Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Sneak Peeks

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    If they cheat Alan Rickman out of that scene I'm going to lead a riot. He's lost so many good parts from the book they had better give him that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    I will stand next to you with torch and pitchfork in hand!
    Anyone remember whether Petunia mentions "that boy" in the movie after Hagrid shows up?

I think the movie can take a shortcut by doing what they did in "TOOTP," having Harry read the thoughts instead of going all the way back to the Pensieve. That might make the scene even more powerful.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Making my own Mousekteers

No, Petunia doesn't mention it. Because they cut the whole section where Harry explains what attacked Dudley. Yet another glorious tidbit that we were denied.

They can't have him read thoughts, Harry is not a Legilimens. Snape would have to try and use Occlumency and have Harry use Protego (shield charm) against him. Quite frankly I don't think he's in any shape to try it at the end of that scene.... I've just realized what an uber geek I am for knowing that crap.

Still, is anyone else seriously concerned about the huge mistake they made by having Umbridge blow open the room of requirement. How the ::beep:: are they going to run the critical storylines in DH and HBP if you can just blast your way into the room. Harry could just bombard the room to catch Malfoy and you can bet your bottom that the Death Eaters that Voldemort stations at the school in DH would have no hesitation at blowing that room sky high if it was to catch the resistance. Plot hole anybody???

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Anyone remember whether Petunia mentions "that boy" in the movie after Hagrid shows up?

I think the movie can take a shortcut by doing what they did in "TOOTP," having Harry read the thoughts instead of going all the way back to the Pensieve. That might make the scene even more powerful.
    Actually Yes, In Sorcerer's Stone Petunia says something to the affect of "and then she met that boy, and she ran off and got married" so the implication is of "that boy" being James Potter in the movies.

• Rock Star Minion

No, Petunia doesn't mention it. Because they cut the whole section where Harry explains what attacked Dudley. Yet another glorious tidbit that we were denied.

They can't have him read thoughts, Harry is not a Legilimens. Snape would have to try and use Occlumency and have Harry use Protego (shield charm) against him. Quite frankly I don't think he's in any shape to try it at the end of that scene.... I've just realized what an uber geek I am for knowing that crap.

Still, is anyone else seriously concerned about the huge mistake they made by having Umbridge blow open the room of requirement. How the ::beep:: are they going to run the critical storylines in DH and HBP if you can just blast your way into the room. Harry could just bombard the room to catch Malfoy and you can bet your bottom that the Death Eaters that Voldemort stations at the school in DH would have no hesitation at blowing that room sky high if it was to catch the resistance. Plot hole anybody???
    1. I'm referring to Sorcerer's Stone movie. Sorry that I did not note that. Yeah, I would have liked to have seen that slip by Petunia in TOOTP. It would explain what eventually happens in DH.
    2. In HBP movie, I'm guessing that Harry won't realize where Draco is until the very end, when it's too late. The thing (a wardrobe?) he utilizes was noted in TOOTP book, but not in the movie, since Quidditch was cut and there was no need for the Weasley twins to stuff the Slytherin into it.
    3. In DH movie, Snape could possibly open his mind to Harry, or take his memories straight from his head to Harry's. Something like that.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Actually Yes, In Sorcerer's Stone Petunia says something to the affect of "and then she met that boy, and she ran off and got married" so the implication is of "that boy" being James Potter in the movies.
    That's a clever little bit of deception by JKR. Nice of her to be on the set for that movie, to make sure it stayed, as only she knew how important it was.

Is there a flash shot in Snape's mind in TOOTP movie where he is on a swing as a boy? I'm getting this image, possibly from the DH chapter illustration.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    2. In HBP movie, I'm guessing that Harry won't realize where Draco is until the very end, when it's too late. The thing (a wardrobe?) he utilizes was noted in TOOTP book, but not in the movie, since Quidditch was cut and there was no need for the Weasley twins to stuff the Slytherin into it.
    3. In DH movie, Snape could possibly open his mind to Harry, or take his memories straight from his head to Harry's. Something like that.
    If they aren't going to have Harry find him till the end of the movie then what on earth is he going to be doing?? Harry spends most of the book stalking Malfoy and trying to get into the room of requirment. Even if they do find a way around that what about DH? The Death Eaters know the room is there (Malfoy tells them) and they know the resistance is hiding in it. Why wouldn't they just blast into the place? It makes no sense. They even make a point in the book of saying that the room opens up on different corridors so they can get out of it without the Death Eaters catching them.

And if they do just have Snape "open his mind" or something like that I'm going to be irritated as all heck. First of all because the movie would just be making up stuff that couldn't happen in the potterverse and secondly because that means that Harry wouldn't be able to walk through the memories like in the pensieve. Which means we'll end up with a diluted section of that scene... which, as I've mentioned before, will mean I will have to riot. Not to mention if they touch Aberforth and the entrance into Hogwarts through the room of requirement I will be seriously cheesed off. I thought it was amazing that the R of R could make another secret passage to Hogsmeade.

• Knight that says Nee!!

If they aren't going to have Harry find him till the end of the movie then what on earth is he going to be doing?? Harry spends most of the book stalking Malfoy and trying to get into the room of requirment. Even if they do find a way around that what about DH? The Death Eaters know the room is there (Malfoy tells them) and they know the resistance is hiding in it. Why wouldn't they just blast into the place? It makes no sense. They even make a point in the book of saying that the room opens up on different corridors so they can get out of it without the Death Eaters catching them.

And if they do just have Snape "open his mind" or something like that I'm going to be irritated as all heck. First of all because the movie would just be making up stuff that couldn't happen in the potterverse and secondly because that means that Harry wouldn't be able to walk through the memories like in the pensieve. Which means we'll end up with a diluted section of that scene... which, as I've mentioned before, will mean I will have to riot. Not to mention if they touch Aberforth and the entrance into Hogwarts through the room of requirement I will be seriously cheesed off. I thought it was amazing that the R of R could make another secret passage to Hogsmeade.
    It seems we are starting to get into that area of expectation that the movie must be like the book and even follow the same "rules" (magic system) as the book. That's an unreasonable expectation for any of us to have. The other films have already shown us things that would not have happened in the book or even that could not have and so I would expect the next two to do the same as well.

Obviously bad changes to basic plot and characters would be bad but, unfortunately, I would think that the film makers would concider details such as how and where they get into the RoR would be changable if it suited their needs for filming.

• Rock Star Minion

Yeah, the RoR blasting was very bad. Not sure whether JKR was consulted on that. TOOTP was very divergent from the book, and since it's a series, it might be important to ask the author about such things.

::SPOILERS:: If you haven't read the books

If it's not going to follow the rules of magic that dictate the plot of the books then change the name and make a different movie. These aren't minor details they are major plot points that drive the action in the story. What spells they use and trivial stuff like that doesn't matter but the R of R is a major plot device in multiple stories.

Without the R of R being impenetrable there is no story in HBP for Harry and there is no secret entrance into Hogwarts for DH. If Harry doesn't get Snape's memory there is no proof of his innocence and the truth dies with him which completely wastes the redemtive quality of the scene because Harry is the only one who knows the truth. Malfoy not being a coward is the only way you can believe that he would try to kill Dumbledore. Snape needs to be a fully developed emotional character or the last scene of HBP and all of DH that even mentions him is pointless.

Of course they could just throw all that out and then I wouldn't see the movie because it wouldn't be Harry Potter anymore. Just some lame money grubbing studio's pathetic attempt to extort the fan base of the books. I understand artistic license and thus far they haven't done anything that can't be redeemed but they are teetering on a precipice of making real fans of the books completely dismiss the last two movies.

• Still lost in Neverland

You all do realize that Jo has total control over everything Harry Potter and that includes the Movies from Warner Brothers and the Theme Park coming from Universal don't you? She must sign off on anything from story points to costumes to props. EVERYTHING is under her control, so there won't be anything like making a whole new movie. The points left out were done with her OK. So that has to mean she know what will be done during movies #6 and 7. She will make sure it call comes out the way it should.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

• Rock Star Minion

In the RoR, Malfoy could simply state he needs a passageway to Borgin and Burkes.

Not sure how we're supposed to believe that Malfoy is that clever, or that it would take him a whole movie to "make it work," as he did with the cabinet (or whatever that thing was).
    Maybe he overhears it, but still, we'd be under the impression that he had a job to do while we see him on the Hogwarts Express (the sneaks show him attacking Harry), but that he has no idea how he's he's going to do it until possibly the end? Bah, I say. BAH!
    Sure I trust that JKR has final say, but I also think that she slipped a bit, (possibly on the pound notes that cover her flooring). and that she might not care that much about the films as we're all led to assume.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    You all do realize that Jo has total control over everything Harry Potter and that includes the Movies from Warner Brothers and the Theme Park coming from Universal don't you? She must sign off on anything from story points to costumes to props. EVERYTHING is under her control, so there won't be anything like making a whole new movie. The points left out were done with her OK. So that has to mean she know what will be done during movies #6 and 7. She will make sure it call comes out the way it should.
    I don't recall ever hearing she had that kind of deal. Normally authors have consultation rights and are welcomed to make suggestions but final decisions about the film are left up to the studio/producer. An excellent example would be the time Anne Rice was reportedly forcibly removed from the set and had a restraining order placed on her to stay off the set of "An Interview With A Vampire" due to her not agreeing with casting and some story changes and trying to stop the filming of it. It is possible that JKR has a special agreement with the studio that gives her more yes/no power but I haven't heard of that anywhere.

• Still lost in Neverland

It is well known withing the Harry Potter Fan community since the first Harry Potter Movie. In order to get the rights, WB had to take JK as part of the deal. She has been on the set a lot, tell the directors yes or no on doing various things. She has to sign off on any changes. She has total Cast approval. Anything added to or removed from the story has to be approved by her. All the major fan sights have posted this since the first movie deal was signed and she has been on board ever since. She also has final approval on anything that Universal plans for the Harry Potter Theme Park as well. This was not a normal deal that WB had to sign in order to get the HP Franchise.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

Thank you Lost Boy for taking the words out of my mouth. That deal that JK had with WB was the only thing that gave me hope.

I don't think that she doesn't care because of the money, but she may be more cavalier about it because she doesn't take the movies as seriously as the fans do. Mostly she only steps in if they violate a critical scene that doesn't look critical and they plan on cutting it. The biggest examples are her forcing them to put the scene at Borgin and Burkes back in C of Se , not putting the graveyard in P of A and not cutting Kreacher from O of TP. That and when the write things in that fundamentally alter a character, like giving Dumbledore a girlfriend in HBP.

There have been a few things that I was really surprised that she didn't object to but the issue with RofR is the first thing that was actually necessary to the plot. What on earth is this movie going to be about?? Obviously not the stuff that was in the book.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    It is well known withing the Harry Potter Fan community since the first Harry Potter Movie. In order to get the rights, WB had to take JK as part of the deal. She has been on the set a lot, tell the directors yes or no on doing various things. She has to sign off on any changes. She has total Cast approval. Anything added to or removed from the story has to be approved by her. All the major fan sights have posted this since the first movie deal was signed and she has been on board ever since. She also has final approval on anything that Universal plans for the Harry Potter Theme Park as well. This was not a normal deal that WB had to sign in order to get the HP Franchise.
    Gosh really? And here I am, a member of the "Harry Potter Fan community" and never heard such a thing. The deal I saw/read about was that she had to be a consultant, which is a standard author's deal, I have never read anywhere official that said she has "final decision" powers that extend even over the producer's/studio execs head. Perhaps some of the "Harry Potter Fan community" are assuming she has more power over the studios than she does. I'll be the first to admit though that if any living author could wrench a better from the studios, JKR would be the one.

I know for the last film she stepped in and made (her words) several "suggestions" about certain scenes or characters that were going to be left out but that she knew were going to be important in the seventh book (thus the 7th movie as well). As far as the theme park goes, I have no idea about the theme park stuff as it is seldom an auther has inspired a theme park ride let alone a whole park, so there is no "standard deal" like there is for the studios.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast