Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I recognized him from seeing him as Grand Marshal in the Disney-MGM parade a few days later. He was appearing in kiddie concerts as Johnny at Disney-MGM. I didn't really realize who he really was and all his credits until a friend of mine who had seen him in Avenue Q about died when I told him I rode a bus with John!