• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Disney to Expand its fantasy lands

The Los Angeles Times had a story today in its financial section about online gaming and just how Disney is seeking to capitalize on this new form entertainment. The article is available to read online, however you do have to be a subscriber to read it. Since many people aren't subscribers though, I've included the text of the article below.

The company and others are pushing heavily into creating virtual worlds for children, eyeing subscriber revenue and brand recognition.

By Dawn C. Chmielewski and Alex Pham, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

January 28, 2008

Walt Disney Co. is no stranger to fantasy worlds, transporting audiences -- whether to a cottage in the woods with a young princess in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" or to the Great Barrier Reef aboard the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage ride at Disneyland.

Now, Disney is spinning its tales in the newest mass medium -- online virtual worlds, where children adopt cartoonish avatars and play games.

Disney and other entertainment companies are rushing to capitalize on the latest Internet phenomenon: the rise of virtual worlds for kids. Online haunts for grown-ups, such as Second Life, grab the attention of corporate marketers. But digital playgrounds for the juice-box set -- such as Disney's Club Penguin and Ganz Inc.'s Webkinz -- are drawing bigger crowds.

As many as 20 million children and teens will visit virtual worlds by 2011, up from 8.2 million in 2007, according to research firm EMarketer Inc.

"You're seeing a more than doubling in projected growth, between 2007 and 2011, in the number of kids and teens visiting these worlds," EMarketer analyst Debra Aho Williamson said. "That's why you're seeing Disney making so many investments. . . . All the major media companies are making virtual worlds a big focus of their activities going forward."

Some parents and advocates worry about the commercial aspects of these sites, which either charge a monthly subscription fee, serve up advertising or both. Several sites, including "Pirates of the Caribbean Online," offer a basic game for free but require payment for more advanced play.

"It's sweet-tasting candy that kids are going to want to have," said Warren Buckleitner, editor of the Children's Technology Review. "Give a free sample. Once you get started, it's hard to stop."

Online games that invite multiple players into virtual worlds have been around for more than a decade. What's new is the increasingly younger audience. Disney's Toontown Online was among the first to target tots, but since then, Mattel Inc.'s BarbieGirls.com, Nickelodeon's Nicktropolis and others have popped up, attracting children as young as 3.

Disney plans to spend $5 million to $10 million apiece to develop as many as 10 virtual worlds built around familiar Disney characters and franchises.

"We're creating virtual theme parks, but much more accessible," said Steve Wadsworth, president of Walt Disney Internet Group. "You don't have to get in a car or a plane."

Worlds of revenue

Disney's acquisition of Club Penguin in August for as much as $700 million accelerated the online strategy. Club Penguin attracted nearly 7.9 million visitors in December, according to ComScore Media Metrix, ranking it second in popularity among children's virtual world sites only to Webkinz.

And unlike social networks for grown-ups, such as Facebook.com, Club Penguin has no trouble finding a business model. For a monthly fee of $5.95, kids can waddle to their hearts delight in the snowy world, play games and earn coins that enable them to buy clothes or furnishings for their igloo. At the time of the acquisition, Disney said Club Penguin had about 700,000 subscribers. That would represent about $50 million in annual revenue.

It is just this kind of lucrative subscription-based revenue stream that is luring investors and developers, said analyst Billy Pidgeon of technology research firm IDC. But what they often underestimate are the costs of keeping these virtual worlds running smoothly. "World of Warcraft," for example, requires more than 1,700 full-time customer service employees to maintain the site.

"People just have unrealistically high expectations for these models and don't consider the expenses of maintaining these games," Pidgeon said.

Paul Yanover, executive vice president of Walt Disney Internet Group, acknowledged that "virtual worlds are more elaborate than running a traditional website." But Disney, he said, because of five years of experience from Disney Toontown Online, also understands "the costs of operation and maintenance" and is assured there are "really healthy businesses in online entertainment for kids and families."

Kids at least appear to have a healthy appetite to play online. Eight-year-old Madison Magursky of Irvine said she plays Club Penguin for 10 minutes every day after school, once she's done her homework. She even asked her mother to subscribe for her.

"I told her I wanted to be a member, because you get to buy fantastic gifts and decorations for your house and stuff," Madison said. "And you can do certain things . . . that other people who aren't a member can't."

"But she said 'no.' "
    Last edited by sir clinksalot; 01-30-2008 at 09:17 AM.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: Disney to Expand its fantasy lands

"It's sweet-tasting candy that kids are going to want to have," said Warren Buckleitner, editor of the Children's Technology Review. "Give a free sample. Once you get started, it's hard to stop."

Online games that invite multiple players into virtual worlds have been around for more than a decade. What's new is the increasingly younger audience. Disney's Toontown Online was among the first to target tots, but since then, Mattel Inc.'s BarbieGirls.com, Nickelodeon's Nicktropolis and others have popped up, attracting children as young as 3.
    this is really emphasizing the addiction aspect of it... once kids outgrow these worlds, they'll be on to WoW and others... I've never had a problem with intensive online communities like WoW, but so far they've been used by adults who are a little more in control of how much time they spend in front of the screen, and who have lives away from their computer. with kids starting so young, i'm afraid they'll be too conditioned to monitor their own use once they're older.

i read in newsweek that they think that this generation of kids who is currently in 6 and 7 and 8 grade are having a harder time with focusing, and have more problems with ADD and hyperactivity. In addition, it's much harder to measure this, but the teachers i've talked to have seen a behavioral change from kids 5 or 6 years ago to these kids, with the younger generation acting more unruly, impatient, entitled, and rude with their teachers. newsweek suggested these problems could be related to these kids being raised on the computer at a younger age, playing games made for young kids, because the medium emphasizes the ultimate in instant gratification.

there's no hard evidence on this stuff yet, i don't think, yet it's been something that's been worrying me for a while, and i don't know what to think of the fact that it's only going to increase exponentially.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• MiceChat News Team
    • Supervillan Extrodinaire

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    this is really emphasizing the addiction aspect of it... once kids outgrow these worlds, they'll be on to WoW and others... I've never had a problem with intensive online communities like WoW, but so far they've been used by adults who are a little more in control of how much time they spend in front of the screen, and who have lives away from their computer. with kids starting so young, i'm afraid they'll be too conditioned to monitor their own use once they're older.
    Then it becomes the responsibility of the parent to teach the child moderation and to monitor how much time the child spends online.
    Growing older is manditory
    Growing up is however, optional

• Head Postmaster of Random

In a lay-z boy licking stamps and slaping minions...

Most research, official research anyhow is showing that children and adults playing online games are exercising much more of their brain than they would watching TV, they are thinking, reacting, and connecting to something either futuristic or fantasy. i think this is a great idea. i personally would like to see what disney makes of it.

This whole subject reminds me of a debate i had years ago with a school project. The subject of online games was often thrown out there as the reason for anti-social behavior, to this i reply that though these people may not be meeting face to face, they're still having conversations, doing activities. Or are normal activities only allowed to be done outside in the wilderness or at a party with people sucumbing to peer pressure and doing things they will ultimately regret later all for the hopes that they may become popular, or gain recognition of some kind? im sorry to sound bitter, but ive had too many people claim that some one is a loser or has problems because they play a game and chat with people rather than go to a party and get drunk...drives me nuts.

people who become addicted to games, have addictive personalities often passed down from parents or grandparents.
    "Permane Ser Sentados Por Favor"
    "Watch out for anything that ssssslliittherzzz"
    "Launch control, LV....Go ahead....All video recorders off."

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    I'm glad that you have an interest concerning postal delivery, mousephreak. We've needed better mail service for some time now. Therefore, with the power vested in me it is of great delight that I dub thee, Head Post Office Dude of Random. Arrise and start licking those stamps! We're backed up, and time is money.
    If you won the lottery what would you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Buy a bunch of monkeys and have them re-enact the Civil War for my amusement.

Then it becomes the responsibility of the parent to teach the child moderation and to monitor how much time the child spends online.
    Absolutely make the parent watch the child, do not make the computer, or tv a babysitter!!

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

She even asked her mother to subscribe for her.

"But she said 'no.'
    note to everyone who worry about the amount of time kids spend on the computer. this is all it takes!!
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION