Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray (Continuation of thread in News)

Since the original thread in the "News" section pretty much ran it's course, I thought the continuing subject would be more appropriate here.

Here is the thread in news if you need to catch up.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ats-82105.html

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray (Continuation of thread in News)

I got a catalog in the mail a week or 2 ago that had a DVD player that plays both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs. Cost like $800 though.

• Huh?

LG makes the combo players... the problem with some of them is that they are not capable of all of the features that the standalone versions have.

I believe that the last one they released would actually play both to their full capabilities.
    -Tim

• Freakster

A great overview of the current state of HD-DVD and blu-ray from Gizmodo.com today. Found it very interesting.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/the-state...dvd-330684.php

• Old Timer

Disney should sell it movies on BOTH formats because otherwise they have already lost half the market. I am against big outfits saying they endorse one or the other and thusly they have lost me as a buyer, to date I have not a single Disney DVD in either BR or HD.
    Micechat member # 98

TARDIS
    "Time And Relative Dimension In Space."

• Huh?

I wouldn't say it's half the market, especially the world market. It mainly survives because of the US, where we have 30% of the weekly sales being HD-DVD. Other countries, it can go as low as 5% of the market. Based on the world's market, they were smart to support the larger share.

In related news, Michael Bay posted this on his website a few days ago:

What you don't understand is corporate politics. Microsoft wants both formats to fail so they can be heroes and make the world move to digital downloads. That is the dirty secret no one is talking about. That is why Microsoft is handing out $100 million dollar checks to studios just embrace the HD DVD and not the leading, and superior Blu Ray. They want confusion in the market until they perfect the digital downloads. Time will tell and you will see the truth.
    Sounds like a possible situation here...

At least Michael Bay has been a bit more stable in his views lately and not going back on his words every other day anymore. He's been rather upset over the cancellation of Transformers on Blu-Ray...
    -Tim

• Freakster

The fact that Michael Bay's films will only be on HD-DVD is a good selling point for Blu-ray.

• Professional Lurker

I have both formats and I gotta say that I like my HD-DVD titles more. The picture and sound differences are negligible on my 50 inch 1080p plasma, but the extras on the HD-DVD are more impressive. I especially love the extras on Transformers and 300. The price point on the HD-DVD players is also more attractive, but from what I'm seeing, there will be no clear winner in this format war. I will be interested to see what the next format offering will be though.

• Earth Intruder

Interesting article I just checked out at engadget regarding WB's possible switch to Bluray only (which would, obviously, hurt HD-DVD immensely as WB is the only dual-format holdout studio).

As far as the two formats are concerned, I think that the gizmodo article above that ekester linked to isn't very well informed with respect to the Harry Potter dual-release, since it seemed to slant that HD-DVD had more features, which isn't true.

Here's some of the text from the engadget article about the releases of Harry Potter:

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget.com
    For the most part, Warner has always offered the same content on both format, and if anything, Blu-ray fans have complained that Warner doesn't take advantage of Blu-ray's extra capacity. Well, with Order of the Phoenix, Warner has pulled out the stops and has pitted interactivity vs HD supplemental video, because while the HD DVD version includes Warner's IME and web content, the Blu-ray version includes HD supplements and a 44 minute high-def TV special called, The Hidden Secrets of Harry Potter -- that was left out of the HD DVD version completely. The other big difference enabled by Blu-ray's additional capacity is an extensive list of foreign language surround sound tracks and sub-titles -- at the same time the HD DVD is a combo disc without the $10 premium. So dual format owners will have to choose between interactivity and HD supplements -- or maybe they'll just choose to save $5 and go with the Blu-ray version.
    So the HD-DVD version is more money, and interactive features like web advertisements. Versus Bluray which has hi-def supplements (due to the extra capacity) such as a 44-minute documentary.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 12-07-2007 at 12:51 PM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    In related news, Michael Bay posted this on his website a few days ago:

Sounds like a possible situation here...

At least Michael Bay has been a bit more stable in his views lately and not going back on his words every other day anymore. He's been rather upset over the cancellation of Transformers on Blu-Ray...
    I don't know why Michael Bay is picking on Microsoft. Apple is also pushing for downloads rather than either Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    I don't know why Michael Bay is picking on Microsoft. Apple is also pushing for downloads rather than either Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD.
    Not quite as much... Microsoft is quietly abandoning the HD-DVD add-on for the 360 (they should've learned their lesson from Sega -- add-on drives to consoles rarely survive long). Apple, on the other hand, has a bit of Disney on their side and is a backer of Blu-Ray.

Most people in computer fields that need tons of storage have been rooting for a Blu win for a while now.
    -Tim

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

DVD Marketers Battle for Format Supremacy
    December 10, 2007
    By Gregory Solman

Adweek

Excerpt:

Meanwhile, the BDA is spending upwards of $4 million domestically on its own print and online efforts, per Nielsen Monitor-Plus, with the most recent execution, "I Do Blu," showing a Sony Blu-ray player and a Sony HD display romantically entangled by their twisted electric cords.

Recently, the emphasis on HD versions of movies transitioned from a now obligatory tag about the format to the creative theme itself. According to a studio source, Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment's marketing already reflects that shift. Upcoming Blu-ray DVD releases from the studio, including Lost, High School Musical and Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End, which came out last week, are now tagged with Blu-ray promotion across all mass media. And giant titles such as Pirates are earning separate 60-second spots for broadcast on HD Net with half the message devoted to the special Blu-ray features.

In the other camp, Omnicom's GSD&M Idea City, Austin, fashioned the current three-spot package for the release of DreamWorks SKG's Shrek the Third, in which the animated characters banter with a supposed DreamWorks exec about how good they look in the HD-DVD format. Jonathan Silverstein, GSD&M svp, business development and new ventures, said that Toshiba licensed the DreamWorks footage and placed the media buy, and DreamWorks hired the agency. The terms of the arrangement between the manufacturer and studio were undisclosed by both parties. He added, "The technology has gotten so confusing, [manufacturers] have been relying on point-of-sale education, but now they're looking at point of difference, and seeing a need to differentiate on brand."

http://www.adweek.com/aw/search/arti..._id=1003682983
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Earth Intruder

Nielsen/VideoScan Numbers ending December 9th

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/ques...1607/index.php

WE: BD-76% HDD-24% YTD: BD-65% HDD-35% SI: BD-62% HDD-38%

Wow. Pirates must really have kicked it up a notch -- Bluray had their best week ever since the hi-def wars started. Blu-ray has 8 of the top 10 best selling Hi-def titles.

The wierd thing in all of this is that the top HD-DVD release is Planet Earth:The Complete Series, which is doing better than the Bluray version (if any of you get a Hi-def system, then this series is a must, btw, to show off what the system can do.... well, that, and Ratatouille, if you have Bluray).

Next week will be interesting because that's when the Harry Potter (dual format) numbers will start to show up.
    Last edited by Chernabog; 12-14-2007 at 11:34 AM.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Is the war over at this point? At this point it looks like a body builder whipping up on Steve Urkle

Warner Brothers jumped ship and went to Blu-ray only
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ray-86954.html

New Line just stepped up and stated its going to Blu-ray.

The HD-DVD camp still trying to get up from the Warner death blow has officially cancelled a major press event that was supposed to take place at CES.

People are beig told not to buy HD-DVD players by major sites:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-6462511-1.html
    (quick quote)
    Editor's note, January 5, 2008: Because of the recent news that Warner Bros. Entertainment will be exclusively supporting Blu-ray, CNET recommends refraining from purchasing an HD DVD player in the near future. Exclusive support of Warner Bros. Entertainment gives Blu-ray a large advantage in terms of studio backing, leaving only Paramount and Universal as major studios releasing movies exclusively on the HD DVD format. This guide will be overhauled after CES to reflect this and any other news announced at the show
    Blu-ray players whooped up on the cheaper HD-DVD players over the Christmas season:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#newblu
    Meanwhile, industry observer "Media Wonk" (aka Paul Sweeting) has also posted an interesting feature over at Content Agenda, in which a couple of points that we've been making lately here at The Bits are confirmed by Warner's Sanders. First, Blu-ray stand alone players outsold HD-DVD in December. Here's the quote:

"One of the things you see in the NPD data for this fourth quarter was that even with a $100 [price] premium, Blu-ray set tops outsold HD set tops in December. Even with Toshiba having the lowest-cost player in the market, software sales remained 2 to 1 in favor of Blu-ray."

Even Michael Bay has something to say:
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forum...=9716#post9716
    Well another studio down. Maybe I was right? Blu ray is just better. HD will die a slow death. It's what I predicted a year ago. Now with Warner's down for the count with Blu Ray. That makes it easier for Wal-Mart to push Blu Ray. And whatever Wal-Mart pushes - wins. Hd better start giving out those $120 million dollars checks to stay alive. Maybe they can give me some so I can give it to my Make-A-Wish charity, just to shut me up. Have faith people Transformers will come out in Blu-ray one day!

Bay
    R.I.P HD-DVD
    Last edited by SoCal; 01-05-2008 at 08:47 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

In North America, WDSHE will be releasing new theatrical titles to Blu-ray Disc day-and-date with DVD including The Game Plan (Walt Disney Pictures) on January 22; Gone Baby Gone and Becoming Jane (both Miramax) on February 12; and Dan In Real Life (Touchstone Pictures) on March 11. WDSHE will expand its catalogue titles on Blu-ray Disc with the releases of The Rock (Hollywood Pictures) and Con Air (Touchstone Pictures) on January 8; Crimson Tide (Hollywood Pictures) on February 5; The Rookie (Walt Disney Pictures) on March 4; Hidalgo (Touchstone Pictures), "Coyote Ugly: The Double Shot Edition" (Touchstone Pictures), Unbreakable (Touchstone Pictures), The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (Walt Disney Pictures) and "National Treasure: Collector's Edition" (Walt Disney Pictures) in spring 2008.

In Europe/Australia, WDSHE will roll out Blu-ray Discs in 2008 beginning with The Recruit (Touchstone Pictures) in January; and Dark Water (Touchstone Pictures) in February; Underdog (Walt Disney Pictures) and Starsky & Hutch (Buena Vista) in February; Coyote Ugly (Touchstone Pictures) and The Rookie (Walt Disney Pictures) in March; Hidalgo (Touchstone Pictures) and Gone Baby Gone (Miramax) in April; Signs (Touchstone Pictures), There Will Be Blood (Miramax), Shall We Dance (Miramax), Ladder 49 (Touchstone Pictures), The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (Walt Disney Pictures) and "National Treasure: Collector's Edition" (Walt Disney Pictures) in May; and The Game Plan (Walt Disney Pictures) and Unbreakable (Touchstone Pictures) in summer 2008.

Japan will see WDSHE release Blu-ray titles starting with Hollywoodland (Miramax) in February; The Rookie (Walt Disney Pictures), Hidalgo (Touchstone Pictures), Meet the Robinsons (Walt Disney Pictures), and Starsky & Hutch (Buena Vista) in April; The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe (Walt Disney Pictures), Coyote Ugly (Touchstone Pictures) and "National Treasure: Collector's Edition" (Walt Disney Pictures) in May; and Unbreakable (Touchstone Pictures) and Signs (Touchstone Pictures) in summer 2008.

Following overwhelming consumer response WDSHE is also announcing the extension of Disney's Magical Blu-ray Tour, sponsored by Panasonic, to eight additional North American cities. The first stop will be to Toronto, Canada the weekend of January 25th and continue on to Nashville, Denver, Dallas, Raleigh-Durham, Hartford and conclude with Chicago at Unity 2008 in July.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40686
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast