• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Pirates' DVD sails in at No. 1

'Pirates' Sails in at No. 1

Author: THOMAS K. ARNOLD
    HomeMediaRetailing
    Posted: December 13, 2007

The third time did prove the charm for Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, as Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End turned out the biggest sales performance of the Big Three sequels that stormed the box office this summer.

The third installment in the Disney franchise easily topped the Nielsen VideoScan First Alert DVD sales chart its first week in stores, selling more than twice as many copies as Spider-Man 3 and significantly more DVDs than Shrek the Third in their respective first weeks.

First Alert data does not include Wal-Mart, which accounts for about 40% of the overall business and tends to skew higher toward kid-friendly titles.
    On the high-definition disc front, Pirates and Superbad chalked up a No. 1 and No. 2 finish on the Blu-ray Disc chart, while BBC Video’s Planet Earth: The Complete Series returned to the top spot on the HD DVD chart.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: 'Pirates' DVD sails in at No. 1

Third Pirates sells 8 million units in first week

DEC. 12 |
    Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End has sold about 8 million copies in North America during its first week on sale, according to multiple industry sources, helping to raise hopes for a strong December at retail.

The third installment of the Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment franchise, which streeted Dec. 4, appears to be running neck-and-neck with Transformers as the top fourth-quarter title in 2007. Paramount Home Entertainment reported that Transformers sold a little more than 8 million units in its first street week, but this figure included sales into the rental channel. The Pirates estimate only spans direct-to-consumer sell-through, add sources.

Disney execs declined comment.
    http://www.videobusiness.com/article...dustryid=47211

• Circle of Ancients

Yet both Spidey and Shrek did better at the movies.

I wonder why that is.

Well, in the case of Spidey, I think the word-of-mouth that it totally sucked didn't happen until AFTER the first weekend.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Yet both Spidey and Shrek did better at the movies.

I wonder why that is.

Well, in the case of Spidey, I think the word-of-mouth that it totally sucked didn't happen until AFTER the first weekend.

Hehe because despite many negative reviews of Pirates, it really does pack a lot of good stuff.

spider-man 3 blew and shrek 3 blew harder. I normally am one to buy movies like spider-man 3 even if they weren't very good but I just couldn't do it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Wow. Very cool.

Go Pirates!

• Confederate Lady

We cheated and rented 'Pirates'! Mostly because, as our family tradition, "you don't buy ANYTHING before Christmas!" At least not this close. It is SPECTACULAR! It shows up nearly as good as the Theater release. They did really well, and it's well worth the "pennies" (LOL) to pick it up!

It is so easy to know ever since they have been released with the DVD and game or DVD and The Lost Disc. Mostly the people in the moveis are big one plus the girls love Jhonny Depp because he is a good actor and WDWR & DLR are selling the most while Wal-Mart is selling a bit of the MOvie while most of it is being choked up by the girls bc JD-Jhonny Depp.

• Banned User

I called BVHE Customer Service today regarding another issue related to another DVD title, but I noticed that they had a prerecorded message regarding replacement discs for the Blu-Ray version of this. Anyone know what the issue with those is? I don't have a Blu-Ray player yet, so it's not an immediate issue for me; I was just wondering.

• Goofy

come on now shrek 3 was more enjoyable than spider man 3 lol.

• Confederate Lady

Exclamation Re: 'Pirates' DVD sails in at No. 1

I think my husband, may be on to something, on that score. More and more people don't want to go to the theater, for a variety of reasons, so Box Office can be very low on good movies.
    Case in point: 'Pirates Of The Carribean: At World's End'....pretty low box office, yet the highest DVD Sales, of the three.
    I do agreee......'Spiderman 3' wasn't all that good. And 'Shrek 3' never should have been made. They stunk, on ice, in every way. However, 'Pirates' beat them on DVD...not on Box Office, mind you, but on DVD.
    I think we may see the same thing, on 'Sweeney Todd', which came in 5th in Box Office on it's Opening Weekend. One more thing....has anyone noticed, the upswing, of "made for DVD Movies"? Movies, that never went to the Theaters, but you can find them at stores and rental places? Plain and simple: people don't want to go to theaters, anymore, as I said. Why go to a place where, you have screaming children, cell phones (don't tell me people really pay attention to the "turn off your cell phone" message) expensive concession prices....not to mention the cost of tickets, nowadays. Not when they can stay home, have a big screen HD TV, send the children to bed, make popcorn, buy a two liter of soda, and enjoy a great movie. No phones to answer, unless you want to. An Answering Machine takes care of that. Or, if it's important, you can stop the movie and go back and pick up where you left off. Potty breaks, without missing a part of the movie. On the "screaming children" side, some may not even have children. Why should their movie experiance be so interupted or spoiled? "I paid my $ (insert number here) so mind your own busniess!", quoth the ignorant parent. Sorry, all...long winded, but JMHO

I thought Spiderman 3 was the best of the three..not that i liked any of them very much..

I loved Pirates 1 and 2 I thought they were great...But I wasn't as impressed with 3, it was a great movie but I got bored a little on the way through which i didn't with the first 2...I came out saying I want to see those again..I saw them 5 times each in the cinema i think..Although I only saw Pirates 3 once ( I used to work in a cinema and so got in free lol )

Shrek 3 was good, but no where near as amazing, it should have gone straight to DVD

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by callicott3 View Post
    Case in point: 'Pirates Of The Carribean: At World's End'....pretty low box office

$309,404,152 and a #4 ranking for the year 2007's total box office receipts in the US (#23 on the list of all-time US grosses), with $958,404,152 in total worldwide box office receipts and a #5 ranking on the all-time worldwide biggest moneymaking films, not including DVD sales, qualifies as "pretty low box office"? On what planet?

biggest moneymaking films, not including DVD sales, qualifies as "pretty low box office"? On what planet?
    On Planet Hollywood, it was still considered a disapointment for Disney, and according to 20th Centry Fox Titanic still hasn't made money.