Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• out & about

"Sahara 2" Breck Eisner to Follow in Fathers Footsteps by Making Bad Sequels...

Breck Eisner is hoping to make a sequal to themoney losing "Sahara". The original picture cost $130 million to make and took in a world wide total of only $119 million. according to comingsoon.net Breck is excited about making a sequal (based on how well DVD sells go of the original).

I have to ask... Who thinks that is a good idea? Are we making movies for the sake of making movies? or do we want them to be quality? I have a hard time believing in a young director whos dad ruined almost everything sacred about the most virginal brand in hollywood!!!
    Last edited by WRDup; 08-01-2005 at 02:55 PM.
    "There's no off position on the genius switch"

WplusK.com
    http://twitter.com/WRDinc

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries

Re: "Sahara 2" Breck Eisner to Follow in Fathers Footsteps by Making Bad Sequels...

While I find it ironic about his parentage, I think it has nothing to do with a sequel getting made. The movie was universally panned and the author (Clive Cussler) wanted NOTHING to do with the film. I am beyond confused as to why this film has any sort of sequel potential and would be shocked if such a film was greenlighted.

He can wish all he wants, but nothing will make it happen if he can't find someone to pay for it. Unless he asks daddy nicely to borrow a couple hundred million and see if he can finance, market, and distribute himself. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Re: "Sahara 2" Breck Eisner to Follow in Fathers Footsteps by Making Bad Sequels...

Sahara got made because Matthew McConaughey's production company got the film made (he co-starred in How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, a hit for Paramount). The studio is now run by different management w/ different vision - they'll stay in biz w/ Matthew, Breck might need to move on to his next project...

• And they call me Mad!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WRDest79
    Breck Eisner is hoping to make a sequal to themoney losing "Sahara". The original picture cost $130 million to make and took in a world wide total of only $119 million. according to comingsoon.net Breck is excited about making a sequal (based on how well DVD sells go of the original).

I have to ask... Who thinks that is a good idea? Are we making movies for the sake of making movies? or do we want them to be quality? I have a hard time believing in a young director whos dad ruined almost everything sacred about the most virginal brand in hollywood!!!
    I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
    What an idiot....

Yeah, I do that Twitter thing.

• Adventurer

One can't really say Eisner wants to make a "Sahara 2", rather he wants to make more Dirk Pitt novels into movies.
    I'm uneasy about that, Sahara was a decent movie and a good attempt at making a very complicated novel into a feature length film. However, I think that if they are to continue making Dirk Pitt movies they need to follow the storylines of the novels more closely instead of taking huge "side roads" with the story.

Dirk Pitt can work successfully on the big screen, but it needs to have Cussler's involvement from start-to-finish. I think the reason why Sahara failed was because they cut Cussler out of the loop...which is why he is suing them.
    The One, the Only, the Original:
    Dr. Indiana Jones

PHP Code:
    Sahara was a decent movie and a good attempt at making a very complicated novel into a feature length film 
    Just exactly how drunk were you when you watched it?

Sahara is an abomination of Biblical, YEA, I say BIBLICAL proportions.

None of the characters in this abortion of a misbegotten pukestain, not a one, resembled by so much as a single thread of logic, the characters from the novel that they allegedly "adapt." The most infuriating example? The utter degradation of Al Giordino from the excessively competent wiseacre Navy SEAL who can always manage to pull Dirk's *** out of the fire no matter how high Dirk piles the fuel to a half wit joker who follows Dirk around like a puppt.

The plot? If I start enumerating what's wrong with the plot, I'll have a novel the length of Sahara itself. Suffice it to say that a handful of events that happened in the book did actually happen in the movie, but the relationship that they bore to one another was in no way related to the actual PLOT that Dr. Cussler designed so carefully.

The actual film itself--camera work, sets, costumes, etc? Doesn't even reach the level of pedestrian. Its more like...motorized airport walkway--no effort, prone to unexpected jolts.

You know the sad part? Because this batch of toilet paper halfwits did all this in total breach of their contract, there will never be another chance. Hollywood mucked up Raise the Titanic 20 some years ago, and Cussler swore he'd never let them make another movie he didn't have total approval on. So that's what they promised in order to get the rights. And then they screwed him.

He'll win the suit, get his damages and his film rights to the other two books back, and we'll never see Dirk Pitt--because we didn't see Dirk, not in RTT or in Sahara, just some Hollywood seven times faxed distortion of him--in a movie, because Cussler will never trust any of them again, and I'll be you nobody in his family will either.

• Adventurer

When I watch Sahara I think to myself, this isn't Dirk Pitt, this isn't Dirk Pitt, this isn't Dirk Pitt. When I get that thought into my mind I can enjoy the movie...but only then.
    The One, the Only, the Original:
    Dr. Indiana Jones

• They wanna know, HO!

Eisner Jr. must be clinically insane.
    ...a vaguely celtic music fills the air...

• out & about

You know I never even saw Sahara but apparently people have some pretty strong emotions about it. and whos this dirk pitt fellow?

WplusK.com

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

The VERY Problem with Hollywood today it that is Inbred. "Daddy, I want to make a movie!"

It has nothing to do with talent, and everything to do with connections and relations. Bless the independants.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• out & about

Indy fils are definetly where its at. Even i dont like the movie i cant say it wasnt done with heart and the right intent by someone who really enjoys making movies and wanted to share something with the rest of us. more times than not i feel cheated and ripped off when i leave the theater. sure i generally enjoy movies and am very forgiving when it comes to the quality of the premise of many films (my GF will attest to that. she thinks i like any movie not matter what). my point is i always feel like i got what i payed for when i see an indy film (including Star Wars).

WplusK.com

• out & about

I also agree that there are too many inbred movie makers. sure everyone needs to have a chance and who wouldnt jump at the opportunity to make a movie givent he chance but there needs to be more of a credential than "i want to" to be able to get behind the camera, especially when publically owned comapnies are footin the bill (ie. Disney), my stock price doesnt appreciate it!

WplusK.com

I think Breck could easily become a great action director. Even though I hate what his dad has done at Disney, he must have done something right for his son to turn out normal. Also, do I need to remind you that Sahara was based on a book (that is one in a series) and that Bristol Bay (or whatever the production company is called) has the rights to three of the books- Sahara, Inca Gold and Night Probe. I liked Sahara, and I can't wait to see either Inca Gold or Night Probe as a film.
    Last edited by Mr_Incredible; 08-30-2005 at 02:38 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

I read Sahara several years ago. When I finally saw the film (during our flight home from Amsterdam last week) I had forgotten much of the original novel. I actually found the film fun and enjoyable, although the plot was sometimes hard to follow. Certainly not a classic, but a nice bit of escapist fluff.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hiding from the Sheeple

I am a neighbor to Clive Cussler and I can assure you that he will spend every last penny he has to make sure that future Dirk Pitt movies are not made by the devils offspring. I had posted some time ago about a trip we took with Clive. The entire conversation was about his obvious displeasure with the script and film (this was in December 2003, well before the release of the film). After being burned on two films (Raise the Titanic and Sahara) I would not count on seeing any additional films prior to his death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast