• * - Hated It

4 5.13%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Re: Sweeney Todd - Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by callicott3 View Post
    Yep. It IS amazing, the number of "Harry Potter" castmembers are in this movie....then, again, those of us, who like the 'Harry Potter' Series, will be more "attuned" to them! I can't wait, myself, to hear Alan Rickman sing! I still can't wait to see this movie! It probably won't be until next week, though. Maybe on Thursday (when my hubbie is off work!)
    I'm seeing it this afternoon. When I watched the "making of" special the other night, Alan Rickman actually sounded pretty good. And Johnny Depp's singing was startling. I don't think Rickman will win any Grammys, but his delivery is really good. "Pretty Women" was recorded separately at different times, and Rickman said it was a challenge to lip synch for the film when they were together in that scene for the first time. Many of the great performers in Sondheim musicals weren't great singers but were phenomenal actors.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by callicott3 View Post
    I don't really think the studio is trying to cover up that it's a full blown musical!
    The fact that it's "bloody", maybe. Then, again, I agree that it may tank at the box office. But you have to look at the number of movies that tanked, at the box office. It will, if this holds true, make a "killing" (pardon the pun) in DVD sales!
    I can't actually find the article, but I'm sure that people that have been following the movie can back me up: A couple of months ago, around when the trailer first came out, news articles came out talking about how the studio was wanting to downplay that it was a musical. At the point where there are people coming out of screenings saying things like "I didn't know there was going to be this much singing," then the movie obviously hasn't been advertised faithfully.

As for its goriness, the studio wanted to tone it down, but they do cover the goriness in a LOT of magazines and the VH1 special.

I am optimistic for its DVD sales, and I don't think it will "tank" in execution, but on paper, it has a lot of factors working against it. A January wide release as originally planned would have helped a LOT. But I also don't expect it to compete against Walk Hard or NT2. For that matter, I don't think it will outperform I Am Legend's second week.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

I'm excited for this movie, but I really think I'm going to have to wait for DVD. I just don't think I can take all the blood on the big screen.
    <o>

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

I'm in the theater right now waiting for it to start in downtown Disney. The tuba players are already warming up outside. I'll post my review in a little bit.

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

Quote Originally Posted by pixie chick View Post
    I'm excited for this movie, but I really think I'm going to have to wait for DVD. I just don't think I can take all the blood on the big screen.
    Have you ever seen Sleepy Hollow? I haven't made it out to the theater quite yet for THIS movie, but I can guarantee that the blood is going to look like that. After all, given what you've seen of the colors of the movie, are you going to be phased by bright red blood? Because that's what it is. Bright, unrealistically red.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Okay...here's my review:

First of all, I ended up giving it four out of five stars, and you can probably guess where I'm going with my review in that I will be running out to purchase the CD as soon as possible but will NOT be buying the DVD.

Sweeney Todd remains one of my favorite musicals, but the movie....

Where to begin?

The sets and CG stuff are absolutely stunning. The opening shot of London is probably one of the most wonderful things I've seen on film in some time. Breathtaking. Dark...but breathtaking.

The actors are superb....all of them. Except maybe Johanna whose voice got on my nerves a bit. Depp, Carter, Rickman, Spall...perfect casting.

As gifted as he was, Toby was much too young in my opinion, for reasons that I'll discuss down in the spoilers.

The singing was brilliant, and I'd say Johnny Depp has another career lined up if he ever wants to try something new. I want to say that he's had some kind of training, but maybe he's just a natural. Pitch, phrasing, vibrato....this guy actually has a very nice voice. "My friends" was particularly well done. Depp doesn't have a "broadway" voice, but I was shocked at the amount of musicianship he has. It is very much on the "pop" end of the scale, but very effective. It is clear that his acting chops have carried over to his singing. Now....if I found he had five or six years of private study and had sung in countless broadway shows, I might have a different opinion. But if this was really the first time he has set foot in a studio...wow. He's got some serious natural talent. If you haven't checked out his voice on itunes yet, you might want to try "Pretty Women" or "My Friends" to get an idea of what he sounds like if you haven't seen the film yet.

The music, as a whole, was spectacular. Rich orchestration, well balanced, and perfect for the film. I was disappointed that "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" was instrumental only and they cut " Kiss Me" which is one of my favorite numbers from the musical. I can understand why they cut the opening number in favor of an instrumental version because it seemed to work better with the opening credits.

As for my problems with the film... (SPOILERS TO FOLLOW)

It was almost as if Tim Burton was RELISHING in the gore and macabre. As a musical, Sweeney works well as the audience is left to IMAGINE what is going on with the meat grinder, the slicing of throats, etc, etc. On broadway, if you have an aisle seat on row P, you probably won't see any blood at all. Maybe a bloody razor, but that's about it. As a result, the score, which is quite FUN at times, works well with the IMPLIED macabre imagery. There's a wink and a nod as to the nasty details.

But in Tim Burton's version, the two ideas seem to be fighting each other more violently. As Depp is singing a particularly beautiful section "Are you beautiful and pale, with yellow hair like her?" it is underscored by slurping and sloshing sounds of the razor going across a number of throats and blood spurting across the screen with corpses plummeting to the basement below. Some people in my theater were laughing at this point.

I wonder if most theater goers will have a problem with this. Something doesn't compute. Instead of Hitchcock music a la "Psycho", we're hearing Sweeney sing, almost TENDERLY of his love for his daughter as he opens another trachea. Does this make sense? I guess I'm saying that LEVEL of violence ceases to be FUN at some point and you're stuck between laughter and horror. Those two things don't blend well with me. With the broadway version, I'm not HORRIFIED....I don't wince. You know perfectly well people are getting chopped up into pies, but you don't stare at a chopped up thumb, or blood spurting out in all directions or watch UP CLOSE as the blade makes its way through the flesh.

My point is...Burton shows you up close and personal what you would rather NOT see in the stage production. That much blood, mangled flesh pouring through the grinder, thumbs in pies....all of this works better for me when it goes with the type of score you would expect in "Halloween" or "Nightmare on Elm Street."

Then there's Toby. How old is he? Ten? For gosh sakes, his VOICE hasn't even changed yet and he has to sing everything up the octave. He's cute and very talented...but it really bothered me that he was loading up on the gin. And then for him to have to deal with finding the body parts....I don't know. I have a problem with little kids with that level of gore and carnage. Toby, in my eyes, has always been a teenager. At least with his voice changed.

And can we talk about the ending? Toby kills Sweeney, we watch more and more and more blood pour all over his wife's face, and there go the credits.

Now HERE is where I thought they could have used "The Ballad of Sweeney Todd" or at the very least, a grave yard scene. The ending seemed very abrupt to me. Maybe Anthony comes back and walks off with Johanna if they don't want bodies rising up out of their graves for the final number.

Yes, I know it's a dark musical, but in order for the music to work for me, I need to keep that stuff at arm's length. Dwelling on the blood and gore...almost DELIGHTING in it, as it seemed Burton was doing, didn't work for me. Slasher movies need slasher scores to go with them. There was just to much WHIPLASH for me in this film as I was enjoying the score one minute, ("Pretty Women" was very nicely done) and flinching from blood pouring out of every orifice (Rickman...can you say ewwww?) or watching Mrs. Lovett get burned alive the next.

I'm not a fan of horror films, but if I were, I think the dichotomy between the score and the gore would still bug me.

To summarize...I LOVED everything about the film except the level of DETAIL in the throat slashing and Mrs. Lovett getting baked alive...and maybe Toby's age.

But the CD....I'll be ordering this asap.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-24-2007 at 01:50 PM.

• Drama Queen

Well, in response to your comment about the gore vs. Sweeney's version of "Johanna," to me, that has always been such an insanely masterful manipulation of irony. Sondheim often uses it, such as in "Assassins", with "The Ballad of Guiteau", where Guiteau is doing a kick line to the scaffold. I think that its more powerful of a contrast between the beautiful lyrics and melody with such a horrible thing as murder.

Also, regarding Toby's age, I definitely agreed with you when I first saw that it was a CHILD playing Toby. I thought, 'WHAT?!? WHY?????' Because, honestly. That is a KID in there. I was horrified. But I think that the choice to make him a kid goes along with the sharp contrast that is so prevalent in the film.

Aanyway, that's just my take.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by first.mate.spike View Post
    Well, in response to your comment about the gore vs. Sweeney's version of "Johanna," to me, that has always been such an insanely masterful manipulation of irony. Sondheim often uses it, such as in "Assassins", with "The Ballad of Guiteau", where Guiteau is doing a kick line to the scaffold. I think that its more powerful of a contrast between the beautiful lyrics and melody with such a horrible thing as murder.
    Totally. His part of that song is my favorite.

I missed "Kiss Me" though, and I left wondering why they cut out Judge Turpin's version of "Johanna" as well. Like that was too dark for the movie???

I was skeptical at first, but I really liked it, even if Helena Bonham Carter is not the strongest singer. I was a little worried about her first song, but she managed to pull it off. Does anyone else imagine that's how she dresses in real life? She's just this crazy witch lady, all the time?
    A signature should go here.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by first.mate.spike View Post

Also, regarding Toby's age, I definitely agreed with you when I first saw that it was a CHILD playing Toby. I thought, 'WHAT?!? WHY?????' Because, honestly. That is a KID in there. I was horrified. But I think that the choice to make him a kid goes along with the sharp contrast that is so prevalent in the film.

Aanyway, that's just my take.
    I think it may have been the sound effects that got to me more than the gore. The SOUND of the blood spurting out all over. I could only take that in small doses. The writing in this musical is, in my opinion, some of Sondheim's finest, and I think it is far and away his best work as a whole. The jaunty opening, the fun of "A Little Priest", and the beauty of "My Friends", "Johanna", "Pretty Women" and "Not While I'm Around." I'm able to handle the beauty with the murder in the stage version as there is some separation there....some space to sit back and think "Gee...that was really beautiful." In the film, I found myself thinking "Gee...that was really...EWWWW!"
    as the sickening sights and sounds rode over the music. Maybe that's what Burton was after.

Quote Originally Posted by SusieP.

I was skeptical at first, but I really liked it, even if Helena Bonham Carter is not the strongest singer. I was a little worried about her first song, but she managed to pull it off. Does anyone else imagine that's how she dresses in real life? She's just this crazy witch lady, all the time?
    Isn't that funny how the cast of Harry Potter ended up in this film? I actually thought Rickman did a very respectable job with some tough melodic lines. At first I thought "Oh no! Snape is going to SING!" But when he started, he was actually ok, and so was Carter. I thought she was brilliant in "Epiphany" and "A Little Priest." She does that deranged thing so well. She'll have to watch out for type casting....

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I loved it. Not a fan of gore.. but it looked rather fake to me.. so I was okay hahaa! 5*

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Just got home from the film.

I hate musicals. But after "Enchanted" this year, and now, "Sweeny Todd" - I think they're beginning to grow on me.

The film was fantastic - not a second went by that I wasn't thoroughly entertained.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Confederate Lady

I'm going, with friends, tonight! Can't wait. Y'all have given me lots to look for, and "rate"!
    This is one of the best discussions, ever!

• Still lost in Neverland

I have yet to see it, but I very much want too. My friend who usually goes to the show has disappeared off the face of the earth so I will probably use on of my AMC passes and go see it after the Christmas Holiday at my sisters. I am hearing and reading great things about this movie, plus I love Tim Burton movies and think Johnny Depp is one of the best actors out there today. Also having Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter is just like icing on an already great cake.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Up is Down

I cannot begin to say how great this movie is! Just go see it!
    The earth is round.... or so i've found.

I saw it and thought it was great! It was bloody, but the blood ws neon-ish, so it didn't bother me as much. Hearing Johnny sing was weird at first, but I think he pulled it off. I can't wait to see it again and I think I'm going to get the CD.
    Everybodyís got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks wonít take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightnít be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast