• ** - Didn't Like

1 1.28%
  • * - Hated It

4 5.13%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Clearing my Calendar

Re: Sweeney Todd - Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by localdisnyfan View Post
    But the CD....I'll be ordering this asap.
    This says it all in my book.

I was completely blown away by the film. I had literally no idea what to expect as I've stayed away from any chatter about the film and never saw the stage productions/etc.

Absolutely brilliant!

I can not wait to get this CD.
    "But every night, when it gets dark
    and the stars come out,
    I'll look up on her behalf.
    I'll look up in the sky and think of you."

• Confederate Lady

Thumbs up Re: Sweeney Todd - Reviews

Finally got to see it! Very neat. My favorite part was the "choosing different types of "fillings". Without a doubt, the finest work, today, from Mr Depp! I was very impressed, with the makeup. It made 'Sweeney' and 'Lovett' look really "mad".
    Lots of blood, which explains the 'R' rating, and the killing aspect. Well done, very engrosing. I won't say entertaining because it's too dark to be entertaining. Depp, Rickman and Bonham-Carter had wonderful singing voices (who'd a thunk it?!) Recommend highly!

Quote Originally Posted by callicott3 View Post
    Finally got to see it! Very neat. My favorite part was the "choosing different types of "fillings".

That song is called "A Little Priest." My favorite from the show, now followed by the film's "By The Sea," if only for the fantastic visuals that now accompany it.

• Confederate Lady

Talking Re: Sweeney Todd - Reviews

'By The Sea' was pretty cool, too. I have never seen the Broadway (or any other) production, so I am not familiar with any of the song titles. porbably going to go see it, again, next weekend. Son and Girlfriend want to go. They had decided, a LONG time ago, that they were going to go together! But, most (if not all) of the theaters ARE checking ID. ('bout time,too) They will need an adult with them. I WILL, I WILL!

• Confederate Lady

@ Lost Boy. Sorry about your friend. I think (if it's who I think it is) he's going to be around soon. The two of you will love it.

• MiceChat News Team
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Administrator
    • MiceChat Contributer

Blog Entries

THIS IS BURTON'S BEST FILM SINCE ED WOOD!!!

From the first booming chords of organ music that thunders into the dark theater, to the last drop of blood that hit the planks of wood inside Mrs. Lovett's pie shop, Tim Burton hits all the right notes in creating a memorable movie musical.

Yes, the use of blood is copious but also highly stylized. Cringe worthy, at first, the spurting blood becomes a character of it's own symbolizing the unbridled rage behind Sweeny Todd's plan for revenge.

The voices from all actors are surprisingly strong throughout and rise to the challenge of Sondheim's famously difficult melody stylings.

This is a DARK, DARK musical and I loved every minute of it. This is one of the best films of the year.
    "All my life I've had one dream, to achieve my many goals.
    Homer Jay Simpson

• FL born, CA grown

Spoiler
    I voted just OK because the repeated slashing and seeing the victims landing on their heads just turned me off. I think after the first victim we got the picture of what happens to the "customers."

I loved the music as Sondheim does not disappoint and the acting and singing were great..
    -Todd, Ginarella's loving husband.

The Greatest Rock Band EVER!

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

^^^I agree with your spoiler box, even though I get the purpose. I was just holding my breath for poor Toby the whole time he was down there in the dark!
    A signature should go here.

• Minion

My Review

First I'm a big fan of Tim Burton, Sondheim, musicals, and of course Sweeney Todd. Sweeney was my first show I saw on Broadway in 2005 with the revival cast. The production really has a special place in my heart. When I heard that Burton was doing Sweeney Todd I was happy that one of my favorite artist would release his own creativity to the musical.

In Sweeney, Todd uses his usual artistic triumphs. Only Burton can really satisfy both dark and light through mood. No other director I have seen can really justify both in one film, but Burton can. Yes there is much gore in this movie, but its supposed to be this way. How else could you play it off. I like that he took the risk, and showed the gore.

The acting is great. Johnny and Helen both are just amazing and really justify the characters. I was intersted to see these two, as they have claimed to not have much musical backround. But its not just the acting, the costumes and sets are just as amazing. There is so much attention to detail, something thats hard to do in an actual stage show. All the elements really came together to create that gothic feel of Victorian England.

The only complaint I had was the cutting of some of the songs/lyrics. Sometimes what was cut was just a word or two, and I just thought you myself why didn't they just leave them in there? Then again 90% of the movie is already singing. The movie really sets itself aside from the production. Those looking for a similar experience to the stage production will not be happy. This creation really stands on its own. I loved it! One of my favorites of all time!
    Jeff Wayne

• Circle of Ancients

My point is...Burton shows you up close and personal what you would rather NOT see in the stage production. That much blood, mangled flesh pouring through the grinder, thumbs in pies....all of this works better for me when it goes with the type of score you would expect in "Halloween" or "Nightmare on Elm Street."

I enjoyed reading your review localdisnyfan. And I hope you don't mind I took your spoiler out in the open because I think by now the audience knows what the movie is about. It's all over the local newspapers and internet.
    As a musical lover, I have not seen Sweeney Todd on Broadway so I cannot compare the two. I completely understand that Broadway does leave a lot to the imagination, which I enjoy and there's nothing like watching a live musical while the characters belt out their vocal cords. It gives me chills just thinking about it. But I really thought the movie showed a lot of emotion through the blood and gore while the characters were singing. If Tim Burton had left out the blood and gore scenes, I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie as much as I did. And personally, I'm not really a horror flick chick.

I just loved the whole concept of a dark musical. And Tim Burton took it to that level. I just loved the movie and I can't wait to get my hands on the movie soundtrack. I hope I get it as a Christmas gift

Did anyone think that there was a similarity likeness of Jayne Wisener aka Johanna and Vanessa Paradis aka Johnny g/f? IDK, maybe it was just me.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I just saw this a couple of hours ago at Downtown Disney. And I must say it is one of the best films I have seen in a very long time.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    I enjoyed reading your review localdisnyfan. And I hope you don't mind I took your spoiler out in the open because I think by now the audience knows what the movie is about. It's all over the local newspapers and internet.
    As a musical lover, I have not seen Sweeney Todd on Broadway so I cannot compare the two. I completely understand that Broadway does leave a lot to the imagination, which I enjoy and there's nothing like watching a live musical while the characters belt out their vocal cords. It gives me chills just thinking about it. But I really thought the movie showed a lot of emotion through the blood and gore while the characters were singing. If Tim Burton had left out the blood and gore scenes, I don't think I would have enjoyed the movie as much as I did. And personally, I'm not really a horror flick chick.

I just loved the whole concept of a dark musical. And Tim Burton took it to that level. I just loved the movie and I can't wait to get my hands on the movie soundtrack. I hope I get it as a Christmas gift

Did anyone think that there was a similarity likeness of Jayne Wisener aka Johanna and Vanessa Paradis aka Johnny g/f? IDK, maybe it was just me.
    I completely agree with what you wrote, and I really don't think Burton could have done it any other way. I knew what to expect going in, and yet...when I got there I found myself torn between one of my favorite scores of all time and the I-really-don't-want-to-see-this up close gore which has to be brought out when you make it into a film.

In spite of what I said above, I might actually buy the dvd and just never watch those three or four scenes in it. (i.e. Sweeney and the Judge, Mrs. Lovett getting baked, etc.)

And one more observation about Depp: I was listening again to "My Friends" which is actually a tricky bit of singing for the average broadway singer, let alone someone who played the guitar as a kid and was in a rock band. It's slow, rubato, and has a bit of mixed meter as well. But Depp NAILED it, along with Carter. He does some VERY musical things with that piece with his phrasing, articulation, pitch, etc. Hats off to that guy. You have to wonder what he'll come up with next.

Did anyone else hear Captain Jack when he said "At last. My arm is complete again." Maybe it's because we just finished watching Pirates III.
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 12-24-2007 at 07:18 AM.

• Confederate Lady

Wink Re: Sweeney Todd - Reviews

That's the beauty of DVD! You can "pick and choose" what you want {or don't want} to see!

I completely agree with what you wrote, and I really don't think Burton could have done it any other way. I knew what to expect going in, and yet...when I got there I found myself torn between one of my favorite scores of all time and the I-really-don't-want-to-see-this up close gore which has to be brought out when you make it into a film.

In spite of what I said above, I might actually buy the dvd and just never watch those three or four scenes in it. (i.e. Sweeney and the Judge, Mrs. Lovett getting baked, etc.)

And one more observation about Depp: I was listening again to "My Friends" which is actually a tricky bit of singing for the average broadway singer, let alone someone who played the guitar as a kid and was in a rock band. It's slow, rubato, and has a bit of mixed meter as well. But Depp NAILED it, along with Carter. He does some VERY musical things with that piece with his phrasing, articulation, pitch, etc. Hats off to that guy. You have to wonder what he'll come up with next.

Did anyone else hear Captain Jack when he said "At last. My arm is complete again." Maybe it's because we just finished watching Pirates III.
    My friends and I heard Jack through out most of the movie. And my mom, who hasn't seen the movie yet, heard Jack when I was listening to the CD.
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

• out & about

It was ok. The sets and costumes were the best part.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast