• Circle of Ancients

The Secret (Movie)

Does anybody know what this is?

I received a DVD in the mail today. I thought it was something I ordered online, but it wasn't. It was from an address that said "Amazon" and had a central CA address. Inside is this movie.

I've looked at the website http://www.thesecret.tv/home.html but still can't figure out what it is. It looks like it might be a Jesus thing (nothing wrong with that) but I'm not sure.

The website is rather vague on what it is.

Has anybody seen this? Does anybody know what it is?

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Re: The Secret (Movie)

My friend swore by it...but it's something of a joke TO ME. There's several spoofs of it online--it's a positive thinking bit where, if you really wanted something, really wanted it, you'll get it.

As for the details? Well, that's up to you.

It's one of those things were wealthy people invent a product, market it, send free DVDs and then people spend beaucoup bucks on going to their workshops. They get richer and you focus on getting what you want...which is what you'd do anyhows.

I think there might have been previous threads, but I can't remember.

I'd toss it, frankly. If you are having motivation problems, then you seek answers--but if it's sent to you and then asks for money, money and more money, I'd skip it.

That's my opinion.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

You got a free coaster in the mail!

• Infinitized!

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Does anybody know what this is?
    Has anybody seen this? Does anybody know what it is?
    Can't tell you, it's a secret.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

I can't believe people actually are into this...sickening really. Give it to someone with low self esteem.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, that's what I figured. Too bad they don't sell it in the stores or something, I could just return it. LOL!!!

• Incognito

Blog Entries

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

• Man O Lantern

Oh my God, we got that last year--it was sent to my daughter. I was SO mad!!

Anyway, enjoy!!

• All You Need is Love!

Oprah is really into it. But if you ask me, it's a bunch of BS. All it says is that if you want somthing enough, you will get it. Like if I wanted a car full of money and Krispy Kreme Donuts really REALLY bad, it would magically appear in my kitchen.

Someone needs to tell people THIS IS NOT HOW LIFE WORKS!!!
    (\_/) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (='.'=) signature to help him gain world domination

• Circle of Ancients

Well, if Oprah likes it, it must be good. /sarcasm

• Minion

I got something like that in the mail except now i only have seven days to live.
    P.S quantum Physics maybe BS but still an interesting notion.

• GO DBACKS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
    Oprah is really into it. But if you ask me, it's a bunch of BS. All it says is that if you want somthing enough, you will get it. Like if I wanted a car full of money and Krispy Kreme Donuts really REALLY bad, it would magically appear in my kitchen.

Someone needs to tell people THIS IS NOT HOW LIFE WORKS!!!
    Well, not exactly. It stresses the power of positive thinking, having a plan for you life and taking positive steps to fulfill what you want your life to be.

I have seen it, and while it's not something I go around preaching, I didn't find it offensive. Not sure what everyone else has been seeing that makes them reply with such anger over it. I also didn't see anywhere on it where people were asking for money. I don't remember any solicitation for a seminar either but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

What's the big deal? If it's not your thing then ignore it.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Circle of Ancients

Well, the question has been answered.

No, I still don't know what "The Secret" is ...

The DVD came from ... My Mom.

But it's not for us. Her partner wanted it for christmas and she had it sent to our house. Not sure if she realizes what it is, or if she just saw it on Oprah.

Good thing I didn't toss it.

• and too all a good fright

Quote Originally Posted by Earkid View Post
    Well, not exactly. It stresses the power of positive thinking, having a plan for you life and taking positive steps to fulfill what you want your life to be.

I have seen it, and while it's not something I go around preaching, I didn't find it offensive. Not sure what everyone else has been seeing that makes them reply with such anger over it. I also didn't see anywhere on it where people were asking for money. I don't remember any solicitation for a seminar either but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

What's the big deal? If it's not your thing then ignore it.

I work for a book company, so I am more familiar with The Secret than I care to be. The Secret doesn't get me angry, but I do think it is a bunch of BS.
    The message is fine, positive thinking brings good results. But the Secret doesn't really stress putting positive thinking into positive actions. It is a bit simplistic in this regard.

I think that the reason most people are annoyed by the secret is that it is simply a HUGE marketing gimmick. The movie, in particular, makes it sound as if the secret is some long lost wisdom akin to the library at Alexandria. In reality, this book is nothing more than a rehash of what other people have said before and said better. Kudos to the author for finding a way to make millions off of redundant information.

I'm all for putting positive vibes into the world, but this book/movie/seminar seems to be more about carnival hucksterism than really helping anyone.