Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Peter Jackson, New Line, and MGM to produce two-part "The Hobbit"

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    I know I'd be willing to wait. My only concern would be if it would be too long of a wait for Ian McKellen. He seems like he's in good shape for his age - but still, just how long of a wait would we have to wait for PJ to direct? I think if I had to choose, I'd choose McKellen as Gandalf instead of Jackson as Director.
    Good point. And I'd wholeheartedly agree.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Del Toro doubles up for 'Hobbit'

By Borys Kit
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Jan 27, 2008

Guillermo del Toro (Getty Images photo)

Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

For New Line, making "Hobbit" had become a priority in the wake of its billion-dollar success of the Oscar-winning "The Lord of the Rings" movies, which were co-written and directed by Peter Jackson. Jackson wanted to adapt "Hobbit," but when he got into a dispute with the studio over profit participation, the project went into limbo; neither New Line nor MGM, both rights-holders to the film, wanted to risk alienating fans of the trilogy by making an adaptation that didn't have Jackson's involvement.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...fae087024a2b8e
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Happy Memories

I would have to say that this pleases me. Not as much as PJ himself doing it of course, but Del Toro would be one of the very few other known directors that I would trust with bringing this world to life. It's also a very smart move going for someone like him who has cred with the fanboys.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I like this. If PJ can't do it then this "alternate" choice is as good as I can think of.

• Minion

Blog Entries

I am a little peeved at making 2 hobbit movies. It's unneeded and just a ploy for more money.

As for the Scouring of the Shire, I was very upset that it wasn't there. It was my favorite part of the books.

And the multiple endings? I LOVED it. I would have taken more if they wanted to. I remember watching the midnight showing. I'd been up since 6 and it was currently near 4 am and I was sobbing as I watched these movies end. Having all the endings was wonderful because I didn't have to let go yet, even if I was beyond tired. Call me a nerd if you want, but at that time in my life it was importiant to me.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    Call me a nerd if you want, but at that time in my life it was importiant to me.
    Nerd!!! hahaha this is a disney fan site, we're all nerds here

I'm pretty darn happy with Del Toro directing, he's one of my faves (along with PJ). Why isn't PJ himself directing, he just has another project or what? I thought he doesn't have another directing gig after "The Lovely Bones"...
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Nerd!!! hahaha this is a disney fan site, we're all nerds here

I'm pretty darn happy with Del Toro directing, he's one of my faves (along with PJ). Why isn't PJ himself directing, he just has another project or what? I thought he doesn't have another directing gig after "The Lovely Bones"...

said he has already comitted himself to something else

now heres my main question

Ian Holm....is he still young enough to go though this or are they going to cast someone else?

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    Why isn't PJ himself directing, he just has another project or what? I thought he doesn't have another directing gig after "The Lovely Bones"...
    After Lovely Bones he's directing at least one of three Tin Tin movies. He's been working with Speilberg on those. They have 3 films lined up. Each of them is directing one with the director of the 3rd film yet to be announced.

• The mouse that Rocks

Oh happy day! I can't wait, who doesn't want to go back and visit Middle Earth.

As for the whole two movies thing. I think the idea of seeing some of the things hinted at in the Rings trilogy would be very cool. Seeing Bilbo's struggle with the ring later on in life would be interesting. It would really be cool to see some of the lead up to the Rings Trilogy. With the hobbit you get a look at the culture of Middle Earth when it's not in a state of impending doom. The second one could cover the stuff never seen but talked about like Gandalf helping the Mirkwood Elves and Balin returning to the mines of Moria.
    --MusicMouse
    Join The one Campaign. make poverty history.

Check out SILAS a band from Eugene Oregon
    Peep 'em here:

The official band page
    Help the musicians of New Orleans bring back the music at
    MusicRising.org

Amnesty International

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Well, technically wasn't it at the beggining of ROTK the extended cut?

I don't recall if Saruman dying was in the ROTK theatrical since I haven't watched it in awhile. But I seem to remember Gandalf just saying "Keep him locked in his tower" or something to that effect.

And also as I recall, that was the one thing PJ came out and said they made a mistake on with the theatrical, not resolving the Saruman issue in Towers.

Can I also add ... I'm stoked that we are talking LOTR again. It's been too long.
    Yes, Saruman's death by impailmant was an extened scene not shown in theaters. I don't even know if it had been filmed originally or later during reshoots.

But to follow the book would have left many non- LOTR fans very confused and unsettled in the theatres. At the end when they are back at the Green Dragon sitting quietly 2 hooded figures enter with the intent to kill Frodo. It turns out to be Saruman and Wormtoungue, somehow during the confrontation Wormtoubgue kills Saruman by slitting his throat, and then Wormtounge is killed. PJ went with Sam gets up and goes after Rosie Cotton instead.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post
    Yes, Saruman's death by impailmant was an extened scene not shown in theaters. I don't even know if it had been filmed originally or later during reshoots.
    As I recall it had been shot and intended for inclusion in the theatrical. When it was decided to cut his death scene from the theatrical Christopher Lee was very vocal in his displeasure at the decision.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PanTheMan View Post

But to follow the book would have left many non- LOTR fans very confused and unsettled in the theatres. At the end when they are back at the Green Dragon sitting quietly 2 hooded figures enter with the intent to kill Frodo. It turns out to be Saruman and Wormtoungue, somehow during the confrontation Wormtoubgue kills Saruman by slitting his throat, and then Wormtounge is killed. PJ went with Sam gets up and goes after Rosie Cotton instead.

There were actually a couple more deaths shot so they could decide a bit later. Being the nerd I am, I found out about the impaling about a week after it was filmed mainly due to a photo leak. Silly people on set...

Atleast with the Bywater sceen, it would be a little more canon. I just wish they'd have let the Hobbits have their moment of glory, especially with their bows and arrows. Elves aren't the only good shots!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I really wish Peter was available to direct - but after Pan's Labyrinth, del Toro is probably the only other director I'd have faith in.

So it sounds good to me

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123