Disney's Hawaii Resort...$1 Billion?

Posted on thedisneyblog:

Ko Olina developer Jeff Stone is quoted in the Honolulu Advertiser stating that the Walt Disney Company will spend $1 billion dollars on the resort complex they recently announced.
    "This is an incredible feat for the state," said Stone. Disney is not only one of the largest companies in the world, it is the single largest entertainment company with 132,000 employees and grosses more than $35 billion annually.

"They have decided to come to Hawaii and spend what will amount to about a billion dollars to build the grandest resort in the world — not a theme park," he said. "There won't be any rides. There aren't going to be any submarines. You may see a pirate or two."

You may also see Disney bringing in more than 1,000 jobs, said Stone — many going to area residents who will go through an on-resort training program.
    While I have a hard time believe Disney will spend a billion dollars without also building some sort of entertainment to draw in non-resort guests to the area, it's true that the project will mean lots of increase revenue for Hawaii. (Read)
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Disney's Hawaii Resort...$1 Billion?

$1 billion is not that much money for a megaresort. Most of the giant high-end Vegas resorts cost around $2-$3 billion to build.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Why spend 1 billion dollars on a resort while they could be making a whole new park?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Bernstein229 View Post
    Why spend 1 billion dollars on a resort while they could be making a whole new park?

I'm going to assume that it's because DVC is a hotter comodity right now than the theme park business. I can understand why. The DVC can get really better if they add more DVC hotels in all the vacation hot spots.

Besides...it's Disney. They got the money to blow.

And if it were up to me I would use the billion dollars to fix up the theme parks running right now insteading of building more. Or maybe finally extend the monorails at WDW?

• Earth Intruder

^^ they are sort of using a billion dollars to fix up the parks. This is just ANOTHER billion.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Disney Nerd

As soon as my husband and I heard about this we could only think of one thing.

How would we feel raising our little one in Hawaii?

Duh! We totally started thinking about a transfer. I mean, they're gonna need restaurants. They are going to need some CM's over there with "Disney" experience.

It sounds amazing. If this ends up being as awesome as it should be, they will crack open a whole new market for themselves.