Full text available here:
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...ness-headlines

Curious timing of events out at Walt Disney World.

On Monday, as part of the 50th anniversary of the theme parks, the company saluted its Orlando employees with a special "tribute" window.

The glass, unveiled by local Prez Al Weiss, was inscribed with Walt's words, "It takes people to make the dream a reality." It'll be hung in a shop on Main Street.

Meanwhile, seemingly a world away from the festivities, 230 Orlando workers are being fired as part of Disney's plan to outsource tech jobs. Companywide, the number is just over 1,000. At least some of the job losses begin this week.

"They're taking our IDs from us on Friday," one employee told me. "It's a weird situation."

Even if you think, as I do, that outsourcing is a smart cost-cutting move, it's still painfully ironic that the company is honoring some employees as it is shoving others out the door.

Disney confirmed the plan to eliminate jobs back in May. The company is sending its tech work to IBM and Affiliated Computer Services. They've said all along it would happen in mid-July.

A company spokeswoman Tuesday would not confirm that the transition was starting this week -- though she said the outsourced workers were offered positions with the new companies.

One employee said he had a contract -- but only for three months. After that, he's out of a job. I'm told IBM is moving some of Disney's Orlando computer operations to Boulder, Colo. Other work that was done in California is going to Columbus, Ohio.

But at least there's this: Crummy timing and all, the outsourced Orlando employees apparently get to keep their park passes -- a Disney perk -- until the end of the year.