•   

Rant - Why does Disney allow fan produced DVD's to be sold for profit?

Howdy.

I realize that this may have been discussed before, but I could not find that thread.

A few minutes ago I went to eBay and searched for items containing the words "Disneyland" and "50". I was surprised to see a fan-produced DVD for sale covering some of the Disneyland 50th anniversary events. I looked further down the page and noticed that there were at least 10 others for sale as well. Many of the DVD's contained footage from current, still in operation attractions.

I have thought a great deal about this and I have some questions I would like to get feedback on.
    1. Why does Disney allow this?
    2. There is obviously a market for this type of material. If you look at the seller's feedback rating, it's easy to see that over 2000 DVD's have been sold. Why does Disney not see this and create professional versions?
    3. Is this activity unethical?

I have seen this videographer's work online for years and I am grateful that he/she has posted it for everyone to see for free. I am a little concerned that this hobby has now turned into a business. I am happy that he/she is able to have his/her own part time business, but I consider selling these DVD's to be wrong.

For example, the 50th DVD contains footage from the current Parade of Dreams, even though it may have been filmed two years ago. What right does the seller have to film that performance and make money off of it? I would be willing to bet that the performers in the parade are not getting any residual payments from the DVD maker. Don't you think they should get a piece of the profits? Now, if Disney made and sold a video it would be different, but the profiteer is not the performers' employer.

Here's another example. If you took a video recorder into an NFL football game and recorded the game, what do you think would happen if you tried to sell that video on eBay? I don't think you would have much success. Why? Because the NFL owns the rights to the rebroadcast of the game. Disney also owns the rights to the rebroadcast of their shows, fireworks and parades. Just because they choose not to enforce it does not mean that their rights would not be upheld in court.

I could care less if the seller in question makes a lot of money or not. That is not my issue. My concern is what will happen when Disney is FORCED to make a decision on this. Will they become like Universal Studios and ban videotaping and photography on virtually all rides? I think that is what they will likely do. And that will affect me, because I like to photograph and videotape attractions FOR FUN. I don't want to lose that PRIVILEGE because some people thought they had the right to make money off of Disney.

I'm really somewhat peeved about this right now, so my argument is not as coherent as it could be. I just can't believe people are playing Russian roulette with this. It's not fair to the hundreds of thousands of visitors to the parks who might be affected by a change in policy, should it occur.

This needs to stop. It's just wrong.

Thanks for listening to my rant.
    Last edited by PhotoMatt; 11-22-2007 at 08:06 PM.

• This space for rent

Re: Rant - Why does Disney allow fan produced DVD's to be sold for profit?

My personal view on the videos(as well as photos) for sale, is that I think it's lame to take video, and or shoot photos from the parks and rides and then sell them, no matter what the reason is, and no matter how good (or bad) the quality of the media is. If someone's truly a fan and wants to share it with the world, they'll find a way to offer them for free to the public (in this day and age it's not too hard) but that's just my 2 cents worth.

I think if any of the photos/videos for sale companies get big enough, they'll step in and quickly put an end to it. I also think Disney and any other companies don't really want the bad press involved by shutting down the "little guy", unless it's a clear copyright violation thing. Plus it would also give the person/s selling the theme park media, more attention.

I don't have a problem with Universal being stricter about taping in their rides, since most of it's rides are more thrill oriented in one way or another, where as WDW has more of the slow moving rides.

I think Disney will leave the policy it already has in place for the slower rides, and they already don't want you filming/ shooting while on their thrill rides, so I don't see it changing because of some home movies/ photos for sale. As I said earlier more than likely they'll shutdown these small companies via legal action.

It would be cool if the parks did offer videos of the rides/ shows themselves though, but probably someone higher up thinks then people wouldn't come back as much if they were to sell them.

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

If they choose not to enforce it, I'd stop caring. That's their right. In reality, such infringement probably helps Disney. It adds buzz. It advertises. It keeps people talking about and coveting trips to the parks. And the money it "steals" from the company is probably all phantom profit: a project that Disney never pursued because it couldn't sell enough of the product cost-effectively. The seller's sold 2000 DVDs? That's not a lot of money. If the market would buy 250,000 DVDs, maybe it would be worth Disney's time.
    Fight On! Beat the Bulldogs!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Speaking of "drive-by" my cousin just became the new drummer for -Train-
    This device kills fascists.

• Iron-Clad Allie

I think that Disney gets kickbacks.

When Disney produces promotional videos, the people that they choose to be in them are all sound scripted - the hosts, and even the touristy looking guests. Wouldn't be surprised if the "guests" were either paid or else somebody at Disney's relatives or friends. This is why commercial Disney videos of the parks reak of suckiness and the people in them come across as dorks.

There are likely some at Disney that realize that outside videos of Disney parks are the only way to avoid the phoney way, even if unofficial parties market them for profit. About the only "blogger" that Disney has said no to is good ol' Jim Hill.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Sadly, the only way to get many Walt Disney film and TV library films is via the fan bootleggers.

Want Song of the South, Dr. Syn Alias the Scarecrow, The Monkey's Uncle, Disneyland Showtime or the complete Zorro series? You have to go to genre conventions or search the web for inferior DVD copies or used VHS or laser - - they are out there, sometimes going for a lot of money (the prices commanded for used SOTS and Dr Syn copies on Amazon clearly show the pent up demand).

I wish Walt Disney Home Video would wake up to embrace marketing the classics enthusiastically - - all of them. It would curb the pirates to make legal copies available.

• Minion

Personally, I'm ok with it. It provides a service I enjoy without all that tacky fake Disney polish they put on everything these days. When Walt was alive, everything felt genuine. When I watch the old Disneyland shows, I love how everything feels "real". Walt's charisma and enthusiasm is subtle but still prevalent. Everything Disney produces today has WAY too much gloss for my taste.

Look at Disney related podcasts. The unoffical podcasts have so much more substance instead of filler. I would be upset if Disney didn't allow any filming at all in the rides, but as it stands currently it works nicely.

I love watching my Extinct Attractions video of the original Submarine Voyage/Motorboat Cruise...

•   

I've thought about this since my original post and my new opinion is...I don't care anymore.

As long as I can keep videotaping on the rides for myself then it does not matter.

I appreciate the opinions of those who have responded. Thanks for your input.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian View Post
    Personally, I'm ok with it. It provides a service I enjoy without all that tacky fake Disney polish they put on everything these days. When Walt was alive, everything felt genuine. When I watch the old Disneyland shows, I love how everything feels "real". Walt's charisma and enthusiasm is subtle but still prevalent. Everything Disney produces today has WAY too much gloss for my taste.

Look at Disney related podcasts. The unoffical podcasts have so much more substance instead of filler. I would be upset if Disney didn't allow any filming at all in the rides, but as it stands currently it works nicely.

I love watching my Extinct Attractions video of the original Submarine Voyage/Motorboat Cruise...
    I agree Soul. These type of DVD's are the only things that let me relive my childhood memories of attractions that no longer exists. These DVD's also let me experience yesterland attractions that I never had a chance to ride.