Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

• keep moving forward...

Re: Eisner's last day with the Co.?

1 more day guys, im prepared for a nice eisner send off

It's finally here!!! Today is the last day that the devil has any control over the company! It's been a long time coming, and finally Eisner's gone!!!!

• Disney Memory Maker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible
    It's finally here!!! Today is the last day that the devil has any control over the company! It's been a long time coming, and finally Eisner's gone!!!!
    See that character in the avatar you have? That most likely would never have existed if it weren't for Mr. Eisner. In fact, this whole website probably wouldn't have existed if it weren't for Eisner. The Walt Disney Company would have been bought by some other company and likely sold off piece by piece. So instead of calling him the devil, maybe you should start thinking of all the great things he has done for Disney.

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• insufferable know-it-all

You make the assumption that while Michael Eisner DID "save" the company in the 80's, he was somehow the ONLY CEO capable of doing so. If Roy hadn't found Michael, he'd have found somebody else. Imagine if he'd been able to nab a Steve Jobs for the role. There are more than one or two talented CEOs in America. Some of them even have souls.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

Left the church, but not the parishioners.

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    So instead of calling him the devil, maybe you should start thinking of all the great things he has done for Disney.
    A good portion of us were alive and old enough to personally compare the first ten years of Eisner's reign to the last without basing our opinions on printed statistics, media, etc.

The first 10 were great. I liked the man a lot.

The last 10 - HUGE difference. Ever since Frank Wells' death, I saw it take turn for the worst. Granted, it pulled in money, but not for the regular CMs. I was one of those CMs who watched the pay rate take a major nosedive, along with benefits, meanwhile, Mikey padded his own pockets. Disney no longer would pay enough to hire the "cream of the crop" as it had prided itself upon for decades. And now, my friend's job with Disney is being outsourced overseas, all so the execs can keep eating filet mignon for lunch.

While I'm really ecstatic that Mikey will be gone, I'm still a little reserved about Iger. He's got a LOT of cleaning up to do, if he chooses to do it.

• insufferable know-it-all

The very things that worked for him in the beginning, the moves which gave Disney the capital to do the great stuff it did... were the very same lines of thinking that caused the company to hit the huge downward spiral in more recent years.

When Eisner first took the helm, one of the things that helped save the company was the mining of existing brands - selling the classics on video rather than re-releasing them every few years. That gave the company a huge boost of income which helped finance Eisner's golden years. Unfortunately, that same mindset (mine everything you've got for every penny it'll get you), is the same one that has led to the creation of "dreck-to-video" sequels, reduction in budgets/quality at the theme parks (once the division that kept the company alive), etc.

I've said it before, but let me restate this here: Eisner had a time and place at Disney. His particular set of gifts as a CEO were perfect for a company rich in intellectual assets and poor in cash flow and capital. However, once he got the company up and big, his effectiveness was near an end. However, he was "doing too well" to remove. Unfortunately, that means the pendulum began to swing past "middle" and out the other way. If Eisner had retired at the top of his game, right around when Wells died, his "legacy" would have been next to heroic. But just like Wayne Gretzky cannot gracefully bow out of hockey, Michael had to "stick it out" well beyond his usefulness to the company. He really should have taken his skills on to the next sleeping giant corporation.

Let's not miss the forest for the trees here. Moussolini did some great things in his time too - got the trains to run on time - but that doesn't erase the fact that he was a fascist. I'm not saying Eisner's anything near as bad as Moussolini, I'm just trying to remind you that someone having done good things does not erase the bad things they've done, so please do not ask folks to forget the last 10 years of damage he's done to the company just because he had 10 good years before it.

I mean, hey, the Disney stores ROCKED when Paul Pressler was in charge of them, but I'm still not going to forget that his later maintenance policies led to the deaths of two people.

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Morrigoon
    I'm not saying Eisner's anything near as bad as Moussolini,...
    But you're thinking it...and now we all are too!
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456