• Practically Perfect

Question Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray DVD

So I picked up the Aristocats DVD tonight. It's my favorite, so I wanted to see all the extra features and what have you.

Anyways, there's a preview for the release of Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray DVD. The only thing is, the voices sound different, like they've been re-cast. This could just be for the preview, I'm not sure. But has anyone else heard anything about this?

If they re-cast the voice actors I will be SO mad!

Re: Sleeping Beauty Blu-Ray DVD

They would not do that in the oringal movie. Sequels or new animation yes, but not the oringal film.
    Goodbye, Me Bizarro is not Monkey Joe. Me Bizarro hates Disney parks so much. Hello

Disney has been using sound a likes in the video trailers for years. I don't know why, perhaps it's easier to edit and lay different music and such, perhaps it's a contractual issues not wanting to pay the actors for the spots. However the films are rarely affected by this (Fantasia not withstanding)

• Minion

ORWEN: There's only ONE official voice for my favorite Princess Aurora and that's Mary Costa--who has one of the most beautiful singing voice since ME. Anyway, I can't believe they would tamper with the original sound track. If they HAVE, you can bet I'll be working on a potion real fast that will help me cast a spell on whoever was responsible!!!!

• A New Kind Of Villain

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: There's only ONE official voice for my favorite Princess Aurora and that's Mary Costa--who has one of the most beautiful singing voice since ME. Anyway, I can't believe they would tamper with the original sound track. If they HAVE, you can bet I'll be working on a potion real fast that will help me cast a spell on whoever was responsible!!!!
    The current official voice-match for Princess Aurora is Erin Torpey.

Mary Costa's while still alive, has unfortunately retired. Most of the Golden Age Voice Actors have since retired. The only notable exception is Katherine Beaumont who is still voicing Alice and Wendy Darling over 50 years later.

And let me note, she still sounds as wonderful as when she was a girl.
    Julie Rei

"Not everyone can become a great artist, but a great artist can come from anywhere." - Anton Ego (Ratatouille)

"I suppose you have no choice but to revolutionize the world." -Mikage Souji (Revolutionary Girl Utena)

• Circle of Ancients

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuI2TakE84

Is the above the preview you are talking about?

Some of the lines spoken in that preview were not original to the film (and other lines were changed to make them be spoken faster), so they would have to be recast. The voices weren't bad (they weren't great), but the preview was pretty bad. It is nothing like Sleeping Beauty previews used to be. See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaaeQhUnzvQ

Now that is what I call a GREAT trailer, with original voices, and a better voice for the narration.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Foreboding View Post

Now that is what I call a GREAT trailer, with original voices, and a better voice for the narration.
    That's an awesome trailer... except that it shows the ending, and the trailer SAYS that it's the ending lmao... still, it is well done, much better than the Disney Bluray thing.

The other dumb thing with the Sleeping Beauty Bluray trailer is that on Blu-ray discs where it appears, it doesn't look like it's presented in a high-quality/definition format. I hope that they clean it up to really make it shine for the ACTUAL Blu-ray release, because if what was shown in the trailer was the final version (on a bluray disc... I think it's on the bluray for ratatouille or pixar shorts), then it isn't worth picking up in that format if you already own the DVD.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Chernabog View Post
    That's an awesome trailer... except that it shows the ending, and the trailer SAYS that it's the ending lmao...
    Well it's not really a secret...

• Practically Perfect

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afuI2TakE84

Is the above the preview you are talking about?

Some of the lines spoken in that preview were not original to the film (and other lines were changed to make them be spoken faster), so they would have to be recast. The voices weren't bad (they weren't great), but the preview was pretty bad. It is nothing like Sleeping Beauty previews used to be. See below:

Thanks for the links! I agree, the old one is SO much better!

As for the blu-ray thing, makes sense to me. As long as they didn't tamper with with actual film (in a bad way that is) then I'm fine

• Earth Intruder

Well it's not really a secret...
    Hahah I know... it's just funny though when a trailer says "I love happy endings!" and then shows you the ending (even though we all know how it ends).

It'd be like showing the Beast's transformation, or Ariel's wedding, or the Genie shouting "I'm free!"... yeah we know it's coming, but in the trailer?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

That's an awesome trailer... except that it shows the ending, and the trailer SAYS that it's the ending lmao... still, it is well done, much better than the Disney Bluray thing.

The other dumb thing with the Sleeping Beauty Bluray trailer is that on Blu-ray discs where it appears, it doesn't look like it's presented in a high-quality/definition format. I hope that they clean it up to really make it shine for the ACTUAL Blu-ray release, because if what was shown in the trailer was the final version (on a bluray disc... I think it's on the bluray for ratatouille or pixar shorts), then it isn't worth picking up in that format if you already own the DVD.
    I havent' seen the trailer except on YouTube so I can't judge the picture quality, but they did a similar restoration on Sleeping Beauty that they did on Snow White, Bambi, etc. Essentially scanning every frame into the computer and cleaning it up, digitally recoloring, etc. This process was probably done in at least 2k resolution (probably 4k) - and likely will be the last time this film gets restored (IMHO) since 4K is the point that studios have determined digital is as good as film. Im sure the 1080p master on a BluRay will look better than the Special Edition DVD, which I thought looked great, just interms of higher resolution, less compression, better color depth. The last DVD also probably had its potential PQ diminished because they put both the full frame and cinemascope versions on the disc.

Money is tight for me now, and I already own every Disney animated title on SD DVD. Other than ones that were not released in their OAR in Anamorphic Widescreen, and ones that really had bad transfers (mostly just Beauty & The Beast) I will probably not be upgrading most of my titles to BluRay, at least not for the forseeable future. I hate to say SD is "good enough" for me, but they have all looked at least "really good" to "Great" on my 120" projection screen, so I have no complaints. And unlike VHS, these discs should hold up on my shelf Plus when I have kids, SD DVDs are easier to load onto some kind of player on a computer so they dont' have to get t heir grimy fingers on my cartoons damnit!

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo1384 View Post
    Thanks for the links! I agree, the old one is SO much better!

As for the blu-ray thing, makes sense to me. As long as they didn't tamper with with actual film (in a bad way that is) then I'm fine
    Aside from issues about framing, I heard no complaints about SB being "tampered with" before, so I don't forsee any troubles with this edition.

Just ordered my Sharp Aquos BluRay player --hopefully I'll be getting it soon! I think the only Disney titles I don't own yet that are out on BluRay are Meet the Robinsons and the Pixar Shorts Collection, so one of those might be my fird BluRay title.I wished I had had it in time for Ratatouille Oh well-- that DVD looks great anyway!

Yeah, that new trailer was pretty bad. The old one was quite nice. It looks like they're still advertising the 90's restoration as if it were just for this release (unless there's been a new one I've not heard of). That's sort of misleading advertising, and it's the second time they've done it.

I have the widescreen VHS (one of the prides of my collection), and rented the DVD back in the day. The extras were nice, but not worth rebuying (something I rarely do). If this release has them as well, I'll probably pick it up for whenever I get HD. It would be worth rebuying (I could easily see this being y first Blu-Ray disc). Assuming, of course, that the original stereo is included. 7.1 is great and all, but I only want to watch it as intended.

• Mr. Faranheit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Roman View Post
    Just ordered my Sharp Aquos BluRay player --hopefully I'll be getting it soon!
    Make sure the Sharp is a Profile 1.1 player. Otherwise there are going to be some special features that you aren't going to have access to.
    Be controversial

Be outspoken

Be outrageous

Just don't be boring

• Minion

ORWEN: The most important thing I don't understand is why they're releasing SLEEPING BEAUTY in 2008 instead of 2009. I mean, 2009 is when she turns 50. I had heard they were originally going to wait and do some sort of 50th Anniversary for the movie in 2009 before they went and changed their minds and decided on 2008, instead. I had also heard that Disneyland had been considering a Sleeping Beauty Stage show for Aurora's 50th--before the Princess Fantasy Faire came along and destroyed the chances for that. So, what's going to happen in 2009 when Aurora turns 50?

ORGOCH: Hmph! If'n she's lucky an' Prince Filler-up can afford it, maybe he'll pitch in fer Snoozin' Floozie ta have face lift!

• Huh?

There's been some discussion on this on other forums...

From what it sounds like, at the point when the trailer was made, very little of the 1080p transfer was finished, so most of it is most likely just from the last DVD release. And exception might be the scene that shows the old vs. Blu-Ray comparison.

And quasi... you should have nothing to worry about. Go look at some of the park videos sometime -- you'll hear some really bad voice actors reciting the lines of original attraction audio. And in some cases, it won't even be footage from the right park (they like to throw in Phantom Manor footage in WDW and DL Haunted Mansion segments).
    -Tim