• Mischievous Mouse

Back up on the big silverscreen

I think about this a lot when watching "epic" films. I was just watching Raiders of the Lost Ark last night, for the 1,000th. time (probably), I still remember going and seeing it on the "big silverscreen" back when it came out in June 1981.
    And what I keep wondering is... will I ever get that magic back of seeing some of these films on screen that is like 50-60 feet across and 20-30 high again? I do thank mister George Lucas for re-releasing Star Wars back on the bog screen, 'course he could have left them as is in my humble opinion, but that's another subject. The older I get the more nostalgic I get, and I remember the days when they re-released films (before VCR/DVD mania). Heck Disney themselves released a good lot of films thoughout the 50's, 60's and 70's to the big screen.

Am I dreaming? Are you?

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Huh?

Re: Back up on the big silverscreen

Your best best would be to find a local theater that will show these movies.

Personally, I would love to be able to see restorations of some of the 3-D classics to be released in Real-D theaters.

In California, I know that El Capitan occasionally has releases of classic Disney movies.
    The Silent Movie Theater plays classics (but looks like the format has changed a bit -- silents only on Wednesday now?!).

Summer is a good time to see classic movies on the big screen -- many theaters have a summer movie program of some sort to showcase the classics (from as recent as a year ago sometimes).

They may not be in wide releases, so just keep your eye out for the events.
    -Tim

There are a couple theatres in the Sacramento area that do Flashback thursdays or something along that lines. Where they show older movies for only five bucks I think. So I'll go along with FrumiousBoojum and say check your local listings.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

one of my fondest memories was getting to see The Wall on a big screen back in 1992. Up until that point i'd only seen it on video but seeing it on a big screen just brought it all together in a completely different, immersive type way.

I know even here in podunk nowhere they sometimes have screenings of older movies, just last summer a group of us went and saw one of my fave all time movies ever, Sunset Blvd., on a big screen. i tell ya, Gloria Swanson really WAS ready for her closeup!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I absolutely love seeing a film on the big screen. I would especially love for Disney to do wider (not just LA and NYC, but also Atlanta) re-releases to go along with the films being shown at the El Capitan.