Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Disney hotel kicks out Hawaii families after brawl - Honolulu Advertiser - 12/12/07

The Honolulu Advertiser just released an article with many new details of what happened in regards to the fight in one of the hotel arcades.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...25/1001/NEWS01

Shortly after the fight, at about 3 a.m., the 70 players and family members from O'ahu as well as families from Baltimore were given written notices from the Walt Disney resort informing them that they had 20 minutes to vacate the property or Orange County sheriff's deputies would be called to remove them.

The notice prompted panic. Entire families, including small children, were awakened and told to gather in the corner of a parking lot as emergency lodging arrangements were made, Kong said.

"It was frantic, trying to find us a place to stay. The little ones were scared just being woken up and pulled out of bed. They were crying and wondering what was going on," said Kong. "We felt abandoned and helpless. We understand they have a no-tolerance rule, but we didn't appreciate how they handled it."

Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Disney hotel kicks out Hawaii families after brawl - Honolulu Advertiser - 12/12/

I feel bad for the little kids that were affected but I don't understand why parents would let their kids out at 1am w/o supervision.

Re: Disney hotel kicks out Hawaii families after brawl - Honolulu Advertiser - 12/12/

And if they understood what no-tolerance meant why is their an issue... No-tolerance means just that...Not go to sleep and in the morning you need to leave. I think the stituation was handled correctly and tough . they shouldn't have gotten into a fight to begin with at that time in the morning...Good for Disney. rules are rules...
    Last edited by jennasmom; 12-12-2007 at 02:37 PM. Reason: wording

• Circle of Ancients

Agreed, Disney did nothing wrong. Their kids (that are all under 15) shouldn't have been out at 3am.

Like I said in another thread, I was a participant in Pop-Warner football in my youth.

One of my seasons, we were given the 'opportunity' to travel to Hawaii to play one of their teams in the Aloha Bowl (that's where the pro-bowl is played). We were told many, MANY times before and during the trip that any slip-up's and we would be on the next plane home, at our parent's expense. Period.

We didn't have any problems with anybody.

• Minion

I cant believe another hotel would even take them!
    Har har har

• Solar Flare Foamer

Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Quote Originally Posted by jennasmom View Post
    And if they understood what no-tolerance meant why is their an issue... No-tolerance means just that...Not go to sleep and in the morning you need to leave. I think the stituation was handled correctly and tough ***t. they shouldn't have gotten into a fight to begin with at that time in the morning...Good for Disney. rules are rules...
    Zero Tolerance, doesn't mean Zero Tact. There's a way to handle things that doesn't require waking small children from their beds at 3 in the morning. When children are involved, some discretion should be used. "In the next twenty minutes" or "in the morning", they aren't any more gone one way then the other.

• Keyblade Wielder

The Disney policy does state that any disturbance will cause eviction and they followed that to the letter. These kids were alone, underage, and fighting. I would have evicted the entire family as well.

If the fight was broken up early and no one was hurt, the teams would have probably walked away with a warning or a "don't come back after this stay" notice, however, once someone is injured, all bets are off. I get the feeling that they evicted everyone because they had no way of knowing who was involved and who wasn't.

• Circle of Ancients

IMO, it's good that Disney made an example out of these hooligans. Will make the next batch of teams think twice.

Again, the blame needs to be on the kids, not Disney.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

Disney did the correct thing. They have a written policy and they stuck to it. It does not say anywhere in their policy 'but if you have even younger children sleeping we will allow you to stay longer'. These kids should not have been out of their rooms without chaperones at 1:00 in the morning. I feel bad for the kids that were not involved and were in their rooms but because they were on the same team got kicked out. But once more it is Disney policy that as a group you will have to leave.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

I would bet money that even with the fight, they'd probably would have been allowed to stay until the morning... I'd bet some stereotypical little league parent (or parents) got all up in one of the hotel supervisor's faces and put them over that line.

Again, why were these kids even OUT at 1am? I remember doing school and extracurricular trips when I was a minor and we ALWAYS had a curfew. 1am? Ridiculous.
    Burnt Toast
    The Magic Begins With Me...! 8:P

I am not at all surprised that this happened, or that the parents responded the way they did to the media.

These Pop Warner organizations are a traveling nightmare. I've had first hand experience with them, and they are like a tornado of violence and boorish behavior descending on whichever cheap motor inn they inhabit for the week. For every fistfight or small riot that breaks out in a video arcade, you know there was plenty of rowdy antics, vulgar language, shouting and petty vandalism that never quite makes the newspapers.

And it comes as absolutely no surprise that the parents would complain to their home town newspaper how Disney was to blame, and Disney handled it poorly, and Disney was mean. Not a single word about how they, as parents of the thugs in training, have any shred of responsibility here. It's all Disney's fault. And Mom will be happy to rant to the newspaper reporter about it. Where was Dad by the way? Probably drunk at the bar.

This is all a typical reaction, typical attitude, and typical behavior from Pop Warner parents and leaders. No wonder their kids are so messed up.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Disney should have just given the kids a public caneing, like that American brat got in Tiawan when Clinton was in office.

I can see it now... yes... chain the thugs to the Hub in the middle of the Magic Kingdom. Vending carts making the rounds selling hot dogs, churros and cold drinks. And Mulan dancers splashing down the thugs with salt water. It could be a very festive occasion. Especially when it's all over and Mulan dancers douse those whipped backsides with lemon juice. Now that's a trip to WDW those thugs won't forget. Who should administer the punishment? What do you think about those drummers from Epcot Japan? Now they have enthusiasm!!!

Before you all run out and give me a negative reputation, YES I AM just kidding. (still it would be nice.)

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

Quote Originally Posted by jennasmom View Post
    And if they understood what no-tolerance meant why is their an issue... No-tolerance means just that...Not go to sleep and in the morning you need to leave. I think the stituation was handled correctly and tough ***t. they shouldn't have gotten into a fight to begin with at that time in the morning...Good for Disney. rules are rules...
    I am somewhat sad they kicked the kids out, In this day and age of cost cutting they can awalys use more singing children. Just staple there feet to the floor and repeat after me.

Its a small world after all, Its a small world after all.....l
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Disneyland should be commended for keeping Disneyland the happiest place on Earth by expelling brawlers. Disneyland is a wonderful place. I went there on opening day in 1955, and I'm going tomorrow, at age 55.

I'm glad Disney stuck to their policy but just as a point of information...as far as what kids were doing up at 1am...with the time change and all...it was only about 7pm to those kids, depending on how long they had been in Florida. The parents definitely should have taken all of that into account and planned for that....some kind of supervision or activities.....I'm sorry the infants were bothered but come on....own up to your responsibilities. What if they had been on International Drive or in Anaheim? At least at WDW you are really confined (to some extent) to the resort you are staying at.
    ~~Second star to the right and straight on til morning~~

5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions :confused:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast