Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

I've gotten the sniffles from quite a few Disney films, but I actually cried when I saw Mulan and her father said (without spoiling the plot for those who have seen it I won't name the scene) "The greatest gift and honor is having you for a daughter."

I was surprised no one mentioned the song from Pinocchio! When you wish upon a star! Every time I hear that song, no matter if it is in the movie itself, at the park, on a commercial, or even on Radio Disney, I cry! I can't help it. I believed in that song as a little girl, and I still do. Every time I hear that song, it sums up all my most fondest Disney memories and the dreams I still hold onto. Even writing this I am getting misty. Gah! I'm hopeless!

• Sock Puppet

Pinocchio

I agree with you Pixie about When You Wish Upon a Star being a very emotional song. Everytime i hear it, I too, well up because of it's lyrics. They are truly inspirational and define what Walt Disney was all about. I went into One Man's Dream the other day with my girlfriend and we watched 3 times in a row and every time I came out of there with tears in my eyes.

It is amazing what this man had accomplished during his time here on earth and it is all for our benefit and the worlds. The worss to that song should inspire everyone who hears to better themselves and reach for their dreams with determination and perseverance and they will be achieved. I will always cherish that song in my heart.

Another great song that will bring a tear to my eye is A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes. Another inspirational song.

• Sock Puppet

Another Sad Movie

Here is another sad movie that no one has mentioned here and is not a well known Disney cartoon. Does anyone remember "The Small One". It was a short cartoon about 20 minutes long.

It's a story of a little boy who has to sell his aging donkey to make money for his poor family, but was unsuccessful in doing so. During the night, they were city at the gates of the town very sad, when a man came up to them and asked if the donkey was for sale and the little boy said yes, so he sells his little donkey and there is a tearful farewell between the two of them, which left me in tears. But the wonderful thing about this, is the man who bought the donkey was Joseph who was taking Mary to Bethlehem, so the little donkey was valuable after all. The ending song, "Small One" really tugs at your heart strings. I wish they had this on dvd, to me it is a classic.

Glenn

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherPixie
    I've gotten the sniffles from quite a few Disney films, but I actually cried when I saw Mulan and her father said (without spoiling the plot for those who have seen it I won't name the scene) "The greatest gift and honor is having you for a daughter."
    This scene get s me everytime...even when I retell it I get weepy...

• This Maid Loves it!!

Mine would have to be.. 'Lilo and Stitch'..when I saw this film, I couldn't stop crying, cause of the broken family.. I think the second film would be 'Bambi'.
    'When hinges creek in doorless chambers..and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls..whenever candlelights flicker..where the air is deathly still..That is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.'

*Space Mountain re-launches July 15 2005*

^V^ "I Make Ride Go!" ^V^

• Que que no-tu-rah.

Remembering that the original question was what "What do you think is the saddest Disney animated movie" the answer is easy for me. There is only one Disney feature length animated film that it could be. DUMBO.

Other Disney movies might have sadder songs, or scenes, but no Disney movie is as sad throughout as DUMBO. First Jumbo Jr. (I refuse to call him by his cruel nick name)is constantly being teased by the other elephants and circus customers, then his mother is caged and he's left to live on his own (there is no mention of his father). As if that wasn't enough he's derided by the entire circus and made to be a clown. Speaking of the clowns they're not nearly as funny as they are intimidating groutesques. Happiness doesn't come back into the film until the very end. DUMBO just oozes sadness. But it's a wonderful sadness because the images and music are so beautiful and we care so much for Jumbo Jr that we're continually rooting for him to overcome his obstacles.

DUMBO is an a amazing achievement and Disney's saddest animated film.
    Last edited by yensid98; 04-07-2005 at 03:10 PM.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

• Hooterville, USA

Old Yeller, being shot.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Crazy Sora Fan

The Fox and the Hound

• Rawr...

Umm, I just don't think Stitch, Fox/Hound, Beauty/Beast, Lion King are sad in the way Dumbo and Bambi are. Bambi's mom just disappears forever and he's left w/ a cold, distant father he never knew. And Dumbo...HE WAS JUST A BABY! Maybe it was because he didn't talk, but that baby being ripped from his mother...I remember utter grief and flowing tears watching her swing him in her trunk through the bars with that SAD, SAD "Baby Mine" playing. No sadness can compare in a Disney animated feature.
    As for live action: Old Yeller.
    Afterthoughts: The Jessie-being-donated scene: Yes, ouch, a definite heartstring puller and THANK YOU DISNEY for making it even harder for parents to get their kids to give up their old toys!
    Dont get me wrong. I think those are all sad movies too. But as for Dumbo being taken away from his mother, at least he had a mother! Stitch didnt even have a family! Can you imagine having no memories to look back on at all? How empty would that feel? I feel soooo sorry for the little guy.
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Feel the breeze!

The Fox and the Hound is, to myself, the saddest Disney Animated Feature I have seen. I had a sense of dread through it all and felt there was no way it could have a happy ending.

Dumbo...well, I just knew it would end well.

Saddest scene? When Stitch is talking to his creator about wanting a family ranks up there.

On another note, I think the saddest ending I have ever read was from "Where the Red Fern Grows". The ending makes me break down every time.

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by yensid98
    Remembering that the original question was what "What do you think is the saddest Disney animated movie" the answer is easy for me. There is only one Disney feature length animated film that it could be. DUMBO.

Other Disney movies might have sadder songs, or scenes, but no Disney movie is as sad throughout as DUMBO. First Jumbo Jr. (I refuse to call him by his cruel nick name)is constantly being teased by the other elephants and circus customers, then his mother is caged and he's left to live on his own (there is no mention of his father). As if that wasn't enough he's derided by the entire circus and made to be a clown. Speaking of the clowns they're not nearly as funny as they are intimidating groutesques. Happiness doesn't come back into the film until the very end. DUMBO just oozes sadness. But it's a wonderful sadness because the images and music are so beautiful and we care so much for Jumbo Jr (I refuse to call him by his cruel nick name) that we're continually rooting fo rhim to overcome his obstacles.

DUMBO is an a amazing achievement and Disney's saddest animated film.
    No argument here. I haven't seen Dumbo in a few years now and whenever I get the chance to see it I change my mind cause I know it will depress me even though I know there's a happy ending.

• Rawr...

Saddest scene? When Stitch is talking to his creator about wanting a family ranks up there.
    Thank you! Finally someone agrees with me!
    Anyone up for a Colorado Micechatters meet-up?
    http://micechat.com/forums/meets-eve...ml#post3486518

Colorado Micechatter Extrordinare!

• Practically Perfect

I still stand by the idea that all Disney movies have sad moments...I mean Lion King is Bambi in Africa, and Aladdin didn't have any more of a family than stitch (and no, Aladdin 3000 1/2 doesn't count...stupid cheap-quils...). Cinderella had a horrible life, and Dumbo of course is so amazing (probobly because he can't talk so we can all relate to him easier...thus making it sadder). The list goes on...and I agree with EVERYONE! But, I don't want to throw a new one out...The Incredibles...at the end when Bob is talking about how he has to "do this alone" because he's not strong enough to loose his family again...gets me every time.

• Crazy Sora Fan

me too! i felt sooo sorry when Stitch wanted a family after reading the Ugly Duckling! i cried so hard, how can you not cry at that?!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234