Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678

• Making my own Mousekteers

Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince - Sneak Peeks

Now, now, there is no need for torches. Flame throwers are much more effective. Join the 21st century lynch mobs....

I tend to blame the writers and directors equally. Depending on what it is that's angering me. For instance, the scene that they put in the 3rd movie with Lupin and Harry that didn't exist. Was that Cuaron or Kloves? I don't know but whoever it was it made me so mad I was ready to chew nails and spit bullets. They utterly erased the story of the Marauders and the one scene in the movie where they had the opportunity to throw something, anything back in they created a scene that meant nothing.

As for what JKR did or didn't tell them, it remains a mystery to me. I know they were planning on cutting Kreacher completely and she told them that they couldn't because he was crucial later on but to what extent did she tell them? I know that the house elves are expensive but I really, really want those Dobby scenes in DH. And the stuff with Kreacher. I think that's why I'm so Ok with them exploiting it into 2 movies. That way maybe they'll be able to justify the expense of the CGI characters. ::fingers crossed::

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

MODERATOR NOTE:

There has been a lot of great discussion in this thread.

Please remember you are welcome toy post your own personal opinions but may NOT at any time attack another member of the site. MiceChat is a friendly and welcoming site.

Let's keep this great discussion on topic!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    Now, now, there is no need for torches. Flame throwers are much more effective. Join the 21st century lynch mobs....

I tend to blame the writers and directors equally. Depending on what it is that's angering me. For instance, the scene that they put in the 3rd movie with Lupin and Harry that didn't exist. Was that Cuaron or Kloves? I don't know but whoever it was it made me so mad I was ready to chew nails and spit bullets. They utterly erased the story of the Marauders and the one scene in the movie where they had the opportunity to throw something, anything back in they created a scene that meant nothing.

As for what JKR did or didn't tell them, it remains a mystery to me. I know they were planning on cutting Kreacher completely and she told them that they couldn't because he was crucial later on but to what extent did she tell them? I know that the house elves are expensive but I really, really want those Dobby scenes in DH. And the stuff with Kreacher. I think that's why I'm so Ok with them exploiting it into 2 movies. That way maybe they'll be able to justify the expense of the CGI characters. ::fingers crossed::
    Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dobby is somehow completely written out of the final film. They'll find a way to do it, I'm sure. And I don't expect Dobby's death scene to be there, either. I mean, why bother? The film-going audience hasn't seen Dobby for ages - there's no emotional bond with the character, let alone a real understanding of the character in the films.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Honestly, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Dobby is somehow completely written out of the final film. They'll find a way to do it, I'm sure. And I don't expect Dobby's death scene to be there, either. I mean, why bother? The film-going audience hasn't seen Dobby for ages - there's no emotional bond with the character, let alone a real understanding of the character in the films.
    That's very true. Unlike the books, the movies haven't seen Dobby since #3 and so to suddenly bring him back and make a big deal of his death would be inconsistant. It's a shame.

• Golden State of Mind

i can do without dooby
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Earth Intruder

I'm sorry, but an episodic, faithful retelling of the Harry Potter books on screen would be boring boring boring. What works on paper in a novel is not necessarily what works on screen. ALL ADAPTATIONS to varying degrees chop parts of the book out.... the movie simply has to work on its OWN terms, without the books.

Frankly, I think splitting the last Harry Potter movie into two entire films is exploitative money grubbing on the part of the producers. Just end the damn thing already! If they're going to do that, I'll probably just wait for Netflix.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Golden State of Mind

you'll go and see them you know it
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    I'm sorry, but an episodic, faithful retelling of the Harry Potter books on screen would be boring boring boring. What works on paper in a novel is not necessarily what works on screen. ALL ADAPTATIONS to varying degrees chop parts of the book out.... the movie simply has to work on its OWN terms, without the books.

Frankly, I think splitting the last Harry Potter movie into two entire films is exploitative money grubbing on the part of the producers. Just end the damn thing already! If they're going to do that, I'll probably just wait for Netflix.
    Yeah, I would rather (if they needed more than 2 hours to tell the story once it is transfered from book form to film form) have them put out a longer film (movies like Braveheart, LotR, and King Kong to name a few have shown that a 3 hour or so movie can work with an audience) rather than 2 seperate movies I have to buy two tickets for.

Unfortunately a long movie potentially cuts into profits since they can't show as many viewings per day in one show-room and two movies is potentially "twice" the ticket sales so it is easy to guess which choice the studio and theaters would make right?

• Rock Star Minion

It might be easier to switch Kreacher for Dobby. Harry could easily call for Kreacher in the Malfoy prison cell. Then Kreacher dies saving the group. Sure, that means he's not in the battle scene later, but Dobby could lead that attack.
    This would require a lot more build-up of Kreacher as a loyal house elf (from reluctant one).
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

option: Make the ticket prices higher for that one long film.
    Problems:
    1. People might not want to sit down for that long, even with an old-school intermission.
    2. People might not want to pay that much at once, though they'd freely pay half as much twice with a period of time in-between. (People also will not save up their entertainment budget by skipping crap movies, though they really should, in order to force higher quality in movies.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Making my own Mousekteers

::spoilers, if you haven't read the books::

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    This idea hurts my heart. I mean, don't get me wrong, I know it can happen and probably will. I seriously wept when Dobby died though and I can't stand the thought of losing it in the film. Particularly since it's part of the emotional barrage that forces Harry into choosing his death over everyone elses. That's why J.K.R decided that she had to axe Lupin and Tonks. She felt like there had to be a big enough build up of loss around Harry to push him into the decision to die for everyone else. It's the emotional equivilant of overloading and melting down.

Let's face it, there are not many people who would choose to walk knowingly into death to save other people. It's really easy to say but not nearly as easy to do. Not to mention, Harry is just a teenager. If they just have him dart off and say something like "now I must die to save all humanity" I'm going to throw something at the screen. Without his devestation and sense of loss it's going to play really really cartoony and I don't want that. Everyone who dies in the series is part of that. You can almost feel it piling up on Harry. Also that is what convinces the goblin to help them. They shouldn't have cut the house elves from the series. It's not like they aren't making millions off of us anyway.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678