Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Making my own Mousekteers

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Sneak Peeks

::SPOILERS:: Kind of.

I think I'd like someone new, totally new but still familiar with the text. Columbus did a great job for the movies he did but they were children's books, HBP and DH are NOT children's books. I'm not sure I'd want him directing it. Besides, it's not as much the director's fault as it is the writers responsibility to give a good representation of the text.

I'm totally with you Gracy, every time I go see the movies it boggles my mind the things they leave out. They have completely wasted Snape, Draco and Dumbledore. When I watched PofA I was actually yelling "come ON". Draco is not a snivelling weasel of a coward and Snape is not only funny... unless he's reading Harry's mind and Harry is lying to him and everyone knows it but Harry. Then they cut out a huge storyline of the Marauder's and Snape and add a scene that doesn't exist about Harry's mother ??? Why the heck would they waste time on something that doesn't have any impact on the story and just chucking info that was actually crucial to the development of the series?

Now they've written themselves into a corner becase HBP is pretty much driven by Snape and Draco and the movie incarnations are pathetic shadows of the hefty characters in the books. I simply cannot concieve of how they are going to get movie Draco up to emotional snuff to carry out assasination attempts on Dumbledore... Then to say that Snape will do it to protect Draco and the whole scene Snape has at the end of the book with Harry (which I can't wait to see Alan Rickman play) will be totally lost because there won't be any conflict because the movies haven't established any reason to have faith in Snape's character. Why OH why did they waste time developing auxillary characters like Lucius and Neville (whom I love) when a core character like Snape was left as a cartoon-like villain.

sorry, long post.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

I didn't see a difference in Dumbledore's costume...

I don't know about this. But then again... I will watch it. I am concerned that my favorite characters will get the shaft in this one. I love Tonks! I do and I don't know why, but I think she's rad, and she had such a small part in the last one. I love the whole Weasley family. The older brothers, Charlie and Bill... Dude I always had a crush on the one that was the dragon guy. I'm afraid those characters are going to get cut, which will suck because in the last book the whole Tonks thing OHMYGOSH! Box of tissues. I am afraid they'll focus on the Ginny and Lavendar Brown way too much and not on the drama. In regards to Dumbledore and Mr.Gambon's performance, I can't tell the difference. I just want a real bad arse playing his brother, Aberforth. I want Michael Caine to be in full "Children of Men" glory and rock Aberforth. Anyone?

micheal caine would be great aberforth! but for micheal gambon as dumbledoors, honestly i like his dumbldore alot more than richards harris's creation of it. when i saw the new dumbldore i was thrilled because that is how i saw dumbldore from the books, much more mischivious and secret than harris had played him.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    But I'm still irked that Order, the longest book, was made into the shortest film. What a dumb move!
    Therein lies the crux of the matter. Far too much was cut out, and it wasn't simply fluff either. Huge holes were left that need to be filled or else later plotlines will either make no sense or carry no weight. Between hacking up the story and Gambon taking a ginormous cinematic crap on the production Order turned out to be the lamest duck ever to waddle out of the swamp.

Just for the hell of it (and because I'm terribly bored) running times and page counts.

Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone - 309 pages & 2 hrs 32 mins. (2 pages per minute)
    Chamber of Secrets ------------- 341 pages & 2 hrs 41 mins. (2 pages per minute)
    Prisoner of Azkaban ------------- 435 pages & 2 hrs 21 mins. (3 pages per minute)
    Goblet of Fire -------------------- 734 pages & 2 hrs 37 mins. (4 1/2 pages per minute)
    Order of the Phoenix ------------ 870 pages & 2 hrs 18 mins. (6 pages per minute)
    Half-Blood Prince ---------------- 652 pages & ???

So Half-Blood Prince at Sorcerer's Stone rate would be 5 hours and twenty minutes long, which even I wouldn't support. At Phoenix's rate it would be 1 hour and 48 minutes long, which I would like even less, actually. Hopefully it wall fall somewhere in between. I know that they want to appeal to the masses and not turn off non-readers, but honestly it's the readers who have made Potter worth filming and the fanbase is so huge that they'd still make truckloads of cash if non-readers didn't go see it. Let's hope that this time they do the material justice instead of handing the book to literary butchers and screwing us all.

• Banned User

Oh yeah, and Michael Caine would make a wicked cool Aberforth. I would totally dig that.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Did Gambon piss in your breakfast juice as a child or something? Wow.

Anyway, I like his portrayal of Dumbledor, very much. Caine as Aberforth would be great too. How about Ian McClellan as Grindlewald?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

This guy is apparently Aberforth, but... it was never mentioned. I just see Aberforth as this guy whose brother is always in the spotlight, but... he kinda' dropped out. You know? So he could have been this bad arsed wizard, instead owns a bar, has a bad rep with a goat (his patronus is a goat, but didn't he do something to a goat?), and he just doesn't want to be bugged with the whole drama in the wizarding world. Michael Caine in full "Children of Men" mode seems like that guy. When I read the book that's who I was picturing.

Do we know the casting so far in this movie?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post

Anyway, I like his portrayal of Dumbledore, very much. Caine as Aberforth would be great too. How about Ian McClellan as Grindlewald?
    I think Grindlewald should be played by a non-English actor, since he went to Durmstrang.

I can only assume that Xenophilus Lovegood will be cut out of the DH. That would be a good role for a white-haired Rowan Atkinson. (I'm looking for something for Rowan.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

So, wondering what scenes need to be kept, and which will be let go, based on the scenes we've, um seen:
    Spoiler

1. Malfoy performs Petrificus Totalis on Harry on the train.
    2. So, I can assume that Tonks will find him, in her depressed state.
    3. Met by Snape, who notes her patronus.
    4. Narcissa is cast, so her and Bellatrix's meeting with Snape to perform the Unbreakable Vow will have to be shown.
    5. Perhaps a scene with Draco and Voldemort hinting at what "the job" is, without revealing too much.
    6. The "traveling wardrobe," for lack of a better term, was first noted in HP&TOOTP book, but not disclosed in the movie. Will Nocturn Alley scene with Draco be shown? I mean, the bad guys have to get to Hogwarts somehow, if not by the book's means.
    7. Quidditch back, in order to advance the XXX-YYY romances. Haven't seen whether McLaggen role has been filled, so I'm not sure if a lot of Quidditch will be shown. Felix, Ron, and Harry will play a role in the "first" match. McLaggen and Harry in the second (and possibly Draco in a non-playing role), while Ginny plays a big role in the third, probably not shown, match, while Harry is off doing something else after a bad decision to use Sectumsempra on someone.
    8. I need more from Snape. Apparently, Rickman was told of the major secret that Snape told Dumbledore, in order a) to get him to play the role (can't see anyone else in it), and b) to put some motivation in his acting. I want to see that hatred in his face, because of what he has to do and not because he wants to, and even though he knows it doesn't really matter in the extremely large picture, etc. (trying not to give too much away for the extreme unlikelihood of viewers here who have not read the books).
    9. All of the memories have to be shown. I can't see one that can be cut. (I'd like to see Angela Lansbury as Hepzubah (sp) Smith.) It's possible that instead of six separate meetings with Dumbledore and the Pensieve, one, maybe two max will be done.
    10. Cut a little out of the cave scene.
    11. Not sure how much of Kreacher will be cut, since his major role in HP&TOOTP was cut. (We know now how Dumbledore found out about the cave, though, even if it is never explicitly disclosed in the books.)
    12. I hope that Harry uses the RoR to hide his book, and that a certain item is subtly shown. Otherwise, "DH" will have a huge plot hole.
    13. Nobody filling the role of Fenrir Greyback (possibly CG'd), so that whole plot could be nixed.
    14. Fleur Delacour doesn't seem to be cast for this movie. Another plot hole for "DH" going out the window? That means no Christmas at the Burrow, no Bill getting injured, no wedding in "DH"?
    15. Could skip the whole funeral scene, opting for a passing shot.
    16. No mention of Scrimgeour on IMDB. I would find it amusing if Hugh Grant (recurring role from "Love, Actually") were to play the PM in the opening scene (if the book were to be followed closely). I can see that whole scene being cut, though, but it would be a nice way to show that at least the people at the top of Muggle government know about the Wizarding World (even if their memories are erased after they leave office).
    17. Nice that the Ginny thing was being subtly hinted at in TOOTP movie, though there was no hint of her having other relationships, as the book noted. I'm sure there will be a few less subtle moments in "HBP."
    18. There are so many moments in the book where the three major characters are not together, that it will be a different feeling movie from the others. A lot more Harry-Hermione scenes, which should frustrate that lot of "shippers." The ward scene after Ron's "injury" will have to be there. And a not-in-book Hermy-Ron kiss (finally) will not be unwelcome. No need to wait until "DH" for that.

I'd like at least three hours and 45 minutes, please. At least. I'd like "DH" to be a "Kill Bill Volumes I and II"-style event. Split at the point when Ron rejoins Harry and Hermione.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Okay maybe this is me being forgetful or just missing the whole "OMGosh! Snape is good," but I am confused what exactly he did to so that makes Harry do that at the end of the series. Can someone explain it to me? I mean if I remember right, I just felt bad for Snape like "Aw, he's a little emo kid who got in with the wrong crowd and grew up to be an Emo grown up..."

The wolves have to be in this one. They have to explain all Bill's issues in DHallows, which shows how much the Weasley family have given up/lost for this war (it also explains Mrs. Weasley's outburst, which if they cut that I will cry!). Fleur... they could do background stuff like Ron saying "Hey Harry guess what?!" or Mrs. Weasley mopping about Bill not being open for Tonks. But she was casted already. In the GoFire.

Since this movie sets up DH, it can't lack and I am really nervous for this. I am glad Slughorn is casted well though! Love Mr.Broadbent! He was in "Bridget Jones" and I loved him in that. It'd be great if they casted the PM as Hugh Grant,only because I have wanted him in the movies since they started them. Like he would have been great as Lockhart, but him as the PM would be fun! I could care less about the Quidditch stuff... never been a fan of that...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post

Anyway, I like his portrayal of Dumbledor, very much. Caine as Aberforth would be great too. How about Ian McClellan as Grindlewald?
    I'm with Jazzman on this. Gambon isn't anywhere in the same universe as the Dumbledore I had in mind from the books, where as Maggie Smith is the PERFECT McGongall. I mean...what kind of deal did they get with this guy? Did he fall off a truck? Was he the only unemployed older British actor around when they lost Richard Harris? His accent is wrong, his character is wrong, and he comes across as a bumbling, crotchety old hippy git. (i.e. I hate him.)

As for the director, I can't believe what he lets go by in the film. There is SO much dead time where nothing is happening. Timing is off SO MUCH in Phoenix. The scene where Harry just arrives at Grimmauld place and the twins show up and ask if he's done shouting....he wasn't shouting! If you're the director...stop the freaking film and FIX it! Harry was SUPPOSED to EXPLODE in this film....and he DOESN'T. It's the director's job to pull this out of him!

And, as with the last few films, they chop so much of it up that it's hard to get any kind of momentum going at any given time. It's like watching the CliffsNotes version.

Bah.

Other than that, we're looking forward to the next one.

Smile Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Sneak Peeks

::Spoilers:: If you haven't read the books

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Okay maybe this is me being forgetful or just missing the whole "OMGosh! Snape is good," but I am confused what exactly he did to so that makes Harry do that at the end of the series. Can someone explain it to me? I mean if I remember right, I just felt bad for Snape like "Aw, he's a little emo kid who got in with the wrong crowd and grew up to be an Emo grown up..."
    You mean, aside from the fact that Snape tried to stop Voldemort from killing his mother? Not to mention that after she dies Snape devotes his life to preserving Harry's? He sacrifices every friend he has and the new life that he'd built to follow Dumbledore's orders and even when his life was in danger all he could think of was to get to Harry and warn him of what he needed to do to kill Voldemort. When Snape follows Dumbledore's orders and kills him he becomes a pariah. Not one person in the wizarding world, besides Death Eaters, doesn't want him dead. Including all of the people that he'd spent the last 16 years working with. Snape gives up everything, including his life, to help save everyone. I believe that would be enough motivation for Harry to think of him as a good guy.... not to mention he probably had more than a little sympathy for him after seeing how he grew up and his devestation at losing Lilly.

• Rock Star Minion

Also, Snape's Petronus has never changed, and Harry knows that Snape is the good guy (not necessarily "the nice guy") at the end, due to something that happens halfway through "DH."
    Oh, and that last DH scene with Snape had better be the biggest cry-making scene ever in a movie. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Oh, and that last DH scene with Snape had better be the biggest cry-making scene ever in a movie. Ever.
    If they cheat Alan Rickman out of that scene I'm going to lead a riot. He's lost so many good parts from the book they had better give him that.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    If they cheat Alan Rickman out of that scene I'm going to lead a riot. He's lost so many good parts from the book they had better give him that.
    I will stand next to you with torch and pitchfork in hand!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast