Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Will Disney Keep Us Amused? - New York Times, 2/10/08 (Toy Story Mania! article)

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/10/bu...ia/10ride.html

A very good, detailed article with lots of photo and video dealing with the construction of Toy Story Mania!

MiceAge is mentioned at the end of the article.

Among Disneyphiles, at least, the wait for Toy Story Mania to open is unbearable. Blogs like Blue Sky Disney and Mice Age, which are not affiliated with the company, have been chronicling minute details of the construction. (“The first ride vehicles have just arrived in California from their production facility in Osaka, Japan!”)

Al Lutz, the publisher of Mice Age and a critic of what he calls California Adventure’s “cheap strip-mall stucco” aesthetic, says fans are keen to see the ride’s over-the-top details. Disney is, after all, a company that studied how the sun struck the earth differently in various locations to determine the color of paint to use on the fairy-tale castle at the center of each resort.

“Young people are going to be fighting to be first in line,” he said.
    Much more at the link
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

Re: Will Disney Keep Us Amused? - New York Times, 2/10/08 (Toy Story Mania! article)

A good article. It seems that Toy Story Mania will be an excellent attraction. Hopefully we will see this attraction at DLRP too.

• Hall Of Promise

Re: Will Disney Keep Us Amused? - New York Times, 2/10/08 (Toy Story Mania! article)

It appears from the article that Disney is choosing its cards wisely while putting in a hefty bet. It's good to see lots of dedication from many divisions within the company, and noting that times are changing and they need to continue keeping up.

The time-lapse video within the article is pretty neat as well.

I also wanted to add that this is the first I've heard of the official story: The toys coming to life and creating a carnival of fun-house games under the bed. So in a way the whole ride is roaming throw a fair of midway games and tricks. There is a more story than I originally imagined.
    Last edited by MagicWDI; 02-09-2008 at 01:45 PM.

• Senior Minion

It is indeed a very good, interesting, and entertaining article, and if that level of innovention and attention to detail is carried throughout the rest of the park, there may be hope for DCA yet.

It's also nice to see Al slowly becoming a media start in his own right!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MagicWDI View Post
    ...The time-lapse video within the article is pretty neat as well...
    Thanks for pointing that out.

Nice info.

I didn't know that the ride was going to be changed for the seasons. I can't wait to see Christmas and/or Halloween versions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Notice, the blocks in the video spell out "FUN HOUSE"

And of course, mention has to be made of the erroneous
    declaration of Universal building a Harry Potter theme park.

Universal is teaming up with Warner Brothers to bring a small
    Harry Potter-theme park to Florida in late 2009
    As most everyone already knows, Harry Potter is just being
    added to a porion of Islands of Adventure. It is NOT an
    ENTIRE new theme park.

Wow...that Potato Head AA is HUGE!...and sounds awesome...

...is it June yet?

It makes it sound like the renovation for DCA is pretty good and will help the park a lot. I saw this article in the NY Times this morning so it was pretty interesting to be able to scan through it. I think that they'll see how successful the ride is at DCA and DHS and if it is good there, we could see it coming to Disney Studios and who knows, they might use one of the dark ride slots in Fantasyland in HKDL (I've heard crazier things...) even though it doesn't exactly fit the Fantasyland theme, does Matterhorn, did 20,000 Leauges Under the Sea?

- Zach

• A Weather Eye Open

This is a great article. But for some reason (even though I knew it was going to be 3-D carnival games) I didn't realize that this ride would rely so much on video screens.

One of Mr. Lasseter’s major concerns about Toy Story Mania centered on the animation, various developers said. Disney had hired an outside contractor to handle it, but Mr. Lasseter insisted that Pixar staff members who were involved in creating the films should also work on the ride.
    Thank goodness. Someone other than Pixar animating Pixar characters and props? Bad idea!

To entertain people as they waited in line, the developers decided to place one of Disney’s signature animatronic figures outside. It would draw attention like a carnival barker, but also be sophisticated enough to interact one on one with guests, adding another element of customization.Only one “Toy Story” figure was considered for the role: Mr. Potato Head.
    WORK on Mr. Potato Head started last year in a heavily guarded Disney research plant a few miles from the company’s headquarters in Burbank, Calif. Developers had to make a five-foot-tall plastic potato sing, dance and seemingly hold conversations with people at random. The robot also had to be able to remove his ear and put it back on.
    Mr. Potato Head — with help from a dozen video cameras, several computers, an unseen ride operator and a $1 million budget — will be able to make his mouth form words, a first for Disney animatronics.
    VERY cool! How heavily guarded is this research plant? I hope they make more AAs like this in the future. Development of realistic and spectacular AAs for entertainment purposes will really continue to fascinate park-goers of all ages...

Models are built on large tables equipped with wheels. The company keeps room-size models of entire parks, and engineers will eventually wheel the new model into that area to see how it looks.
    OMG room sized models of the theme parks? I'm there!
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Notice, the blocks in the video spell out "FUN HOUSE"

And of course, mention has to be made of the erroneous
    declaration of Universal building a Harry Potter theme park.

As most everyone already knows, Harry Potter is just being
    added to a porion of Islands of Adventure. It is NOT an
    ENTIRE new theme park.
    A lot of my friends get very excited when they hear about the HP "theme park", and I have the sad task of disillusioning them.

• dream out loud

I'm sure this will be a great ride, but one question stays in the back of my mind - why does Toy Story get two rides when there are still a number of great Disney movies that are yet to be developed into rides? I look forward to the Little Mermaid and Cars attractions, but can you name another movie that has TWO rides between Disneyland and DCA? (other than POTC and Pirates Lair...) Buzz Lightyear has to be one of my absolute favorites but I hope they both will be equally popular and not hurt one another...I mean, if you've gone on the "Toy Story" ride at DL, why would you go to the "Toy Story" ride at DCA? Do you see where I'm going with this?

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by airick75 View Post
    I'm sure this will be a great ride, but one question stays in the back of my mind - why does Toy Story get two rides when there are still a number of great Disney movies that are yet to be developed into rides? I look forward to the Little Mermaid and Cars attractions, but can you name another movie that has TWO rides between Disneyland and DCA? (other than POTC and Pirates Lair...) Buzz Lightyear has to be one of my absolute favorites but I hope they both will be equally popular and not hurt one another...I mean, if you've gone on the "Toy Story" ride at DL, why would you go to the "Toy Story" ride at DCA? Do you see where I'm going with this?
    Alice has the teacups and a dark ride. But they're two completely different rides, whereas these will both be shooter games. I just hope they're done pushing the Toy Story on us after this. This ride sounds great, but it was never my favorite movie.

Also, the new plans for Cars Land include plans for 3 separate rides based on Cars... it's not unprecedented, however, as there are several rides based on A Bug's Life in A Bug's Land and Flik's Fun Fair (Pixar rides getting a whole land to themselves seems to be a trend?)

This attraction is a creative mistake, precisely because of "Toy Story."

Great article and it actually makes me FAR more excited for the ride and the thinking behind the ride.

That said I think it also made me realize why this doesn't strike me as an exciting "E" Ticket ride. All my fave Disney rides (theme park rides in general) that really feel like major rides, are kinda adventures--they take you on some sort of journey. this... doesn't. And doesn't particularly interest me--but I've enver liked those kinda games anyway so am prob not the intended target...

E

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast