5 17.24%
  • 2 Stars

1 3.45%
  • 1 Star (worst)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

JUNO - Review and Opinion Poll

I saw JUNO last night and out of all the movies Ive seen in the past few days (Charlie Wilsons War, Atonement, Sweeny Todd, I Am Legend & National Treasure) Juno was by far the best. It was Hysterical, Stylish & Smart. The writing was excellent. The acting was right on; achieving the type of emotion other movies hope for.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

• Circle of Ancients

Re: JUNO - Review and Opinion Poll

I've heard nothing but good things about Juno. Sadly probably won't see it until it's on DVD though.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

saw it the other day, I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a really good movie. I've been to four movies the past week (Juno, Sweeney Todd, Walk Hard, I am Legend) and I'd rank it up there with Sweeney Todd in terms of quality movie, Walk Hard was really funny as well, but overall not as good.

I highly recommend Juno and fully expect to see Ellen Page get a best actress nomination. She's really that good!

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

Blog Entries

I loved this movie and gave it a 5. My only complaint is that there is no way teenagers speak as intelligently or are as witty as the ones in this movie. I also thought the soundtrack was fantastic.

• out & about

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    I loved this movie and gave it a 5. My only complaint is that there is no way teenagers speak as intelligently or are as witty as the ones in this movie. I also thought the soundtrack was fantastic.
    maybe your not hanging around the right kind of teenagers. I definetly think they are out there but are a rare breed.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

@WRDinc

Blog Entries

I don't know anybody, online, at work, when I was in my Master's program that speaks like that all the time.

• white and nerdy

Quote Originally Posted by nursemelis374 View Post
    I don't know anybody, online, at work, when I was in my Master's program that speaks like that all the time.
    LOL Exactly!

I got the same gripe with The Gilmore Girls.

the dialog was smart, but it posed as realistic, when it clearly wasn't. The only thing THAT does is make teenagers think they are smarter than they really are.

But the movie was pretty good, though I feel it's overall quality is behind other recent releases (Charlie Wilson's War, I am Legend, Sweeny Todd)
    St. Elizabeth, Patron Saint of Themed parks. Protect us from break downs, long lines, and used gum. Amen.

"Dance like it hurts, love like you need money, and work when people are watching" - Dogbert

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Where should we go next?

Blog Entries

Yes, I thought they tried too hard with the dialog to be witty or cool or whatever.

But it was a cute movie, funny and real. I liked it.
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Just saw it. It was funny. The note she wrote to Vanessa (Jennifer Garner) was cool.

agreed that the dialogue was awkward. it could have been pulled off if they were less aware of how awkward it was- they seemed to get stuck at points. that's the difference between juno and gilmore girls or dawson's creek- they were able to pull it off more naturally, conversationally.

that said, the storyline and character development was excellent.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

I did enjoy it--and it was well-written. Yeah, the dialogue was a touch too intelligent for high school kids, but, in so many ways, I wished kids would be that smart.

But it was incongruent with her getting pregnant. If she's so bright, it seemed, she wouldn't burden herself with such designs.

The love she has for Bleeker, which I realized was the true crux of the tale, was very smooth and genuine. I also appreciated that her parents didn't get angry at all at her pronouncements. They were disappointed, but they handled it like adults and dealt with the issue at hand. The authors didn't jump to the usual storming about and screaming. Good stuff.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

I saw this a few weeks ago and really liked it. Found it to be a bit overrated though based on reviews I read and a few friends that had seen it on its opening weekend.

I saw it in a theater with a few hundred people. The laughs were there but they seemed more uncomfortable than genuine.

I did like how the story went off in unexpected ways; I really couldn't predict how it would all turn out. And I agree with you Roo about Juno's pregnancy. For as smart as she comes across I really thought that she would have demanded a condom. But then... there would've been no story.

However, maybe that's the point of film. Teenagers often try to come off as smarter and more worldly than they really are.

• Making my own Mousekteers

Well, I'm going to share a bit here. I am the child of a teenage pregnancy. My mother is a very smart person but even smart people can make stupid decisions when it involves hormones. I loved this movie. Mostly because it didn't try to denigrate the characters. So many times movies try to stereotype pregnant teens and turn everyone involved in the situation into 2D. It also doesn't use the storyline to try and sell any politcal agenda which happens a lot nowadays.

I think if people felt this movie was over rated it's because they were expecting an overt performance. Ellen Paige was very understated and just owned her character. It's the kind of subtle performance that breathes life into the character rather than beating you over the head with it. Not that we'll get to see the Oscars this year, but I really think she's earned a nomination at the very least.

• in technicolor!

I saw this movie last night and just loved it. Unlike a lot of the other movies I've seen in the past month [about 12] this was one of the only ones where I truly cared about the characters. I thought Ellen Page was absolutely fantastic.

As far as the language is concerned, maybe I am part of a rare breed, but the dialogue didn't seem awkward to me at all. I'm not saying my friends and I are overly intelligent or anything like that; maybe it was the smart-alec remarks that reminded me of the way that a lot of my friends talk.

• Making my own Mousekteers

I agree. I didn't think that the dialogue was particularly clever. The only person who got any really witty lines was Juno and I'm sure that we all knew a kid in high school that was smart alec that threw out snarky lines. I knew several. My favorite scene was the one when Bleek fights back against Juno and those are the some seriously lame lines. Michael Cera just nailed that awkward passive aggressive anger and really sold the sentiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast