• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Strike still on, according to WGA e-mail

Strike still on, according to WGA email

Nov 4, 2007, 09:36 PM |
    by Lynette Rice
    Entertainment Weekly

Though optimistic rumors were circulating through Hollywood that an 11th-hour negotiation session that began Sunday morning between the writers and producers was looking promising, WGA West President Patric Verrone sent out an email early Sunday afternoon to members obtained exclusively by the Hollywood Insider saying that the strike is still on for Monday morning and that everyone should contribute 20 hours a week to the effort. In the email, Verrone promises that many writers, from showrunners and A-list screenwriters to first-time scribes, will be walking the picket line for a strike that he hopes will only go on for a short period of time.

The WGA announced Friday that the strike would officially begin at 12 a.m. Monday morning. Picketing shifts and various picketing locales are listed on the guild's website, including CBS and Fox in Los Angeles, the Sony lot in Culver City, and NBC and Disney in Burbank. According to the site, picketing will begin at 9 a.m. and end at 5 p.m.
    http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2007/...-still-on.html

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Strike still on, according to WGA e-mail

Hopefully the strike won't go on too long.

Although, may be a good time to get some new blood (and better writing) out there for both TV and movies.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I posted this on the Debate lounge because I know there's some people who are going to think it's not okay for them to be on strike. But that said, I am okay with this. I am for the writers. I am sorry but they should get paid for internet sales. Furthermore look at how insane it costs to buy a season of say "The Office," $33 and the writers are only make 4 cents of that? The one big fear I have is this could trickle into higher movie, DVDs, and overall entertainment prices. Movies are so expensive right now that... I just I would rather at this point in my life rent a DVD for $2.50, see it in my own home and relax, than pay $10.50 for a movie where some jerk brought their 2 month old who will scream the whole time (happened during "Superman Returns") or someone to kick my chair the whole time. If they go up higher for a theater seat. Dude.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Saw strikers today at Sunset Gower and Paramount, so sad.

WGA strike could go into 2008

Both sides dig heels into the ground

By Dave McNary
    Variety
    November 6, 2007

Hopes for a quick resolution of the writers strike are fading fast.

Back-channel efforts have resumed to avert what's now looking like a long and painful work stoppage. But those moves aren't gaining much traction amid continued hardline public stances by both the WGA and the Alliance of Motion Picture & Television Producers.

Worries have risen that without reviving the WGA talks, the scribes' work stoppage could easily bleed into the middle of next year. The DGA's expected to launch talks within the next few weeks while SAG's negotiations would probably start in the late winter or early spring. Both the DGA and SAG contracts expire June 30.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryid=2821&cs=1

• Banned User

Being a former member of the WGA, I support the writers 1000%.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Eisner calls writers strike "insanity"

By Mimi Turner
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 8, 2007

NEW YORK -- Former Disney chairman and CEO Michael Eisner dismissed the Hollywood writers strike as "insanity" and "too stupid," warning writers that they were sacrificing real income for a hope of revenue that studios did not yet have.

Speaking Wednesday morning at the Dow Jones/Nielsen Media and Money conference, Eisner said writers had been premature in pressing for digital revenue when the model was still unproven, and should have postponed action for at least three years.

"For a writer to give up today's money for a nonexistent piece of the future -- they should do it in three years, shouldn't be doing it now -- they are misguided they should not have gone on the strike. I've seen stupid strikes, I've seen less stupid strikes, and this strike is just a stupid strike."

The former Disney boss, now founder of the Tornante Co., suggested that studios had embarked on a "harlot's parade" over the past few years when they had talked up the potential of digital revenues to a point when they could not back down.

Writers, he said, were striking for a piece of "a nonexistent (revenue) flow."

"Studios are there because they have to be there. They don't want to be in the transportation business and telling people they should be in the train business -- god forbid they should miss yet another track," Eisner said.

Eisner indicated that currently only content aggregators such as Apple were generating income from the digital boom.

"The only real winner here is Steve Jobs. They should be striking up at Cupertino or wherever he is," he said.

Eisner said the studios had been involved in creating a storm of "rhetoric" over something that would eventually be the major avenue of content distribution, but was not there yet.

"I don't want to be critical of (studio) people because I would have been in the middle of making mistakes. Digital will eventually be the dominant medium for distribution but not yet," he said.

Eisner said that the current financial pain within the subprime and mortgage markets could go on for as long as two years.

"It will be a year or two and there will be a lot of pain -- we have resetting of rates -- banks maybe have to go back to their original businesses and not be taking fees and handing off to packagers in this whole process of financial musical chairs."
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...9400ef8049157e

• Banned User

the writers aren't stupid. the future for movie sales isn't in dvd's it's digital downloads. I am however torn on this aspect. I believe that when you work on a project you get paid for your work at the time you do it . If you are a good enough writer, actor, director, etc to command a piece of the rest of the sales, that should be negotiated into your contract. It seems funny how supporting people get one salary like the lighting people and cameramen and makeup people. You don't see these people going on strike for a bigger piece of sales. just my opinion of course

• Circle of Ancients

^ I disagree. The future of TV is digital downloads, at least until most channels are in HD. The future of DVD's is not in downloads because the movie industry keeps adapting to new technologies.

And just becuase it's Eisner, doesn't mean we should discount it. He knows the industry. And I think he's right.

What if the writers get what they want for downloads? Then the Digital Download boom becomes even more lucrative. What do they do? Strike again?

What if Digital Downloads stop? What happens? They have striked for nothing.

It's stupid.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Showrunners picket Disney

By Leslie Simmons
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Nov 8, 2007

More than 125 striking showrunners from shows including "Ugly Betty," "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" and "Lost" turned up at the gates of Walt Disney Studios in Burbank, demanding a fair deal from the studios.

"Every day the producers don't give us a fair and decent deal is a wasted day in Hollywood," "Ugly Betty" creator and executive producer Silvio Horta said.

Wearing a T-shirt reading "Wasted Days" written in the famous Disney font, Horta and fellow "Betty" executive producer Marco Pennette said it was important for all showrunners to get together and be seen publicly supporting the strike.

"For the sake of the show, we worked on the scripts up to the deadline," Pennette said. "And for the sake of the actors, they can shoot something. But we chose to not cross the line."

Among the showrunners: "SVU's" Neal Baer, "Entourage's" Doug Ellin, Carlton Cuse of "Lost," veteran producer John Wells ("ER," "I'm Not There"), "Desperate Housewives' " Marc Cherry and Shaun Cassidy, who said he has several pilots he's working on at Disney that are now in "development freeze."

"Today is very much about showing solidarity among showrunners," said Cherry.

As more shows begin to close up shop, Cherry said he expects to see more SAG members turn out at the picket lines. Next week, Cherry said, there will be special pickets featuring actors, and on Friday, the "entire guild membership" is supposed to show up at 20th Century Fox studios.

Following the march, the showrunners gathered at the Smoke House Restaurant in Burbank for a lunch that was paid for by talent agency Paradigm, which represents such top showrunners as Cherry and Baer, both members of the WGA negotiating committee.

Despite that goodwill gesture, eyewitness reported that discussions between negotiation moderates and more militantly inclined scribes escalated into a heated debate over the guild's bargaining strategy as well as the spectrum of producing duties showrunners could perform during a strike. No punches were thrown, though the verbal barbs were said to be sharp and unusually multisyllabic. According to sources, the debate later moved to the WGA headquarters in Los Angeles.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...ca082156068364

• Senior Minion

im pretty sure no one cares what eisner says
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Gracie View Post
    im pretty sure no one cares what eisner says
    You don't pay over $2,000 to attend an event just to completely discount everything that one of the keynote speakers has to share.
    http://www.mediaandmoneyconference.c...spx?pageid=447

• Minion

I think the writers are being greedy.
    Har har har

• Goofy

I support these writers and their beliefs. Goo guys.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by rex22 View Post
    I support these writers and their beliefs. Goo guys.

How could you support them. After they want more money, and them starting a strike caused NBC to fire 102 people on 1 show alone, Because they have nothing to do. Due to the writers being on strike.
    Last edited by garbear; 11-11-2007 at 05:28 AM.
    Har har har

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast