Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

High hopes for Disney's "SKY HIGH"

Interesting article from The Hollywood Reporter
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000989720

Re: High hopes for Disney's "SKY HIGH"

Am I the only one who thinks that Sky High looks like a live action rip off of The Incredibles? I loved The Incredibles, but this one just looks too similar. The only thing I'm anticipating from this film is the score by Michael Giacchino, who is already one of my favourite composer of all time!

• Minion

i dunno i have high hopes for it too. looks pretty good to me.

• They wanna know, HO!

It looks like a rip-off of X-Men, if you removed the X-Men, cool powers, story, and good acting.

I can't see this breaking #3 the first week of opening and then falling quickly.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• Iron-Clad Allie

Sky High is along the same vein as The Incredibles. Both films are about families, with each member possesing different superpowers. In addition, each of these families have as much of a problem dealing with everyday life as they do fighting super villains. It would have been a big mistake should Disney had decided to do a live action version of The Incredibles, strait-out. Sky High follows the formula, but it's a unique plot with intriquing characters. Kurt Ressel's daughter in the film, for instance, has the power to control vegitation. Humorously, she is advertised as "having her feet firmly planted on the ground".

As far as Marvel Comics go, I would compare the film to The Fantastic Four (essentially a family) far more than the X-Men. Comparisons like these will only serve to draw in a larger audience. The current wave of interest in the superhero genre is yet another reason Sky High is destined to do well at the bos office. Plus, a steady flow of major hits already has caused moviegoers to turn out at theaters this summer, amd in big numbers.

All of this is why I took a poll a few weeks ago on how many MiceChatters think that Sky High might replace the Honey, I Shrunk the Audience in DL's Tomorrowland. Most said that they think it stands a huge chance if the fim is a hit. This would be far better than another Pixar based attraction being slated for the land. Buzz and Nemo are enough, and I think Matt Ouimat knows it. Plus the Magic Eye Theater has a history of Live action.

I have had high hopes for Sky High for some time.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 07-24-2005 at 09:39 AM.

They played a 10 min. (or so) scene at Comic Con this year. It was pretty good, so I'm sort o' sold on it.

•   
    • Minion

I think it will flop... I just have that feeling about it... Kurk Russel or not... I just don't think it is going to work...
    Check out my other blog:

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Well, it seems to be testing pretty well with audiences- its extremely kid friendly with some pretty fantastic cameos thrown in for adult amusement (Bruce Campbell, Lynda Carter, Dave Foley, Kevin McDonald)

I look for it to have a strong opening weekend- it is going up against "Must Love Dogs" (crappy Cusak vehicle) and "Stealth" (need I say more) It will probably open second and remain strong throughout the summer- there is nothing else of its target audience to compete with until Valient opens in late August.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• keep moving forward...

a freind of mine almost had a part in that movie... he had a call back for the part and everything... he almost had it too, he almost had the part of the sidekick who could melt into liquid, he barely lost the part.

• keep moving forward...

i heard there is already a disney channel series in the works that takes place after the movie.

Well, I saw the movie this morning and I went into it really wanting to like it and I came out of it liking it alot. Fun super-hero film without the bagage of being a comic. Had some laughs for the adults and some for the kids. Story was there as was the acting. Kurt Russell was really good in this.

In a word - Enjoyable.

8.5 bornieos out of 10!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

'Stealth' crashes on takeoff at U.S. box office By Dean Goodman
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Moviegoers shot down a costly action movie for the second consecutive weekend as the $100 million military film "Stealth" opened at No. 4 with sales of just $13.5 million, according to studio estimates issued on Sunday.

After two weekends as the box office bridesmaid, the comedy "Wedding Crashers" swapped places with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to lead the field with three-day sales of $20.5 million, signaling moviegoers are not as averse to raunchy hijinks as the studios think they are.

Of the three new entries in the top 10, the superhero comedy "Sky High" did the best, opening at No. 3 with $14.6 million, exceeding observers' forecasts. The romantic comedy "Must Love Dogs" rounded out the rookies with a solid $13.1 million start at No. 5.

Walt Disney Co.'s "Sky High," which sources said cost just under $40 million to make, stars Kurt Russell as the head of a family of superheroes. Industry tracking experts had forecast the movie would open in the $10 million-$12 million range. Disney distribution president Chuck Viane was hopeful the movie would follow a similar trajectory as its recent release "Herbie: Fully Loaded," which opened with $12.7 million and is on its way to about $66 million.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    After two weekends as the box office bridesmaid, the comedy "Wedding Crashers" swapped places with "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" to lead the field with three-day sales of $20.5 million, signaling moviegoers are not as averse to raunchy hijinks as the studios think they are.
    I saw "Wedding Crashers" this weekend with my husband (we went to a matinee) and there was an older couple sitting in front of us. I pointed them out to my husband and whispered "This is not their kind of movie" I thought maybe they thought it was about something else. To my surprise and delight, both of them, especially the older lady, laughed hysterically the entire time! It was a riot watching them so enjoying a movie obviously targeted to a much younger crowd.

I hope to be that old lady someday

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Was it at The ArcLight?!
    ArcLight's Unique "21+ Screenings"
    Back by popular demand, "Wedding Crashers" will be the "21+ screenings" selection this weekend. Enjoy your martini, beer or other favorite libation while watching your movie. Admission restricted to those age 21 and over, ID required.

We went last Friday - TOO MUCH FUN!

• Senior Minion

Woow, I need to spend a day at the movies and it looks like 2 0f the three movies I need to catch up on. Flat out I need to go see Sky High. I have always been a Kurt Russell fan, and enjoyed most of his films. Thanks for the reviews
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast