Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: 'Idol' Attraction to Open at Disney's Hollywood Studios

You know i was doing more thinking about this attraction..

it's a HORRIBLE idea. Sure, with a ton of viewers it seems like it would be most promising wouldn't it?

But American Idol gains viewers from a) the awful awful singers with rude judges and then eventually b) people genuinely care about who wins.

In this attraction, we get to see who: goes to the front of the line of an audition.

Uh, am I missing something? How is this BETTER than what we already get for free on television? (and even when it was free i didn't want it).

The concept: people audition behind the scenes to disney people to then try and make it into the live show. Those who get in, are primped up and glamorized back stage before they sing in front of the live audience.

Three Audience judges are chosen, but really can't do anything but give GOOD feedback because the initial weeding out of the bad singers was already done before hand! The audience members actually vote on who they want to move on.

So all this is is a show with guests who are decent enough singers that *might* make it to a REAL audition only to be turned down there... or moved on. Only we have no investment in who these people are!

And since the real American Idol is between 16-28 years of age, those 14 year olds who get through won't be able to audition for another 2 years!

Lastly from reading all the articles online, this is really about Jay Rasulo selling cheap merchandise.... for a show on FOX. This is a move that sounds like Universal would be all for, not Disney.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Goofy

people can be sheeps for falling for things like this one.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I just want to know how much this license cost. And who is WATCHING these shows? And will the judges be like Simon? How about if they use Disney Characters?

Host: And let's go to the judges. Maleficent?

Maleficent: It was a nightmare. I felt like I was trapped in a theme park listening to drunk people audition all day.........
    Oh wait...

Hmmmm....I may just have to photoshop this....
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 02-08-2008 at 08:55 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I was thinking something along these lines...

• Goofy

hhahaha that is perfect for simon not randy lol.

• ...TWO BITS!

I was hoping this was all a joke as well. It's just an overblown expensive useless pointless karoke contest.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlSparrow13 View Post
    ...auditions do not belong in a Disney park. I've done lots of theatre, and when you do bad at an audition, you're depressed for the next few days, especially with singing. Does Disney want unhappy guests? What about the teenagers who think they can sing, but find out FROM DISNEY they can't? Bad show, bad show!
    People can sing, dance, and act for Disney auditions to get a real career. The "unhappy" guests would be a major factor for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    But American Idol gains viewers from a) the awful awful singers with rude judges and then eventually b) people genuinely care about who wins.

Lastly from reading all the articles online, this is really about Jay Rasulo selling cheap merchandise.... for a show on FOX. This is a move that sounds like Universal would be all for, not Disney.
    You are correct in that the ratings are only the highest for the audition episodes, they take a major slump in the middle until the final episodes start to air... and those are only usually the 2nd highest in that show's ratings. I only watch the audition episodes to be honest. I don't even watch the season finales.

I would have bet a $1 million Universal would pick up on this. This really doesn't seem like a "Disney" offering. "Millionaire" is still more like a Disney offering than "American Idol".

Is Jay's angle: "Live your dreams to be an American Idol!"??? And is this his latest attempt to be "hip and edgy"??? Yuck.

Now we know what those employees were measuring the theater for... sigh.

Oh, AND DON'T BRING THIS TO DCA!!! Don't even think about it.

Happy 7th Birthday, DCA! You'll grow out of it

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Banned User

Ugh.

• The one, the only...

Jay Rasulo has lost it...
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by JiminyCricketFan View Post
    Jay Rasulo has lost it...
    He never had it.

• Know More Than You Should

Well- not being a fan of American Idol myself, I still can't see the downside here. American Idol is a popular brand still. Disney's Hollywood Studios could use some attractions based on more current properties (besides the Narnia exhibit and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage).

And yes, it could be argued, it's just the same as watching the show. But Millionaire worked, didn't it, and was popular even once the show had lost a lot of it's popularity?

And even if you disagree with the arguments above, there's still no downside. Idol is replacing an empty building here folks. We're not losing any attractions or shows and in fact we're gaining one where before we had an empty and stagnant ABC theater.

Will it be a classic? No. But it should be plenty entertaining for guests, serve to bring DHS a bit further into the 21st century property-wise, and will serve to add to DHS' list of attractions.

• Merry 2014!

It will probably be very popular for a while. Then people will realize it is only upgraded karaoke and just like Millionaire it will fizzle out. Imho, it's a half baked idea to temporarily fill dead space, give customers the illusion of an attraction and will use up a lot of money not to mention more CM's. Another fine idea from the creative genius of Jay Rasulo.
    Sig by Poisonedapples!

• Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Eggz View Post
    He never had it.

ohhhhh. lol.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Club 33 View Post
    Well- not being a fan of American Idol myself, I still can't see the downside here. American Idol is a popular brand still. Disney's Hollywood Studios could use some attractions based on more current properties (besides the Narnia exhibit and Playhouse Disney Live on Stage).

And yes, it could be argued, it's just the same as watching the show. But Millionaire worked, didn't it, and was popular even once the show had lost a lot of it's popularity?

And even if you disagree with the arguments above, there's still no downside. Idol is replacing an empty building here folks. We're not losing any attractions or shows and in fact we're gaining one where before we had an empty and stagnant ABC theater.

Will it be a classic? No. But it should be plenty entertaining for guests, serve to bring DHS a bit further into the 21st century property-wise, and will serve to add to DHS' list of attractions.

While you make a good argument that there's no REAL downside to putting a new attraction into an empty location, one could also argue that they'd much rather Disney be a tad more creative and put something GOOD in that location.... even if it meant waiting until 2009 or 2010.

I just don't think that the guests have a solid motivating factor to even sit and watch because there will be no payoff for anyone except those who make it through the auditions.

This is NOTHING like Millionaire, folks.

Who Wants to be a Millionaire was an open opportunity to anyone with trigger happy fingers and the right answers. There was a certain level of uncertainty to it that made it more interesting. "Maybe I get into the hot seat this time... maybe I don't?" And of course a trip to New York is certainly a much better potential prize than a fast pass to an audition. And even if you don't win the trip, you get a lanyard with pins as a consolation prize.

Even if you weren't in the hot seat for 'Millionaire', you could play along in your chair just for kicks.

This Idol show is absolutely just a marketing ploy to sell shoddy merchandise. It's in the interview with Rasulo! It's almost as if he's proud of that fact.

Maybe this will be popular... I have a feeling that it won't be popular enough.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

You'd have thought Disney would have learned that adapting popular game shows to the theme park setting isn't a brilliant move.

Who Want to be a Millionaire - Play It! lasted less than three years at DCA and about 5 years at MGM and the attraction at both parks suffered low numbers for quite a while at the end of their lives. These sorts of attractions don't seem conducive to long-term marketability and don't seem to keep the park-going public's attention for very long.

Seems like a lot of money for something that might have been an interesting idea six years ago, but isn't worth the effort anymore.

And isn't a lot of the appeal in Idol in the brutal comments from Simon and the wacky antics of Paula? We surely aren't going to get that in the park!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12