Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: FIREFLY returns, SERENITY next

The newst Serenity trailer premiered this weekend on "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalow" It translates really well on the big screen. I think it is going to draw in a lot of new fans. The trailer for Aeon Flux premiered on the same film and Serenity has it beat by a mile.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

September 11, 2005 Los Angeles FALL SNEAKS
    Taking his craft back to space
    Out-of-this-world fan support for a futuristic TV show helps Joss Whedon resurrect it as a movie.
    By Maria Elena Fernandez, Times Staff Writer

It's fitting, and sweetly vengeful, that a television show born of a writer's zeal for frontier life is now itself conquering new borders.

"Serenity," the new incarnation of the futuristic space western "Firefly," which briefly aired in 2002 on Fox, will premiere as a Universal Pictures feature on Sept. 30 — with the TV cast intact. So how has director-writer Joss Whedon been able to take his failed television series from the small screen to the big?

That's simple, says Whedon, also the creator of the cult hits "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "Angel."

"Probably more than any project that I can think of, the fans made their voices heard," Whedon said. "For a major motion picture, that's a little bit unprecedented. I give them giant props because they have earned them."

After Fox yanked the show off its schedule, the loyal fans launched websites and bought more than a million copies of the DVD (which featured extra episodes). It was enough to convince Universal in 2004 that the story of the ragtag crew of the starship Serenity was worth telling.

"I always thought the show would catch on slowly, and it's done exactly that," Whedon said.

The crew of mercenaries and misfits aboard Serenity is led by Capt. Mal (Nathan Fillion), who has ended up on the wrong side of a galactic civil war against ominous forces, known as the Alliance.

Whedon's challenge was to take his episodic tale of people living aboard a transport ship 500 years in the future and flesh it out into a two-hour film that would satisfy the devoted as well as audiences who never saw his TV series.

"Luckily, I did have an overreaching arc, a grand conspiratorial story of adventure that they were going to get caught up in," Whedon said. "The basis of the movie was 'Let's take the most mundane people in the universe and let's stick them in a truly epic situation and see how they react.' "

Whedon conceived the pilot for "Firefly" after he finished reading "The Killer Angels," an account of the Battle of Gettysburg, one night in London when he was jet-lagged.

"Reading that kind of book just flipped the switch and made me realize that I have a deep love for this particular frontier story," he said. "When you're dealing with science fiction, if it has any kind of history in it, everything is interesting and everything is useful. Frontier stories are always so unique and secluded and harsh and interesting and I just thought that's what it must be like to be aboard a spaceship, when you're trying to make a living and you're living hand to mouth flying between planets."
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

and from New York Magazine Fall Preview 2005 - Movies
    The Final Frontier By Ken Tucker

Rejoice: Joss Whedon is back. The man who gave us Buffy will launch Serenity, the big-screen version of his short-lived, super-clever 2002 outer-space-Western series Firefly. “John Wayne movies were my initial inspiration,” says Whedon. “But I think of this one as more of a platoon movie: a gang of nine characters to quickly introduce to moviegoers who never had a chance to meet them. Then I plunge them into a lot of danger and get as many of them out as fast as I can. Add wisecracks. Roll credits.” Asked if he can turn a flop TV show into a movie hit, he laughs: “Well, sure, but Serenity’s not a slam-dunk because—d’ohh!—I forgot to put Dakota Fanning in it! I would go back to TV, but only with enough power, so that I wouldn’t have my heart torn out of me again.”

Serenity
    Written and directed by Joss Whedon
    Universal Pictures
    opens September 30 (PG-13).
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Thanks for the new info, I passed this one to hubby, I swear he was foaming at the mouth raving about conversion parties. We just rewatched Objects in Space tonight, such a great, great show

• Rainicorn.

Has everyone seen the River Tam videos?

www.session416.com
    Well, light travels from the sun. Then, bounces off of our planet, and back into our eyes so we can perceive color. My body can intercept that light and dance around on it!

-- robotarmada.net --

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

New international poster from Germany:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

HELLO! Captain Mal is such a doll!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Hubby's been watching the extravaganza on SciFi today! We're all set for this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueen
    My husband were just talking about the posibility of the show getting picked up by someone else- I hope it happens because it is awesome!
    I don't know about the show being picked up but Whedon recently said the entire cast has signed on to do two sequels if Serenity is a hit.
    You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12