Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Heath Ledger, 28, Is Found Dead

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20.../index.html?hp

The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment in Manhattan, according to the New York City police. Signs pointed to a suicide or an accidental overdose, police sources said. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., according to the police, a masseuse arrived at the fourth-floor apartment of the building, at 421 Broome Street, between Crosby and Lafayette Streets in SoHo, for an appointment with Mr. Ledger. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of the bedroom Mr. Ledger was in. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger naked and unconscious on a bed, with sleeping pills — both prescription medication and nonprescription — on a night table. They moved his body to the floor and attempted to revive him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities.

The police said they did not suspect foul play. Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the office of the city’s chief medical examiner, Dr. Charles S. Hirsch, said that employees of the office were at the apartment and that an autopsy would be conducted on Wednesday. Around 6:30 p.m., city workers rolled Mr. Ledger’s body, which was in a black body bag on a stretcher, out of the building.

Paul J. Browne, the Police Department’s deputy commissioner for public information, initially said that the apartment was owned by the actress Mary-Kate Olsen, but later reversed himself and said that was not the case.

A representative of Ms. Olsen said that the apartment did not belong to the actress. “It is not her apartment,” the representative, Annette Wolf, a publicist for Ms. Olsen, said in a phone interview. “She does not own the apartment. She has never owned the apartment. She and her sister have an apartment in New York City but they are not in this building.”

Heathcliff Andrew Ledger was born April 4, 1979 to Sally Ledger, a French teacher, and Kim Ledger, an engineer. Named after the main characters of Emily Brontë’s “Wuthering Heights.” He and his older sister, Katherine, grew up in Perth, Australia; his parents were divorced when he was about 10. As a student, he joined a local theater company and appeared in a production of “Peter Pan,” which led to his being cast in children’s television programs.

Mr. Ledger’s first Hollywood film was the teenage romantic comedy “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999). He later appeared in romantic-hero roles in films like “A Knight’s Tale” (2001) and “Casanova” (2005).

But the role for which Mr. Ledger was probably best known by American audiences was in “Brokeback Mountain” (2005). The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.” Mr. Ledger was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor in January 2006.

Mr. Ledger met the actress Michelle Williams while filming ‘’Brokeback Mountain.” The two actors fell into a romance and moved to Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, where their comings and goings were widely noted by the celebrity press. They had a daughter, Matilda Rose, who was born on Oct. 28, 2005. The couple separated last year.

In an interview in London for an article published in November, Mr. Ledger told The New York Times, ‘’I feel like I’m wasting time if I repeat myself.” He said in the interview that he was not proud of his latest role, in Todd Haynes’s “I’m Not There,” in which Mr. Ledger was one of a half-dozen actors depicting the musician Bob Dylan. ‘’I feel the same way about everything I do. The day I say, ‘It’s good’ is the day I should start doing something else,” he said in the interview.

Mr. Ledger had been cast as The Joker in the latest Batman installment, “The Dark Knight,” set to be released this summer.
    Discuss this story in the MiceChat Entertainment Lounge: http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ead-88343.html
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 01-22-2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: updated quoted article

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Heath Ledger, 28, Is Found Dead

Heath Ledger was a brilliant and talented actor, he will be missed by his family and friends, his fans and everybody who came to know him in the industry alike.

R.I.P.

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Wow.....how sad.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• Minion

ORDDU: I was SO looking forward to conjuring up more of his future films to be inside the crystal ball. Now that won't be possible. It's a sad day here in Morva...

This is extremely sad. He is in the new Batman movie. It's a shame that one so young died that way. It's sadder that it's so common.
    No sweat, no sweet.- British Proverb

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

I read more from LA Times and MSNBC, and they are reporting that they found bottles of pills surrounding him. It was possible it was a drug overdose. This is really sad, because I looked forward to seeing him in "The Dark Knight."

• HersHbe Productions©

<<Ledger was born in 1979 in Perth, in western Australia, to a mining engineer and a French teacher, and got his first acting role playing Peter Pan at age 10 at a local theater company. He began acting in independent films as a 16-year-old in Sydney and played a cyclist hoping to land a spot on an Olympic team in a 1996 television show, "Seat.>>

He was turning out to be my favorite actor. The preparation he took in all his roles was magnificent. I believe he was destined for Oscar Gold. Just take a look at what he achieved in Brokeback Mountain, Candy, and the upcoming The Dark Knight.

Heath Ledger will be sorely missed in the cinema. It was said in an interview, "Heath locked himself in a Manhattan Hotel room for 6 weeks to prepare for the Joker." His imaginative approach to film roles were refreshing in a time where actors play it safe.

Thank you for reading. Please say a prayer for his little girl and family.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRockr View Post
    I read more from LA Times and MSNBC, and they are reporting that they found bottles of pills surrounding him. It was possible it was a drug overdose. This is really sad, because I looked forward to seeing him in "The Dark Knight."
    He finished shooting "Dark Knight" and will still be starring in it, posthumously.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Very sad news. Never like to learn of ones death, but especially of someone so young......

this is sad. supposedly they found sleeping pills. I hate to hear something like that. Makes you wonder if all he wanted was to finally get a some very needed long sleep and instead ended up killing himself.

sad sad news. This is the second young actor that died that i will really miss. The first being River Phoenix.

• Minion

Blog Entries

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ead-88343.html

this one took off faster, just linking you...

• Making my own Mousekteers

Even though they found sleeping pills I don't think it was an on purpose. He did an interview with Tom O'Neil from Gold Derby last month and he said that his constant travels were causeing him severe problems with sleeping. He said that he had to up the dosage even on his perscriptions just to sleep. This was totally shocking. I'm so sad for his friends, family and especially his little girl.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by krystledm View Post
    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showt...ead-88343.html

this one took off faster, just linking you...
    Yes, we know (which is why it was linked in the first post). This was linked as a news story, and therefore on the front page of the site since it was a big story.

Heath Ledger will be missed, his talents will live in on in the films he produced. May God bless his daughter as she grows without a father. I did hear that he was struggling with the role of the Joker he was telling his friends supposedly that it was taking over his life. Made him not be able to sleep and took a toll in other ways in his life. That is a little strange.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Accidental Pill Overdose Killed Ledger

(AP) - Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of painkillers, sleeping pills, anti-anxiety medication and other prescription drugs, the New York City medical examiner said Wednesday.

The cause of death was "acute intoxication by the combined effects of oxycodone, hydrocodone, diazepam, temazepam, alprazolam and doxylamine," spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said in a statement.

The drugs are the generic names for the painkiller OxyContin, the anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax, and the sleep aids Restoril and Unisom. Hydrocodone is a prescription painkiller.

Borakove wouldn't say what concentrations of each drug were found in Ledger's blood, or whether one drug played a greater part than another in causing his death. "What you're looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together," she said....

article continues at:
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast