Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Possible human remains in Disney's 'pirate' ride - OC Register, 11/14/07

http://www.ocregister.com/news/powde...-ride-security

While Disney officials deny this is a recurring problem, a Disney watchdog blog said that this isn't the only incident of visitors possibly scattering the ashes of loved ones in the rides, specifically dark attractions.

Al Lutz, editor of miceage.com, said crew members get reports up to once a month when witnesses or security cameras catch riders tossing suspicious powders. The Haunted Mansion was the most common choice. Lately, the Pirates ride where the motto is "Dead Men Tell No Tales" has become another popular spot.

Sgt. Rick Martinez, spokesman of the Anaheim Police Department, said after Disney security responded to the report Friday, a police officer was called. But the officer was unable to follow up without a good description of the culprit. Plus, there wasn't enough of the powder to collect for analysis.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Possible human remains in Disney's 'pirate' ride - OC Register, 11/14/07

I had never, ever heard of this prior to today! CRAZY!

I would consider myself a self-proclaimed "Super Disney Fan" and my favorite ride is of course ... "POTC." But, the thought to be scattered among the ride, or any other attraction/part of DLR has never, ever crossed my mind!

On the other hand, I have seen the increase in everything mouse. And I can only imagine a true "die" (pun intended) hard fan wanting to spend eternity at the park. So, I do believe that this has happened before!
    Sparrow, Johnson, Skellington, Black, White, ... Daniels. I just love Jack's!

P.S. You can always visit me on MySpace at: http://myspace.com/miisvegas.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I can assure you it has happened before, I know of stories of it happening at the Haunted Mansion multiple times, and also of folks placing ashes in the landscaping areas around the park, such as the Hub and elsewhere.

It was the first time I heard about happening at POTC, though.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • June 3rd, 2011

I'll believe it when I see it. Been working Mansion now for about 4 months and have yet to see or hear about anything like this happening. I'm pretty sure that I would know about something like this happening at my attraction. I think that maybe Al is wrong on this one. Wouldn't be the first time. As for it happening on POTC? I don't know but I have a few friends who work there and they haven't told me anything as well.
    PirateMunkee

Visit My Horror Designs Store!!!

• Minion

If they do it at pirates do they not know the water does get drained when it gets a refurb?
    Har har har

• just the beernecessities

I've been breathing in the ashes from peoples burned up VCR's and dish towels ever since the fires. I don't see how Aunt Sarah's ashes could be any worse. I can see where this could get ridiculous though.
    Hello everyone!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBaloo View Post
    I've been breathing in the ashes from peoples burned up VCR's and dish towels ever since the fires. I don't see how Aunt Sarah's ashes could be any worse. I can see where this could get ridiculous though.

I don't think its the same as breathing in humans.
    Har har har

• just the beernecessities

Quote Originally Posted by garbear View Post
    I don't think its the same as breathing in humans.
    Yeah you're right, it's probably worse to breathe in VCR's...
    Last edited by HeyBaloo; 11-14-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    Hello everyone!

• MiceChat Partner Site

This is kind of silly. Who in their right mind would spread ashes of the deceased somewhere in an attraction. I know the deceased being may have loved Disney a lot, but this is just wierd. lol. No personal offense to anyone who may have done this.

Visit Disney Reporter - Where the Magic Lives
    (http://www.disneyreporter.net.ms)
    Four years of magic and still going strong.

I remember watching a show on VH1 about obsessed collectors and one segment was a bout a guy who was obsessed with Disney.

He said when he dies, he wants his ashes scattered in Pirates of the Caribbean.

I also remember reading a Disney Urban Legend where a woman did the same thing.

So I have heard about this before, but I didn't think it was that common.

• Mischievous Mouse

Uh-oh... you don't suppose the future holds a new revenue gimmick for DL.
    For X-amount you can have your loved ones remains sealed in a air/water-tight container and placed in hidden/sunken/disguised location in DL?

Naaaaaaa.

Ferget-it

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

Aren't there still real bones on the Pirates ride or have they all been replaced by plastic ones by now?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by piratepixy View Post
    I had never, ever heard of this prior to today! CRAZY!

I would consider myself a self-proclaimed "Super Disney Fan" and my favorite ride is of course ... "POTC." But, the thought to be scattered among the ride, or any other attraction/part of DLR has never, ever crossed my mind!

On the other hand, I have seen the increase in everything mouse. And I can only imagine a true "die" (pun intended) hard fan wanting to spend eternity at the park. So, I do believe that this has happened before!

There have been a few topics about ashes being spread in DL,
    Just do a search here for "ashes" and you'll find quite a few.

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Al was on the 11 PM Channel 7 KABC news here in the Los Angeles area. They had a feature on this story and they interviewed him. Also showed the home page for MiceAge and gave it some good publicity. Anyone else see this?

Never mind. Just saw a whole long thread on this over in the Disneyland area.
    Last edited by Wendygirl; 11-14-2007 at 11:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMunkee View Post
    I'll believe it when I see it. Been working Mansion now for about 4 months and have yet to see or hear about anything like this happening. I'm pretty sure that I would know about something like this happening at my attraction. I think that maybe Al is wrong on this one. Wouldn't be the first time. As for it happening on POTC? I don't know but I have a few friends who work there and they haven't told me anything as well.
    Hi, welcome to Disneyland!

HEPA Cleanups happen routinely at Mansion. If your trainer failed to mention them, or you weren't paying attention 100% during training, you might want to check out the bulletin board near Service at the top of the stairs. Posted on that bulletin board is an announcement from our manager "C" titled "WHAT IS A HEPA CLEANUP?" It has a cute poem about grandma's ashes being spread through the ride, and how us maids and butlers should respond and what to say on the phone when we call Custodial. The HEPA Cleanup poster is next to the flyer about "Holiday Rotations", and it's been up there since at least this past summer. If you haven't noticed it before, read it, it's valuable information. And as always, ask your Lead if you have any questions about anything.

Work Mansion long enough - and at four months of sporadic short shifts you are still just starting out - and you will find piles of ashes at the end of the night when you walk the track. Or, you will see a guest throwing powder out of their buggy in the cameras when you are working Service; assuming you really are paying attention to the cameras in Service.

HEPA Cleanups happen a lot at Mansion. It's much rarer at Pirates, but it happened there too. The Leads working Pirates during the incident were the brunette one with long hair and the blonde one with long hair. They can fill you in on what really happened, as the information given out by Rob Doughty as the official Disneyland spokesman was only about one third truthful. You'll soon learn that the information coming out of the big yellow building is always very different than the reality of what is actually happening inside the park, but that's another thread for another day. Mr. Doughty just provided a perfect example of that for all of us CM's.

In the meantime, read that poster from management at the top of the stairs about how to respond to cremated remains being left in your attraction. The poem the manager wrote about it is pretty clever too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast