Bale to Star in next Terminator

From MSN.com:

Sometimes those outlandish Internet rumors are true. During the holiday weekend, Ain't It Cool News (aka "geek central") reported that Christian Bale had agreed to play a grown-up John Connor in the fourth installment of the "Terminator" franchise. "Terminator Salvation: The Future Begins" (what a title) is currently in preproduction at Warner Bros. and under the eye of not-so-visionary director McG for a summer 2009 release. Not surprisingly, many just brushed the report aside as another fan-boy daydream. Bale is obviously set financially with Chris Nolan's "Batman" series, and why would an actor who spent weeks in the jungles of Thailand with acclaimed filmmaker Werner Herzog want to work with a director whose career achievement is "Charlie's Angels"? And considering how much time "Batman Begins" and "The Dark Knight" have taken out of his schedule (the "Knight" shoot took more than six months), why would he commit to what is expected to be the first of three new "Terminator" movies? Those questions have yet to be answered, but on a hunch, I contacted someone close to the production who, much to my surprise, confirmed Bale is in serious talks for the role but hasn't yet signed on the dotted line.
    What is known about the latest "Terminator" is that the story line will find Connor (previously played by Edward Furlong in "Terminator 2" and Nick Stahl in "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines") battling a world overrun by Skynet in the not-so-distant future. The chances of the original Terminator, California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, appearing for a cameo are slim. Although Warner Bros. is involved in both the new movie and the new FOX series "The Sarah Connor Chronicles," it's unclear whether the story lines will reflect one another. Bale received stellar reviews this fall for his role in James Mangold's "3:10 to Yuma" and can currently be seen playing one of six Bob Dylans in Todd Haynes' intriguing "I'm Not There." "The Dark Knight" arrives in theaters July 18.
    Sounds interesting.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Bale to Star in next Terminator

I heard this and was like "okay how many versions of John Connor are there?" Also aintitcoolnews.com isn't geek central... I hang out there a lot...

• Circle of Ancients

Interesting. I liked the first two Terminators the third one not so much. Maybe Bale will make it a Box office hit.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

This sounds like such a step backward for his career, playing second fiddle on a much grander scale to fx/cgi.

His breakthrough acting in the past two years alone with 'The Prestige', 'Rescue Dawn', '3:10 to Yuma' and 'I'm Not There' seems reason enough to continue beyond other's sequels.

I could be persuaded otherwise perhaps if James Cameron and his team were back at the helm though.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Iron-Clad Allie

Wouldn't it be cool if they put Bale (in his role as the Terminater) up against Batman (potrayed by another big name actor). Then Bale could team up with Mr. Freeze (played by Arnold). How cool it would then be to have Batman kill them both off.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• phbbbbbt

I Christian Bale. I remember him in Empire of the Sun, I was in high school, and he was such a great kid actor. I am so glad to see he grew up well, and is still working!
    xo, Deanna

• Banned User

Hmm... By the thread title I assumed that it was stating that Bale would be a Terminator, which (with American Psycho in mind) I found intriguing. Then it turns out that he's playing Conner. Meh. Then it's directed by McG, who is probably the only director who makes Michael Bay look like an artist. Now we've reached "Lame" status.

Looks like this one's straight to Netflix for me.

• Infinitized!

Supposedly it's not just one Terminator movie that they want to make but a whole second trilogy.

• Senior Minion

Bale is on top of the world right about now.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Hell, I'd pay $20 to watch him brush his teeth and tie his shoes (same goes for Ewan McGregor).