• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

'Toy Story' gets 3-D makeover

'Toy Story' gets 3-D makeover

Disney to re-release Pixar franchise

By Marc Graser
    Variety
    January 24, 2008

The Mouse House is giving Pixar’s “Toy Story” franchise the 3-D treatment.

Studio will re-release “Toy Story” in 3-D on Oct. 2, 2009., while its sequel will bow in the format on Feb. 12, 2010.

The two pics will lead up to the newest entry “Toy Story 3,” which is set for June 18, 2010, and will also be shown in 3-D. Lee Unkrich (co-director of “Toy Story 2”) is helming.

Move is part of the Mouse’s aggressive plans to release more of its animated, stop-motion or performance capture pics in the 3-D format. “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Chicken Little,” “Meet the Robinsons” were given the 3-D treatment, while its upcoming “Frankenweenie” from Tim Burton, “Bolt” and “A Christmas Carol” will also be shown in the format.

Studio said John Lasseter, who directed the first two “Toy Story” pics, and serves as chief creative officer for Disney and Pixar Animation Studios, will oversee the creative side of the 3-D conversions for “Toy Story” and “Toy Story 2.”
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• Yo!

Re: 'Toy Story' gets 3-D makeover

"A Christmas Carol"???? This is the first time I've heard that mentioned.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    "A Christmas Carol"???? This is the first time I've heard that mentioned.
    Yeah, it's that one directed by Robert "Where has all my talent gone?" Zemeckis. It's gonna be that stupid Motion Capture that he seems to be the only real fan of (I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate that process).

As for the 3D Toy Story films, all great news, just one problem. It's in Digital 3D and not IMAX 3D (at least not yet). Cause that really sucks, since Cineplex (which owns a total monopoly on movie theatres here in Canada), doesn't have or plan to add Digital to any theatres here on the west coast (even though they just opened a big new theatre in Ontario that has 9 of its 12 screen being digital). But hopefully, another Disney movie, that 3D Hannah Montana concert thing, will help them get the idea of bringing digital out west, since they have been advertising it like mad at the local theatre with trailers and such that direct you to their website for advance tickets, which tells you that it's only in Ontario and Montreal. So, hopefully some of these parents get angry and sue them. I at least noticed that last week when I was there, not one mention of the film, but yet two weeks earlier it was like every five minutes they had a trailer for it during the pre-show powerpoint thing.

So, hopefully I can see it, hopefully I'll move somewhere soon where there isn't a total monopoly on my film going choices with theatres that actually care about customers and not seeing how many people they can have pack in at one time.

• Producer Extraordinaire

frankenweenie!?

they sweep it under the rug for almost 25 years, now they're giving it the deluxe disney digital 3d treatment.

well, better late than never.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

This is what Dark Horizions is saying about it:

The Walt Disney Studios plans to debut new Disney Digital 3-D(TM) versions of Disney- Pixar's "Toy Story" on October 2nd, 2009, and "Toy Story 2" on February 12th, 2010, it was announced by Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios.

Both of these beloved animated features are being newly converted to 3-D in advance of the June 18th, 2010 release of Disney-Pixar's "Toy Story 3," which is being produced as a 3-D motion picture and will represent the state-of-the-art for the genre. Veteran Pixar filmmaker Lee Unkrich (co-director "Toy Story 2") is directing.

Academy Award®-winning filmmaker John Lasseter will personally oversee the creative side of the 3-D conversions for "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" with his acclaimed team of technical wizards handling all the necessary steps in the conversion process.

In converting "Toy Story" and "Toy Story 2" to state-of-the-art 3-D films, the technical team is retrieving all of the original digital elements and rebuilding them in 3-D.

I figured once the did Nightmare Before Christmas, they were going to be doing it to a few others.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

Wasn't Tim Burton's new Alice film suppose to be in Disney Digital 3-D as well? Plus how about Tron in 3-D? lol
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey joe View Post
    Wasn't Tim Burton's new Alice film suppose to be in Disney Digital 3-D as well?
    Burton, Disney team on 3D films

Director pairs with studio on duo

BY Marc Graser
    Variety
    November 15, 2007

Tim Burton is pairing up with Disney to direct two 3-D pics, "Alice in Wonderland" and "Frankenweenie."

Two-movie deal with Walt Disney Studios begins with "Alice in Wonderland," which will combine performance-capture imagery, currently seen in "Beowulf" with live-action footage.
    After "Alice," Burton will helm and produce "Frankenweenie," based on his 1984 short film about a pet dog brought back to life by his loyal owner. Pic will be shot in stop-motion animation and shown in digital 3-D.
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Incredible View Post
    Yeah, it's that one directed by Robert "Where has all my talent gone?" Zemeckis. It's gonna be that stupid Motion Capture that he seems to be the only real fan of (I can't even begin to tell you how much I hate that process).
    Is that the one in which Jim Carrey is "playing" all the characters?
    I hate that process, too. Especially for movies that don't need it. I can understand if you're trying to make amorphous space aliens, but a conductor on a train doesn't need to be motion-captured.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by dpdilla View Post
    frankenweenie!?

they sweep it under the rug for almost 25 years, now they're giving it the deluxe disney digital 3d treatment.

well, better late than never.
    They aren't referring to the Tim Burton short film (which is a bonus feature on the Nightmare Before Christmas DVD we have). He is giving it the full feature treatment. Can't wait.

Thats cool. I think 3-d is really making a comeback. I really enjoyed Beowulf in 3D and TBNBC.