• Banned User

Platinum Edition DVD opinions

After reading the press release for the 101 Dalmations Platinum Edition DVD, I started thinking about the Platinum line of recent DVD releases. I was wondering what you all thought of some of the most recent releases. Do you think they are starting to skimp out on quality and quantity found on the discs? What is your favorite of all of them by far?

In my opinion, Aladdin and Snow White had the best, most comprehensive behind the scenes information. The Little Mermaid was a little bit of a let down and the packaging on Jungle Book was a little cheaper than previous versions (the foil art came off when I peeled off one of the stickers!).

Also, if you read Ultimate Disney's upcoming list of Disney DVD releases, they are stating that Snow White and Beauty and the Beast are slated for a Platinum Edition re-release. Why? They also have Sleeping Beauty in the mix. Didn't that come out on a Special Edition not long ago?

Dalmatians Press Release:
    http://ultimatedisney.com/101dalmati...ease-0304.html

DVD timeline:
    http://ultimatedisney.com/comingsoon.html

• Banned User

Re: Platinum Edition DVD opinions

Wow. That hurts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I like the Jungle Book. But hey, atleast these collections give Disney a reason to keep restoring and maintaining their films .

• no flash photography...

I van careless what edition they bring out. I only watch the movie and the rest is just wasted disc space for me.

the Platinum line has long since been ruined
    Sleeping Beauty shouldnt be released in the Platinum series yet, the mistake was made to do a special edition already. the only reason to be reissuing it so soon would be to take advantage of the BluRay contract. as for the quality of the editions, I agree that most have been pretty much a let down. why wont they just release all of the movies and quit playing around with what THEY want and give us what the FANS want

• Circle of Ancients

I own Snow White and love it. The rest I still have on good old VHS. I also own the Sleeping Beauty Special Edition DVD, which is very much like a platinum, except not. They released Lion King the same year, so they decided to release that one under the Platinum label and put Sleeping Beauty as a SE. (It's really strange how they like to break all of their own rules, which are themselves very strange.) Anyways, back on topic, I will definitely buy Sleeping Beauty again and will definitely buy Snow White again if they re-release it, which they really shouldn't yet. This, of course, is so long as that there is plenty of new material on each.

Disney Home Entertainment is a really weird bureaucracy... But if they give me good extras, I will buy... and they know it.

• Disneyland PAP

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post
    Anyways, back on topic, I will definitely buy Sleeping Beauty again and will definitely buy Snow White again if they re-release it, which they really shouldn't yet. This, of course, is so long as that there is plenty of new material on each.

Disney Home Entertainment is a really weird bureaucracy... But if they give me good extras, I will buy... and they know it.
    And this is why Disney will reissue and reissue and reissue the classics. They estimate there's a sufficient market to do it and still make more money with a minimum of new additional content.

I have several of the Platinum, Special, Anniversary, and Masterpiece Edition discs. I have two Little Mermaids (that sounded funny ), two Lady and the Tramps, two Mulans, and two Alice in Wonderlands. I passed on the newer Peter Pan and Return to Neverland releases since I like the earlier versions I have better, and will likely pass on any new Sleeping Beauty DVD version unless there's really a lot more bonus material from their recent previous edition.

Back to answering the original topic question, yes, in general I agree that the quality of the bonus material for the Platinum Editions have dropped noticeably since their first, the awesome Snow White PE. I think they see most Disney fans and consumers aren't as decerning as some of us diehard ones are over the past ten or so years, and that they are trying to continue adding new fans with these reissues since the Disney brand has grown so well in this post-Eisner era.