• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Disneyanity, A New Religion? - Canada.com

Many of us know that going to the parks can sometimes be a very moving, emotional experience, but Canadian professor Jennifer Porter who teaches religious studies at Memorial University in St. John's , NewfoundLand, Canada, has taken it one step further.

After a vacation to Disney World she felt that there was so many similarities between modern religions and the overtones and feelings that she witnessed from Disney and everyone at the parks, that next month she will start teaching a course called 'Religion and Disney: Not Just Another Mickey Mouse Course'.

For more about this story, please go to http://www.canada.com/topics/news/wo...300999&k=31957
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Re: Disneyanity, A New Religion? - Canada.com

Please be aware that this is happening in the same country that a few years ago allowed 'jedi' as an official religion (which isn't such a bad thing in my book).

On a side note, if this gains momentum, I might just convert from my current faith.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Minion

This sort of thing annoys me. Walt was not concerned about social themes and what not, he put entertainment first. He wasn’t about making a statement (even though most of his films inherently do so.) It bothers me when people proclaim Disney’s work is conservative or liberal, I think there’s a reason for Disney’s mass appeal.

**Please note that Sir. Mouse composed this massage in the midst of a hasty retreat to the bath room. ++ Sir. mouse in no way claims that he knows Walt Disney personally. Sir. mouse is merely bearing his thoughts and ideas about the man**

• Minion

ORDDU: This subject reminds me of a situation that took place out in California in the mid to late 80's. There was a young man, at the time, who was in charge of a certain Disney Club--which shall remain nameless--who actually acted as though he were a minister of sorts. He led his group of Disney enthusiasts in such a way that it almost seemed like a congregation--all gathered together in the name of Walt Disney.

ORGOCH: Was down right FREAKY, if'n ya asks me.

ORDDU: Yes, and while I'm sure the young man wouldn't have admitted it to anyone, he really DID come across as though he believed he was a sort of Pastor in charge of his 'flock' of Disney collector fans. Of course ANY fandom out there has similar types running around. It's just a matter of recognizing when one has gone too far with a passion.

ORGOCH: I'd say yer own passions has gone way too far, sister!! So, stop preachin' ta the choir 'round here!! By now there ain't a ducklin' swimmin' in the MiceChat pond that don't know what kind a passions is outta control where YER concerned!!!!