• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney film poster creator John Alvin dies

John Alvin, 59; created movie posters for such films as 'Blazing Saddles' and 'E.T.'

By Jocelyn Stewart
    Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
    February 10, 2008

John Alvin, who carved a niche for himself in Hollywood as the creator of evocative movie posters that drew generations of viewers into theaters to see films such as "Blazing Saddles," "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial" and "Beauty and the Beast," died of a heart attack Wednesday at his home in Rhinebeck, N.Y. He was 59.

In the 1970s when Alvin began his career in cinematic art, the movie poster or "key art" was still the preeminent means of advertising new films. The art appeared on billboards and in newspapers, doing the work now done primarily by movie trailers and television ads.

Alvin's goal was to design posters that "created the promise of a great experience," he once said. Although the poster was based on the movie, it was an entity unto itself, so alluring you had to pay attention -- and head to a theater.

The movie poster became an enduring image and could play a key role in the success of a film, said John Sabel, executive vice president of creative print advertising at Walt Disney Pictures. On more than 100 films, Alvin was the architect of the image.

"There was a reason why 'The Lion King' did the numbers that it did," Sabel said Friday. "There was a reason why 'Hunchback [of Notre Dame]' became a big success. It's because of the images that were produced, and a lot of those were John Alvin's paintings."
    The work Alvin created was so distinctive it gave birth to an adjective, "Alvinesque," said his longtime friend and colleague Federico Tio, with whom Alvin worked on such Disney films as "Beauty and the Beast."

"John always brought this magical, almost romantic quality to his work," Tio said. "His sense of light and capturing a moment was spectacular. . . . Not only was he a great illustrator, he was a great thinker. He was so passionate about his craft."

Alvin contributed design ideas for the recent Disney movie "Enchanted." But with increased use of other forms of advertising, the movie poster has diminished in importance. In recent years Alvin began to focus more on fine art, creating art about the movies rather than advertising.
    http://www.latimes.com/
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-10-2008 at 09:49 AM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Re: Disney film poster creator John Alvin dies

John Alvin, Designer of Memorable Film Posters,
    Is Dead at 59

By Dennis Hevesi
    The New York Times
    Published: February 11, 2008

John Alvin, who created memorable images for movie posters, billboards and advertisements, including the two fingers touching above the Earth’s surface for “E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial,” died on Wednesday at his home in Rhinebeck, N.Y. He was 59.

PRNewsFoto/Linda Jones Enterprises
    John Alvin.

Mr. Alvin designed the poster for the 1974 movie “Blazing Saddles,” above.

The cause was a heart attack, his daughter, Farah Alvin, said.
    Mr. Alvin painted striking images for more than 135 films in a 35-year career, working on projects for directors like Steven Spielberg, George Lucas, Blake Edwards, Mel Brooks and Ridley Scott.

“He captured the heart of whatever the assignment was,” Federico Tio, executive vice president of marketing for Walt Disney Studios from 1990 to 2005, said in an interview on Friday. “John became synonymous with almost all of the recent posters for Disney” — for films including "Beauty and the Beast," "Aladdin," "The Little Mermaid" and rereleases of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and "Pinocchio."

“We actually started using him as an adjective,” Mr. Tio said. “We called his work Alvinized.”

For the 1974 horror spoof "Young Frankenstein," Mr. Alvin painted looming stonelike title letters rising from a castle that is superimposed over a full moon, with a crazed Gene Wilder and Peter Boyle as the Frankenstein monster tipping his top hat. For "Blade Runner" in 1982, he used a large composite of Harrison Ford's face over a futuristic city. His 1994 poster for "The Lion King" shows animals of many kinds surrounding a rock to view the newborn monarch.

More recently Mr. Alvin painted posters for the "Star Wars," "Harry Potter," “Lord of the Rings” and “Pirates of the Caribbean” series.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/11/mo...es&oref=slogin

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

John Alvin is also very well known in the Star Wars art collector community and helped revitalize Star Wars during a time when not much was going on.

Here are some of my favorites of his work:

ok well i can't find all the ones I'm looking for. He will be missed.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

In the mid-90's, Alvin produced a limited edition print for readers of Disney News magazine . . .

Beauty and the Beast in the Rose Window

He was a very talented artist. Such a loss.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

That is a beauty Tim, a fabulous keepsake.
    His filmography is as extensive as it is simply impressive beyond words. His work defined on one-sheets so much about contemporary films as different as 'Willow' to 'The Color Purple', 'Empire of the Sun' to the 'Star Wars' and 'LotR' series. His contributions to Disney alone is incalculable. He will be missed.

His gallery can be viewed here:
    http://www.johnalvinart.com/ArtworkList.aspx?ArtistId=1

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

I REMEMBER THAT BEAUTY AND THE BEAST ONE FROM DISNEY NEWS! I think i still have it... SOME where. And wow, so many of his stuff I never even realized was his! Like "hook" or "history of the world part I" or "batman forever" (bad movie, good composition for the poster), etc, etc, etc.

I feel really lame now because I knew of him as an artist, I've seen some of his work... but I never fully realized just how much stuff he produced. (especially the disney stuff). I recall even looking at a lot of his disney stuff and not realizing it was his and thinking "why didn't they use this on the dvd or vhs jacket?"

Sigh... thanks for the link to all of his work, Alias. His stuff is defiitely a huge notch above the usual movie posters that are out there these days. The art I really admire most actually is all of the concetual disney posters he has. The mulan, the tarzan, the hunchback... those are amazing.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html