Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Exclamation Dreamworks McDonald's deal - The news we aren't hearing

Just got this off the news ticker:

Full story view here: http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...s_050727181752

McDonald's snags Shrek 3 in partnership with DreamWorks

CHICAGO (AFP) - The Oscar-winning green ogre Shrek will be appearing on McDonald's Happy Meals thanks to a new partnership with DreamWorks Animation, the companies said.

The two-year worldwide marketing and promotional deal is set to begin in 2007 and will snag Shrek away from rival Burger King, which had retained marketing rights to the first two smash-hit animated films.

McDonald's would not say how the deal will affect its partnership with Disney, which is set to expire at the end of 2006.

However, the agreement is non-exclusive and will allow McDonald's to partner with other studios.

"Some of our most successful Happy Meals were Disney properties and we continue to work with them on remaining products," Mike Roberts, McDonald's president and chief operating officer said in a conference call with reporters.

DreamWorks has agreed to use its award-winning animation facilities to help McDonald's produce commercials, some of which would have Ronald McDonald interact with DreamWorks characters such as Shrek.

The studio will also use its characters to help promote McDonald's "balanced active lifestyles" program.

The deal gives McDonald's global rights to four DreamWorks films but does not preclude the studio from partnering with non-restaurants for further promotional activities.
    The news that we aren't hearing is that this supercedes any exclusive clause Disney deal wants to make with the arched burger factory...

We know DreamWorks is out to steal Disney's thurnder... Has it started already?
    Last edited by cellarhound; 07-27-2005 at 10:43 AM.
    Check out my other blog:

• is confuzzled.

Re: Dreamworks McDonald's deal - The news we aren't hearing

oh my!
    I can smell the drama! (or is that smell the fries??)

• Happy Memories

Disney has no one to blame but themselves. If they were still consistently putting out quality films that a partner like McDonalds could really get good promotional opportunities from, I doubt the burger boys would be looking elsewhere for partnerships and opportunities. The problem is, the Disney name doesn't stand for the same gauranteed quality that it once did, and future of the Pixar/Disney films (the most successful and marketable of the last decade) is still up in the air, so for McDonalds, they have to make decisions that will better serve they're business interests. I mean, if you ran a fast food chain, would you rather have Shrek to promote or Little Mermaid 12-3/4: Sebastion's Kitchen Adventure?

• Happy Memories

One more interesting thought... does this mean we could potentially be seeing Dreamworks films promoted on Disney property?? there are several McDonalds restaurants located on property. hmmmm.....

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    One more interesting thought... does this mean we could potentially be seeing Dreamworks films promoted on Disney property?? there are several McDonalds restaurants located on property. hmmmm.....
    I'd heard from TDA and Burbank awhile ago that the McDonald's food on property was the least valuable element of the overall existing deal. Can't imagine any value to allowing Jeffery Katzenberg's dream to come true, even if Eisner will be out of the picture soon, by letting Dreamworks on property.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd
    I'd heard from TDA and Burbank awhile ago that the McDonald's food on property was the least valuable element of the overall existing deal. Can't imagine any value to allowing Jeffery Katzenberg's dream to come true, even if Eisner will be out of the picture soon, by letting Dreamworks on property.
    Considering that DreamWorks (Live Action - though the execs are vertually the same...) is rumored to possably be bought out by NBC-Universal... I don't know how this will work...

DreamWorks flatly and quickly denied this which was first mentioned in the New York Post...

Keep in mind that DreamWorks Animation is a seperate company now...

They certainly are makeing waves...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I don't think you have to worry about Dreamworks being featured at the McD in the parks. Their in-park food is packaged and priced differently than their real world stores.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage
    I don't think you have to worry about Dreamworks being featured at the McD in the parks. Their in-park food is packaged and priced differently than their real world stores.
    Even the one on Disney property in FL in Downtown Disney and over by the All Star hotels?

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Even the one on Disney property in FL in Downtown Disney and over by the All Star hotels?
    Not sure about that one BPF. It seems to be more of a regular McDonnalds. I'd think that location would offer exactly what any other regular McD does. So, it would be likely that you could see Shrek show up there. But it wouldn't be likely in the park locations.
    Find us on Facebook:

•   
    • Minion

Not sure about that one BPF. It seems to be more of a regular McDonnalds. I'd think that location would offer exactly what any other regular McD does. So, it would be likely that you could see Shrek show up there. But it wouldn't be likely in the park locations.
    I did notice that DTD played part of the Shrek 2 soundtrack upon it's release... The Counting Crows Song, "Acidentally In Love"...
    Check out my other blog:

• Happy Memories

Quote Originally Posted by BigPigletFan
    Those are the locations i was thinking of BPG, not the in park locations. don't the in park locations only sell french fries anyway?

• I was deleted.

I will be sure to check into this once the new Happy Meal toys arrive. And then be discusted. (Sorry, not a Dreamworks or McD's fan.) But this is something I want to keep an eye on.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    Those are the locations i was thinking of BPG, not the in park locations. don't the in park locations only sell french fries anyway?
    Some of the locations offer much more than fries. Burger Invasion at DCA offers almost a full McD menu. I believe that there are similar locations at WDW.
    Find us on Facebook:

• Minion

I say good riddance, bring back the cajun popcorn shrimp at that little shack by the Columbia dock!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soulquarian
    I say good riddance, bring back the cajun popcorn shrimp at that little shack by the Columbia dock!
    Amen to that
    Find us on Facebook:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast