Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Roger Rabbit, Disney Classic?

Who framed Roger Rabbit has, and always will be one of my favorite movies. I was re-watching the DVD last night with the “Toontown confidential” DVD option on and really enjoyed all the facts about the movie, some of which I had previously not known.

As I was watching I could not help but think that this movie deserved to be considered amongst the best of the Disney Classics. Movies like ‘The little mermaid”, “Aladdin”, “Beauty and the Beast” and “The Lion King” came shortly after this movie and were immediately hailed as instant classics. While not receiving the official Disney Branding, Touchstone pictures was a Disney company. Having said that, and taking into consideration that an entire “land” was dedicated to this one film (regardless of how you feel about Toontown it further illustrates my point that this is a Disney movie through and through), in your opinion is Who Framed Roger Rabbit a Disney Classic that you would put alongside Snow White or Beauty and Beast?
    Last edited by larasound; 11-08-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Roger Rabbit, Disney Classic?

It's a classic to me and a benchmark in so many ways. But I don't think it will ever be classified in the same listing with Snow white and Beauty and the Beast because it's not 100% animated.

But it's an EXTREMELY important piece of film history that is still a lot of fun to watch and will be brought up again in years to come because of ihow good it is. If only Spielberg and Disney can come to terms with it and let it be the "nightmare before christmas" type seller it deserves to be.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

I really like Roger Rabit. It's never on enough on TV. They should show it more.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I agree. It is a classic moreso from the live action/animation rather than the story itself. IMO the story does not hold a candle to the others mentioned, NBC included. It's lack of a good soundtrack doesn't help either.

Combining all of the cartoons from different eras and companies made it classic for sure. Any movie with Mickey Mouse and Yosemite Sam it fine with me!

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    I agree. It is a classic moreso from the live action/animation rather than the story itself. IMO the story does not hold a candle to the others mentioned, NBC included. It's lack of a good soundtrack doesn't help either.

Combining all of the cartoons from different eras and companies made it classic for sure. Any movie with Mickey Mouse and Yosemite Sam it fine with me!

I actually think Alan Silvestri's score for Roger Rabbit is right on! It keeps it timeless in a sense that it's not so "out-there".

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    I actually think Alan Silvestri's score for Roger Rabbit is right on! It keeps it timeless in a sense that it's not so "out-there".

Oh the music was fitting, but there were no songs IMO that are considered timeless. A classic movie, but lacking in song and story to make it one of Disney's best.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

As much as I like Roger Rabbit as a cartoon character and enjoyed seeing Mickey/Bugs and Donald/Daffy share the screen, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is definitely not a classic and isn't anywhere near the rarified air of Snow White and Beauty and the Beast. The overall tone of the movie is mean-spirited and very off-putting, especially when the cartoon world and real world collide (piano on the head, cartoon - funny; piano on the head, real life - not so much). And even though it's "just a toon," I've always thought the scene where Judge Doom "dips" the squeaky show to be unnecessarily brutal.

Despite appearances by all those great cartoon characters, I won't include Roger Rabbit in my own DVD collection, let alone consider it a classic.

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's a classic to me and a benchmark in so many ways. But I don't think it will ever be classified in the same listing with Snow white and Beauty and the Beast because it's not 100% animated.
    Neither is Song of the South but it's still a classic, just not well known.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    Neither is Song of the South but it's still a classic, just not well known.
    Song of the South is probably better known because of all the controversy surrounding it. That and having an E-Ticket attraction to support it creates even more curiosity about it.

I would also say that Song of the South is more animated than Roger Rabbit is.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

I knew MC'ers would have different takes on this. While I might agree that the story is not as classic and timeless as Snow White, I think it is an almost equal technical marvel. Live action has never been mixed with 2D animation that effectively. Furthermore, part of what I love about the movie is that it was at times a bit risqué and veered away from being 100% safe. It was an early adopter of the "not made for kids" type of movie that kids could enjoy. Hence the Touchstone name and not Disney.
    I miss David.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

On the one hand, the scene with Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny was to me one of the greatest scenes in the movies ever.

On the other hand, I think Who Framed Roger Rabbit somewhat "Warner-ized" Disney to a certain extent as well.

Their animation hasn't been the same since. For the better and for the worse -- some of their greatest films have come after this as well as some of their absolute worst...

• Hiding in the shadows

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is one of my top three all time favorite movies, and Roger is my favorite character (ok lets face it, there was a time when I was obsessed). I own it on VHS, DVD and I believe I still have a copy on LD. I have every movie poster created for it, as well as a Tummy Trouble poster, LE art from the DL Gallery, etc.

I think this movie was a technical marvel as well as integrating new characters with those from several other outlets (Disney, WB, etc). Yes, parts of the movie are harsh (especially the shoe dip scene), but was necessary to create the evil image of Judge Doom.

Its hard to compare this film with other animated Disney classics because it is not geared for that same audience IMO. But for me, its definitely a classic in its own right.

A little piece of heaven

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I feel it's a classic in its own right. Definitely one of my favorite movies.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    As much as I like Roger Rabbit as a cartoon character and enjoyed seeing Mickey/Bugs and Donald/Daffy share the screen, Who Framed Roger Rabbit is definitely not a classic and isn't anywhere near the rarified air of Snow White and Beauty and the Beast. The overall tone of the movie is mean-spirited and very off-putting, especially when the cartoon world and real world collide (piano on the head, cartoon - funny; piano on the head, real life - not so much). And even though it's "just a toon," I've always thought the scene where Judge Doom "dips" the squeaky show to be unnecessarily brutal.

Despite appearances by all those great cartoon characters, I won't include Roger Rabbit in my own DVD collection, let alone consider it a classic.
    I couldn't disagree more. The film is not mean spirited or off putting in the slightest, and any supposedly "off-putting" act portrayed in it is no more brutal or severe than pushing wicked witches off cliffs, having them turn into terrifying dragons and set on fire, or having noble kings and fathers murderously trampled by herds of fleeing wildebeests. Sure, it is a bit more witty and edgy than standard Disney fare, but that is precisely why it is so unique and timeless. Disney is of course known for its lovey, mushy tender heart style as seen in Snow White, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and others, but it was the daringness of the company to produce something so out of left field and against the common grain that allowed Disney to remain the trend setter that is always had been, and sadly isn't anymore. If the company still had the cajones to innovate like they did with Roger Rabbit and be the catalyst for positive paradigm shifts then the company wouldn't be so stagnant in the area it pioneered (animation) and the public wouldn't be subjected to such tripe as Chicken Little, Open Range or Brother Bear. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is and always will be one of Disney's greatest masterpieces and while placing it amongst standard classics such as those previously mentioned is akin to stuffing a square peg into a round hole, it nevertheless deserves to be placed on equal footing with them.
    Last edited by Jazzman; 11-08-2007 at 11:33 PM.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    I couldn't disagree more. The film is not mean spirited or off putting in the slightest, and any supposedly "off-putting" act portrayed in it is no more brutal or severe than pushing wicked witches off cliffs, having them turn into terrifying dragons and set on fire, or having noble kings and fathers murderously trampled by herds of fleeing wildebeests. Sure, it is a bit more witty and edgy than standard Disney fare, but that is precisely why it is so unique and timeless. Disney is of course known for its lovey, mushy tender heart style as seen in Snow White, Bambi, Sleeping Beauty and others, but it was the daringness of the company to produce something so out of left field and against the common grain that allowed Disney to remain the trend setter that is always had been, and sadly isn't anymore. If the company still had the cajones to innovate like they did with Roger Rabbit and be the catalyst for positive paradigm shifts then the company wouldn't be so stagnant in the area it pioneered (animation) and the public wouldn't be subjected to such tripe as Chicken Little, Open Range or Brother Bear. Who Framed Roger Rabbit is and always will be one of Disney's greatest masterpieces and while placing it amongst standard classics such as those previously mentioned is akin to stuffing a square peg into a round hole, it nevertheless deserves to placed on equal footing with them.
    Here here, well said, also kudos for the use of cajones.
    I miss David.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast