Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Phantom of the Opera?

I know phantom has NOTHING to do with Disney, but what did you think of the movie?

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.

Re: Phantom of the Opera?

Didn't see it.

Hilsbro (a user on here) loves it...it's even in his profile!

• Minion

wooo have to check him out then :P

• insufferable know-it-all

Mod note:

moved thread to entertainment forum

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

I loved the movie.

However,
    The Phantoms inability to sing was very distracting. I would much rather they'd used, say, Brad Little or Michael Ball, since they refused to use Michael Crawford. SOMEONE who can sing, please! Also, they talked through too many sung phrases. Bugged me. It's so patronizing "oh, movie audiences just can't handle characters singing all the time".

All that said, I thought it was visually stunning, and I loved how they handled everything else. Carlotta was such an original portrayal of the character, but every bit IN character that I couldn't get enough of her!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Be-Bop Bear

Avondale, AZ (but wishing I was in Anaheim...)

Loved it although I thought it could have been trimmed by 10-15 minutes.

Now I have to go watch my Phantom DVD...
    "George Bush... is only for now."
    Avenue Q

Just because it's gone doesn't mean I changed my mind!

• Minion

haha carlotta was amazing. though it wasn't minnie driver singing her part, but she DID sing a song at the end during the credits.

i was a little disappointed with the choice of Gerard Butler as the Phantom, i love michael crawford, but he was too old for the part, because they needed someone that had sex appeal and Gerry definetly had that. emmy rossum (christine) and patrick wilson (raoul) were the best they could've chosen.

if you've ever seen the play, they sing most of the time, and when you listen to the play's soundtrack, you realize how much the movie talked through the lines.

over all one of my fav. movies

Michael Crawford WAS a sexy Phantom, even to my 13-year old (at the time) self.

But I know what you're getting at. Still... could have used any of myriad other Phantoms who COULD sing. I even appreciate what they were attempting, getting back to the show's rock and roll roots, but it fell flat, IMHO. Gerard WAS hot, but his inability to carry the role vocally was such a distraction.

And yeah, I HATE that they talked through sung lines.

• Again! Again! Again!

Gerard Butler was hot, but didn't quite have the power for Phantom. But I still thought he was good. Loved the movie. I didn't care for what's-her-face that played Christine. She gave the character too much of "I'm the best singer at the theatre" attitude. Minnie Driver was excellent as Carlotta!!
    Founding member of the B.A. I LOVE US!!
    FratSor Sister-Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ
    I bring the magic!!!
    "If all my friends were to jump off a bridge, I wouldn't jump with them, I'd be at the bottom to catch them"
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend DMother
    Girl bonding is just so necessary. It's just as important as "me" time. A good girl bonding session leaves you feeling so refreshed. I think of it as a NEED vs a want. There are just things that you need to talk to other women with. You may have the best relationship in the world with your husband, but there are just times you need your girlfriends. It makes for a healthier and happier you which makes everything else you do better.

• Minion

maybe all of this is why it didn't do as well as i had hoped it would...

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

Overall I did not enjoy the movie.

Good: Art Direction, Costumes, the sets, Minnie Driver (Carlotta, Miranda Richardson (Madame Giry), Emmy Rossum(Christine), The Adaptation from Play to Screen.

Bad: The Phantom couldn't hold a note in a paper bag, The movies pace was histrionic and without any life, vitality or energy, Aside from my overall love of the costumes the Masquerade number sure lacked color even though the lyrics talk about swirling yellows and spinning reds, Raoul (Patrick Wilson) was not a match in any way to the Phantom as i kept asking why she would chose the way she did, the guy was a waif.

That's all.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• Reaver of Souls

I hated this movie to no end. I love the musical, and have a myriad of Michael Crawford albums and Sarah Brightman albums. I have books, playbills and masks. I have an entire phantom collection. After Evita, I went into this movie with low expectations, and even they were too high. OK, I like Emmy. She's beautiful, and pulled off the whole feel of Christine well, and the production design was fantastic. That's it.

Phantom is and always has been driven by the vocals. It's the songs that make you feel what these people are feeling. When you have people who can't sing, you simply don't have Phantom. Period. I'd have rather seen no names in the parts who could sing, than eye candy with no voice. And who said the character of Phantom was supposed to be sexy? This is a guy who is so hidiously deformed that the first thing his mother gave him was a mask! He lives underground? He kills when he doesn't get his way! This is not a sexy, heartthrob guy, for crying out loud! It's his voice that enchants Christine, not his face. I still say Michael was the only man for this role. A face like that shows no age. The original book by LeRoux stated that Eric had a part in the design of the Opera House. He's not young. He doesn't need to be played by a young guy...

To me, this play has always been an illustration of the conflict of desires. You have Phantom, who's heart and voice win Christine over, and you have Raoul, who is the physicallly attractive draw, and you have Christine in the middle, trying to choose. I've seen the play so many time, and my take is always that her heart is with Phantom, who reaches her on a far deeper leven than Raoul ever could, but it is also Phantom who ultimately realizes that she's better off without him. It's the height of tragedy...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Same problem I had with the movie version of Evita. It was visually stunning and the cast was pretty, but they ruined the music (which is what musicals are all about).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

Gone are the days of a Hello Dolly...

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

I am just glad they didn't cast Antonio Banderas as the Phantom. And don't laugh, it could have happened. Did anyone see the Cameron Mackentosh Special on PBS a few years ago? They had a bunch of famous people from musicals he had produced performing. And Mr. Banderas sang the Phantom's parts with Sarah Brightman. It was horrifying.

John Travolta was also considered for the part. I wasn't expecting anything much- anyone other than Micheal Crawford would have been terrible.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast