View Poll Results: What do you think of Warner Bros. decision go to Blu-Ray exclusive?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is the nail in the coffin for HD-DVD

14 70.00%
  • Stupid decision as the HD-DVD will come out on top in the end

2 10.00%
  • I don't see why they can't just have two formats

2 10.00%
  • Other

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Earth Intruder

Warner Bros. goes Blu-Ray Exclusive

Well after a lot of speculation, Warner Bros. has gone bluray exclusive:

EngadgetHD Link

What do y'all think? Nail in the coffin for HD-DVD?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

Re: Warner Bros. goes Blu-Ray Exclusive

It's definately getting there Cherny.

What would piss me off is if I had an HD-DVD and had bought WB movies on the HD format only to find out now they are going Blu-Ray.

EDIT: I created a poll to see what everybody thinks of this new and very interesting development.
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 01-04-2008 at 01:09 PM.

With this news and the news that Apple would be shipping Macs with Blu-Ray support.

I am starting to think a "nail in the coffin"
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    What would piss me off is if I had an HD-DVD and had bought WB movies on the HD format only to find out now they are going Blu-Ray.

Apparently the Blurays of Harry Potter were significantly outselling the HD-DVD format to the point that WB threw in the towel. Plus (duh) they were paid by the Bluray camp in the same way that Paramount and Universal were paid to get in the HD-DVD camp.

WB's press release talks about how the consumer confusion has led to a stagnation of Hi-Def media in general (and how the window of opportunity on the entire format could pass by if nobody wins), which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Until May, WB will be producing movies on Bluray and DVD (with an HD-DVD release to follow). Then after May, they drop HD-DVD.

If I had purchased an HD-DVD player specifically for WB titles, then I'd probably be annoyed, but it isn't like the HD-DVD's you've already bought will be unusable. Most HDTVs nowadays come with multiple HDMI/Component video slots. Worst case scenario, there are hybrid players...
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

• Circle of Ancients

I think the apple thing is HUGE. Bigger than the WB thing as far as nail in the coffin.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Last year, Warner Bros. had actually proposed releasing Hi-Def discs in a dual HD-DVD/Blu-ray format. That obviously never panned out.

Now that Warner is switching to Blu-ray exclusively, that's a huge blow to HD-DVD--especially since Warner had once led the charge for that format.

As soon as the prices drop a little more, I'm upgrading to Blu-ray.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    I think the apple thing is HUGE. Bigger than the WB thing as far as nail in the coffin.
    I totally agree with you there.

I can't wait to see what the HD-DVD camp does in response to all of this. Free players, perhaps?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    WB's press release talks about how the consumer confusion has led to a stagnation of Hi-Def media in general (and how the window of opportunity on the entire format could pass by if nobody wins), which I wholeheartedly agree with.
    Excellent point. The other issue with Hi-Def formats is at what point will the average consumer appreciate the improvement in audio and video enough to upgrade from standard DVD--or will they simply be forced to switch as studios abandon the format? It was a no-brainer switching from VHS to DVD. That was a quantum leap in quality. Moving from DVD to (most likely now) Blu-ray is not as big an improvement, unless you have a 40'' or bigger HDTV screen with surround speakers. I suspect most people will be content to stay with conventional DVD's until they're given a convincing reason to go Hi-Def.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

"Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience".

I don't know if that is globally true or not, but it is for me. After a long period of "analysis paralysis" on my part, I jumped into the Hi Def market this Christmas. I took a long hard look at both formats and was really close to getting the Toshiba A3 for under $200. I also have a 360 which I could have bought the add on for at $130, (wanted a stand alone because I donít like the thought of my Xbox having to be on while I watch movies). After a lot of research and thought, I changed my mind and bought a PS3 for $400. I figured that even if I choose the wrong format, I would at least have a PS3!! I am REALLY glad I made that call, because I would be really bummed and trying to return my HD DVD player right about now.

P.S Also DISNEY played a huge role in my choosing Blu Ray. I donít like Sonyís proprietary nonsense, but I had to acquiesce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Moving from DVD to (most likely now) Blu-ray is not as big an improvement, unless you have a 40'' or bigger HDTV screen with surround speakers.
    Totally. There's no way I would buy a player unless I had the correct setup for it... I'd recommend a 50"+ set.

I suspect most people will be content to stay with conventional DVD's until they're given a convincing reason to go Hi-Def.
    Also, not all movies look THAT much better in Hi-Def (especially movies that are older and filmed on grainy stock to begin with). Better, yes, but not like the "oh my GOD" reaction when you see (and hear) Ratatouille for the first time on Bluray. Most movies from the 2000s look significantly better than their DVD counterparts.

Personally, I am not going to upgrade my already-owned DVDs for Bluray, unless it's something like Lord of the Rings. But when I decide to purchase anything from here on out, it'll be purchased on the Bluray format if available, as opposed to DVD.

• Circle of Ancients

That's kind of my thought as well Cherny.

I won't be upgrading EVERYTHING once we eventually go HD. But things like LOTR, Star Wars, etc will be upgraded. And probably most of the computer animated movies from Pixar/Disney. Everything else will remain DVD since really, in movies prior to 2000 you aren't going to see a huge difference.

You can only tweak the source so much to get the best results. And in most older movies, it's just not going to make a difference.

What are the thoughts of the "tweaking" having more of a positive affect on animated pictures more so than the "filmed" pictures?

Any opinions on what the overall presentation for Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray may look like?

I am guessing a lot more can be done to enhance an animated feature than a live action feature due to the process of animation itself and how the film has been processed.
    "If you build it right, they will come." - Bob Iger

"I'm not a literary person. As far as realism is concerned, you can find dirt anyplace you look for it. I'm one of those optimists. There's always a rainbow." - Walt Disney

"I don't care about critics. Critics take themselves too seriously. They think the only way to be noticed and to be the smart guy is to pick and find fault with things. It's the public I'm making pictures for." - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • back to basics

I see this as a sign that this war is almost over. One problem with HD-DVD that I see is that it has the letters DVD in it. The general public sees that and thinks, well I already have a DVD player and ignores the HD aspect of it. Blu-Ray at least sounds like a totally different technology than the average DVD to the non-technical people out there.

ErikAnders.smugmug.com

Fratsor Brother - ΔΜΧΑ

1519, 4066, 423, 600, 2469, 378, 5044, 888

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by ROBONICS95 View Post
    What are the thoughts of the "tweaking" having more of a positive affect on animated pictures more so than the "filmed" pictures?

Any opinions on what the overall presentation for Sleeping Beauty on Blu Ray may look like?

I am guessing a lot more can be done to enhance an animated feature than a live action feature due to the process of animation itself and how the film has been processed.
    I definately think that Animation can benefit from new waves of technology more than traditional films.

For most of the old animation movies you have the original prints and cells still available for re-scanning, etc. My biggest thing on the older animated films has, since the beginning of DVD been the sound quality.

They have made HUGE improvements in the picture technology on movies such as Cinderalla, Jungle Book, etc. But enhancing the sound of such movies has seemingly taken a back seat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast