• MiceChat Partner

Football Teams Get The Boot from WDW

A group of young athletes was kicked out of Walt Disney World in the middle of the night Saturday.

Disney made the decision to kick out three teams participating in the Pop Warner Superbowl competition — two from Hawaii and one from Baltimore — because of a fight between some of their athletes.
    According to Disney, it is written into their policy for group packages that everyone will be forced to leave if even one member of the party is involved in a violent act on property.

However, parents said the way they were treated just wasn’t right.
    “They could have handled it so much better, you know? They really could have. They could have said look you know what? Fine, you guys have to leave in the morning. Then our babies. We have one year old, two year old, three year olds, that we had to just jerk out of bed and they were just crying. You know it was just a bad scene. It was really a bad scene,” said Labryanna Kubo, a parent traveling with the Hawaii team.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Office is still investigating the incident
    News provided by Micechat partner www.wdwnewstoday.com,
    "Bridging the Gaps Between you and Walt Disney World".
    Webmaster of WDW News Today
    Host of the WDW News Today Podcast
    Visit us at

• For You!

Re: Football Teams Get The Boot from WDW

Well, if it's policy, crying babies or not - too bad.

Still, it's sad that a few athletes have to punish everybody - I'm sure the parents put up quite a bit of money to be there.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I sympathize with them regarding the children, I could understand waiting until the following day to implement the rules but I have to agree that if your going to do something that warrants getting kicked out of WDW, there are consequences to those actions.

What I think is sad is they are blaming Disney for the inconvenience instead of focusing on the kids that ruined it for everyone else.

• Yes?

"young athletes" is right. The oldest a kid can be to play Pop Warner is 16 but he can't weigh over 160lbs. Where were these kid's parents when this fight happened and why couldn't they control their own kids? No one to blame but them for not teaching their kids better ways to handle disagreements.
    Quote Originally Posted by larasound View Post
    am I the burrito man?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

If I were a parent I'd be more angered with the kids on the team that wanted to fight than Disney. I mean the kids were warned.

i DO feel bad for the little babies but if they red the policy, they would have known better. And you know its a shame, you go on a vacation where ur there to get out of the real world, why would u fight in the happiest place on earth? Its sickens me!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I don't feel bad for anyone who can't control their kids and then blame it on someone else for enforcing a policy that was advertised from the get-go. Pop Warner is supposed to teach kids about teamwork, fitness, and SPORTSMANSHIP - how did that turn into two teams playing for the Pop Warner Super Bowl that get into fist fights in the hotels?
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

These Pop Warner groups are often traveling nightmares to deal with. You can bet that for every fistfight or small riot that gets a group kicked out of a cheap motor inn, there are dozens of lesser shouting matches, rowdy vandalism, and overall bad behavior that doesn't quite make the newspapers. Many of these teams, and their parental chaperones, are nothing more than organized brawlers in matching jerseys.

It comes as absolutely no surprise to me that the parents involved in any Pop Warner event would blame "Disney" for this incident instead of blaming their precious little thug children who were actually responsible for everything.

Shift the blame on to everyone else and claim you are the victim. That's par for the course with these types of organizations and the people who participate in them.

• Circle of Ancients

I totally agree with TP2000. I used to be involved in Pop-Warner, and a great majority of the parents were just the types that were described. Nothing their little hoodlum did was ever wrong.

When you have to play a game on a neutral field because one of the teams fans make it dangerous for a team of 12-15 year olds to come and play a game there ... something is very wrong.

Now not all parents were like this, and I do feel bad for those parents who have control over their kids. But the parents can't be surprised by this.

• Nutty about Disney parks

I felt bad for the other guests who were staying at the same hotel with the Pop Warner groups more than I did for the people who got kicked out. It's really not fair to them that they have to put up with such kids that the chaperones wont even bother looking out for. All the other guests are vacationers too! Those kids shouldnt even be outside of their hotel rooms at 1 in the morning!

This post is a bit repetitive of one I posted in the Disney World forum but I will post my idea again...why not built a separate on property resort for youth convention groups and keep them away from the more well behaved guests as much as possible? If these groups are going to be rowdy, they might as well be rowdy AWAY from other Disney guests. Of course if it were up to me, I wouldnt have large insane amounts of preteen/teen groups at Disney World at all! But this seems like a sensible solution and I would hire extra security at this place to get rid of all of the stupidity running around late at night.

You are evicted but only at your convenience? I'm not sure those parents understand what "evicted" means.

No one forced them to "jerk" their children out of bed. I think the parents should have handled the situation a lot better.

Good job, Disney, for enforcing your zero tolerance policy.

• Former Cast Member

As a teacher who has had students from K-College, I can typically (but not always)pinpoint the reason for poor behaviour in students. Just watch the parents for a while and you will see a lot of modeling.

I can't imagine why kids under the age of 16 were out at 1am and not under parental supervision. Also- wouldn't those kids be staying in their parents' room? The parents had to have known they were out, or at least some adult in the group.--- But 3 teams worth?

Was it just 1 kid from each team? Or a large group of the kids from each team being represented? Either way, I wish blame would be placed directly on the offending kids and that their parents would be held responsible for their kids actions.

I had an incident in high school where I was on a football team and 3 other players and a coach screwed up and the whole team unfairly recieved the blame. The incident took place outside of school and wasn't team related. Their behaviour was completely inexcusable and really screwed things up for the rest of us. Of course they didn't care about the rest of us. If they had, they wouldn't have acted the way they did and they would have considered possible ramifications.

I never go during this time. I teach middle school and like to escape all the drama of kids running wild when I go to WDW.