Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Anaheim Mayor proposes Monorail funding

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Mayor proposes monorail funding

Pringle hopes private funds will pay for futuristic transporation system; listen to audio clip of entire speech.

By SARAH TULLY
    The Orange County Register

Anaheim Since the Disneyland monorail opened in 1959, residents and officials have imagined the possibility of the futuristic transportation mode stretching beyond Disney property.

Today, Mayor Curt Pringle proposed a way to fund such a monorail to connect the tourist area with a planned transportation hub and downtown-like region.

Pringle today gave his sixth State of the City speech to a sold-out crowd at the Grove of Anaheim, outlining his initiatives for the coming year.

A top priority is to seek funding from the private sector to build a monorail system running from the Disneyland area to the proposed Anaheim Regional Transit Intermodal Center east of Angel Stadium in the Platinum Triangle, which the city is trying to turn into an urban village.

Pringle said a monorail would "symbolically and technologically bring Walt Disney's iconic vision of 50 years ago alive today and bring a physical connection to the various destinations in our city."

Last month, the City Council last month approved a proposal to seek Measure M funding from Orange County Transportation Authority for a "fixed guideway system," such as a monorail.

But Pringle said the city is unlikely to get the $250 million needed to construct the roughly three-mile system. So, he is proposing to ask Disney and other Anaheim Resort area businesses to help pay for the system that would serve about 2.6 million people annually.

"We must find funding resources that will bring these big ideas like ARTIC and a monorail connector from dreams to reality," Pringle said.
    The council's proposal states that the monorail would be built starting in six to 10 years.
    http://www.ocregister.com/article/mo...system-anaheim

• Shablagoo!

Re: Anaheim Mayor proposes Monorail funding

Asking Disney to pay for a monorail? We can't even get them to expand the ones they have.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

I think I love Mayor Pringle.

It is a really great idea for the city - make the whole city feel like Disneyland. Tie the two sides of the city (split by the 5 fwy) together. I love it.

I'll be happy to donate $5.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Koubu Pilot

I could go for a can of sour cream and onion Pringles right about now since I've read this thread.

That would be neat if they could get a monorail system. The only thing is even though the Disney monorails (except for Tokyo Disneyland's) are smaller in scale, they usually look a lot better than most public transport system monorails.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I think Disney is best off taking advantage of this situation now, before it's too late and things get out of their control.

For years the voters of Orange County have voted down proposals to increase mass transit and offer alternatives such as light-rail or monorails. The breaking point is coming soon with gas prices and other transportation costs rising, and concerns of protection to the environment. Alternate forms of mass transit will be here before we know it.

It is best for Disney to assist Anaheim in this endeavour so that what comes in is built more or less to Disney's taste, rather than Anaheim putting in something that may not be to Disney's liking.

maybe if disney funds it and has creative control we may see alot more mark VII's and it might turn into what WDW has........wait does that mean I may end up piloting a monorail to angel stadium uh oh...... lol

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I think I love Mayor Pringle.

It is a really great idea for the city - make the whole city feel like Disneyland. Tie the two sides of the city (split by the 5 fwy) together. I love it.

I'll be happy to donate $5.
    Well Pringle got the idea from our thread on Micechat:

This is a great oppurtunity for the Disney company. It will give Anaheim and its people another reason to show that they are willing to invest in the resort.

They would also be able to push for stops not only at disneyland but what eventually would be the third gate.

http://ocresort.freedomblogging.com/...ond-its-parks/

"The monorail would stretch from the Disney area to a planned transportation hub by Angel Stadium. Pringle specifically named Disney as one business that could help foot the bill for the $250 million system.
    Here’s the official statement from the Disneyland Resort about the idea:
    “We are very interested in this transportation vision. We have been working with the City on their master transportation plan and we plan to stay involved on this exciting project. We look forward to learning more, but at this point, it is premature to talk about project specifics.”

I'll happily donate $5.00 to help as well Dusty. Lets get er done!
    Paid Disneyland Poster

• A Weather Eye Open

this is wonderful news that it's even being talked about... exciting!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Rock Star Minion

$250 million?? Seems like a lot. Most of that cost is caused by the stuff that's in the way. Freeway, for example. We've discussed possible routes in the mass transit thread. I would not be surprised if Imagineering has already come up with various routes and designs. Main question is, do you go under or over the freeway? Does the freeway have to be raised? Or, how high over the freeway does the beam have to go?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Who Gave Rob an Avatar?

Yes it is easy for the mayor to get behind a plan for something that will probably never get built, especially if they are looking for Disney to foot the bill. Personally I would rather have Disney use the $250M to build a couple more rides. This is all dependent of course on ARTIC getting built and Anaheim getting a station. Since the chances of ARTIC ever getting built is pretty slim it costs the Mayor nothing to suggest that business pick up the cost since it will never be built. But if five dollars will help I will send it in ASAP.
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerInFL View Post
    Jesus, even I wouldn't eat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Turtle, the dorks are going to take upskirt robot pics.

• Rock Star Minion

I say go for the whole loop:
    ARTIC to John Wayne to South Coast Plaza to Block of Orange to Disneyland to ARTIC.
    Route:
    South on The 57 to The 5 South to The 55 South to John Wayne.
    Then up Bristol to Block of Orange to The 5 North, to Katella West, stop at DTD station, then up to Ball Road, East on Ball to The 57 South.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by mousechild View Post
    Yes it is easy for the mayor to get behind a plan for something that will probably never get built, especially if they are looking for Disney to foot the bill.
    Exactly - this is just a publicity stunt.

'Lets solve world hunger, and I'll like to recommend each of you give $5'.. 'what? what are we giving? nothing... I just had the idea'

Why would businesses give money to a transit system that would let potential customers simply bypass them? Or make it easier to not stay in their hotels.. etc.

Disney has a stake in it - but why would they pay that much for probably so little gain. $300+million is nothing to sneeze at.. and would errode other revenue streams (like Parking).

I call shame on this guy for basically saying 'wouldn't it be great if all of you just paid for public infrastructure yourself?'

Where's the studies? Where's the government backing to use eminent domain to get the land?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast