Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

Sky High - Super Flop

Ok, I had a feeling this would happen...

Sky High pulled in only 17 million in it's opening weekend... It had some great reviews, but most of them where mixed...

The production budget for the film is 37 million... (That doesn't include Marketing costs...)

Traditionally films of this sort make 35% of its income on opening, and then it is a law of deminishing returns... This means it may make it's nut...

I was really concerned about this film... I guess my concerns where justified...

However Kurt Russel pulled in more viewers than Herbie, which opened with 12 mill and had a production budget of 50 mill...

My question is are these really "singles and doubles" or "ground outs?"
    Check out my other blog:

• șoș Tom șoș

Re: Sky High - Super Flop

I call it a "gap" double.

It was a busy weekend and word of mouth on Wedding Crashers and a deminishing screen availability for the Island and a lingering curiosity for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory pushed the super hero flick to the back burner. I expect a decent week and follow up weekend based on word of mouth I have heard and the number of people I know who plan on still seeing it.

It will most likely make back its budget here domestically and make a profit internationally and in home video release.

• Happy Memories

Yeah, I wouldn't rule it a "super flop" just yet. I think it will at least break even at the box office. I doubt it will do much beyond that, but DVD could make up some of the loss. From what I was reading earlier this morning it did still excede analyst expectations.

Disney's Film division could really use a hit if they want to do anything more than break even for the year. With the exception the Pacifier's surprise success, pretty much every other Disney film this year has underperformed or merely broken even. They need for both Chicken Little and Narnia to be huge if they want to end the year on a positive note.

•   
    • Minion

That has sort of been my point... Their slate of films this summer have been really lack luster so far... Especially their Adult Film units... The stuff coming out of Disney Studio right now is particularly bland...

I mean, granted they are not repeating last year's flops that lossed millions... But they aren't really risking much putting out this stuff.... I think the studio can do better than this if they really tried... It isn't the amount of money you have out... It is giving it to the right people who have projects worth doing... Or working the projects yourself that are worth doing... It isn't happening...

The next proving film will be Valiant... and I believe is a sleaper hit... No body really is talking much about it, because I think Disney doesn't really want it to do extremely well... Nor do they expect it to... But my gut instinct is going to do better than people will expect...
    Check out my other blog:

• Iron-Clad Allie

Valliant is produced by the producer of Shrek. I believe it will far excede expectations as well...as will Sky High. It's barely three days out and it's doing fine. I too believe that there are all kinds of people who plan to see it, plus word of mouth will drive them forward into the theaters.

Theater seets have been filled almost to capacity at each showing at one of the theaters that I checked with in the Modesto, CA area - and people are loving it.

• Minion

I liked it! I think word-of-mouth will build, at least for matinee audiences. Remember kids tickets are sometimes 1/2 the price, so seats are not empty here...

I've been working in the Movie Theatre biz for about 17 years now and this downwards spiral is no big surpise with all the crap the studios have been hocking. SKY HIGH is a fine movie and I really liked it. The theatre I'm at now is doing pretty well with it. I think it'll earn money and be a hit, just not overnight, like we're use to.

I think the metality that everything should open with $80 million seems to be the norm and when it doesn't happen, everyone gasps. But, for years, most films only made $20 mil on opening weekend.

I think the trend is Studio's put out crap, people don't want to see it, the Studio's wonder why, panic and put out more crap... In a year or so, they'll figure it out and start putting out other things besides remakes and sequals. That said, I think the $50 mil opening B.O. will be rare.

And Valiant isn't going to be a big success as past Disney pictures. I think opening it a few weeks before kids go back to school is a bad sign. If Disney had any type of faith in that films "legs" they would have opened it in early June. A Disney film could last most of the summer easy.

• Know More Than You Should

I actually know the guy who played, er, the kid with Super-Speed.

•   
    • Minion

Well, I am not saying the movie is bad here... There are some mixed reviews, but most critics generally like the film... But they also generally liked Around the World in 80 Days too, and just because a film gets word of mouth doesn't seem to make it do better at the BO right now... Look at Cinderella Man...

The problem is this, the box office hasn't done particularly well here for a while... I want something that will blow us out of the water...
    '
    14 mill is not there... I think if we said it was 20-22 mill, then I think the film would have done well beyond my expectations... But 14 at opening? In a word, "blah..."

And however, I think it has done better than Herbie, Fully Loaded... Which cost more and didn't fare as well... However, I think Herbie remakes are somewhat cursed...

I am like most other people are waiting for home video...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

The preview for the movie looks cute enough. I haven't seen it though. Perhaps I will this weekend.

Disney had an underwhelming string of movies like this just before Micheal Eisner became CEO of the company. I think it is time they shake it up a bit and take some risks to find their new groove, so to speak.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• șoș Tom șoș

I believe Sky High is and could be a great concept with a great cast- but it looks as if they contracted the cinematographer who shoots all the Disney Channel movies and got the cheapest special effects team possible to gloss it over. Kids want fun but they have been treated to amazing special effects and anything less is just a paltery lame excuse and means someone cut corners.

That said Disney needs to reflect on the live action films that made the company, bring back swash buckling adventures, daring exploration films and intriguing science fiction that bring families to the theatre.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks
    I believe Sky High is and could be a great concept with a great cast- but it looks as if they contracted the cinematographer who shoots all the Disney Channel movies and got the cheapest special effects team possible to gloss it over. Kids want fun but they have been treated to amazing special effects and anything less is just a paltery lame excuse and means someone cut corners.

That said Disney needs to reflect on the live action films that made the company, bring back swash buckling adventures, daring exploration films and intriguing science fiction that bring families to the theatre.
    Well the production budget was a humble 37 million... I think that is as low as you can go studio wise with out going the indy route and pull off a "Blair Witch at Sky High"... For this budget I would imagine the largest cost was Kurt Russle's Salary...
    Check out my other blog:

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

I saw the preview on TV and thought it looked ok, but I just said to myself "They are doing a really crappy job of marketing this movie."
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

We saw this just last night. Whoever said it looked like Disney Channel movies was right. That was the only thing about the movie we didn't like. The editing was bad, the effects looked like they came right out of Even Stevens and we paid 20 bucks for it, which made us mad. BUT, the movie was super cute, funny, and had a great 80s soundtrack. We'd recommend it, and I think it'll pick up, especially in DVD sales. Our theatre in Brooklyn was packed with kids and parents and they all loved it.

I really liked the movie. One of the boards I go to pretty regularly is about comics and there was a thread about Sky High. Most people liked it and thought it would be a sleeper hit. I definately recomend the movie.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast