• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Michael Giacchino, Grammy Award winner 'Ratatouille'

Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
    (Award to Composer(s) for an original score created specifically for, or as a companion to, a current legitimate motion picture, television show or series or other visual media.)
    • Babel
      Gustavo Santaolalla, composer
      [Concord Records]
    • Blood Diamond
      James Newton Howard, composer
      [Varese Sarabande]
    • The Departed
      Howard Shore, composer
      [New Line Records]
    • Happy Feet
      John Powell, composer
      [Warner Sunset/Atlantic]
    • Pan's Labyrinth
      Javier Navarrete, composer
      [Milan Records]
    • Ratatouille
      Michael Giacchino, composer
      [Walt Disney Records]
    http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/...w/list.aspx#21

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Re: Michael Giacchino, Grammy Award winner 'Ratatouille'

Congrats to him. I love his work!
    <o>

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

That's awesome! He totally deserves it! Brad Bird made a good call on him when he did The Incredibles. He was a virtual unknown back then!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Luckily J.J. Abrams had him on the Disney lot since 2001 with 'ALIAS.'
    Can't wait to hear his work on 'Speed Racer' and 'Star Trek' later this year.

Congrats Michael, now go get that Oscar!!!
    Last edited by ALIASd; 02-18-2008 at 09:26 PM.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Luckily J.J. Abrams had him on the Disney lot since 2001 with 'ALIAS.'
    Can't wait to hear his work on 'Speed Racer' and 'Star Trek' later this year. Congrats Michael, now go get that Oscar!!!

Oh no way, he's doing Star Trek too?? That's rad. He'd be a good fill in for Jerry Goldsmith.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Oscar rookie Michael Giacchino hopes to score one with 'Ratatouille' nod

Updated 1h 49m ago

By Robert Hanashiro, USA TODAY
    Bottling success: Michael Giacchino could be adding the Oscar statuette
    to his collection of memorabilia from Ratatouille, Lost and other endeavors.

GIACCHINO'S OSCAR STATS
    The category: Original score
    The movie: Ratatouille, the animated tale of a rat and his creative path to fulfill his passion to cook. The G-rated film which is nominated for four other Oscars, including best animated feature took in $206.4 million in theaters and is out on DVD (Pixar/Disney, $30).
    His competition: Atonement, Dario Marianelli; The Kite Runner, Alberto Iglesias; Michael Clayton, James Newton Howard; 3:10to Yuma, Marco Beltrami.
    Other awards attention: Won a Grammy and an Annie Award, given by the International Animated Film Society; and nominated for best original song (Camille) at the World Soundtrack Awards.

By Anthony Breznican
    USA TODAY
    February 18, 2008

ENCINO, Calif. — Amid the vintage Star Wars figures, toy cars, baseballs and other childhood bric-a-brac filling the shelves of composer Michael Giacchino's home office are replicas of the golden idol from Raiders of the Lost Ark, the black figurine from The Maltese Falcon and one of the drug-smuggling Virgin Mary statuettes from TV's Lost.

As a first-time Academy Award nominee for his score to Ratatouille, Giacchino now has the chance to add one authentic Hollywood figurine — an Oscar — to his collection.

That fact finally hit him when he ran into George Clooney, Hal Holbrook, Javier Bardem and other famous faces at the luncheon for this year's nominees.

"I was looking around thinking, 'This is insane. This is crazy that I'm even sitting here,' because since I was kid I watched the Oscars, and I always wanted to make movies and do all this."

Giacchino has written music for Alias, Lost, The Incredibles and the upcoming Speed Racer and Star Trek movies. His career has been a peculiar journey but one that could lend hope to any kid hoping to break into show business.

The married, 40-year-old father of three grew up in New Jersey, and as a child he made stop-motion animated home movies with his father's 8mm camera, using many of the toys that are still in his collection.

"My parents always supported me in everything I did," Giacchino says. "I think a lot of this comes from them, because never once did they say, 'You want to make a movie? … No, you can't touch my camera.' I do think it starts there, having parents who want you to do the things you want to do."

Giacchino studied music and film in college but had no connections to Hollywood. So he found work in publicity, first at Universal and later at Disney. "I thought, if I get a job within a studio system, somehow, somewhere I'll learn more about it and meet the people you need to meet to keep propelling forward." And he did.
    That, in turn, was a favorite game of soon-to-be Hollywood heavyweight J.J. Abrams, producer of Alias and Lost and director of the upcoming Star Trek remake. When Alias was still in the development phase and the name J.J. Abrams was still largely unknown, Giacchino received an e-mail from him one night.

"No one wanted to work with me because whenever they saw that I worked in video games, they thought, 'Oh, video games?' " Giacchino recalls. "I couldn't get hired to do the cheapest, schlockiest movie in town."

Abrams wanted Giacchino to do the music for his new show Alias, and the work — retro-brass bombast fused with contemporary techno — attracted the interest of The Incredibles filmmaker Brad Bird, who wanted that flavor for his superhero adventure.

When they partnered again on Ratatouille, Bird was salvaging a project that had been foundering. Both were struggling to find the right tone for the comedy, about a Parisian rat who loves to cook and becomes the secret star of a chichi French restaurant by communicating through a dopey janitor.
    Full article at:
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...terstitialskip

• MiceChat Moderator

AMAZING article! Thanks, Alias! So funny that he used to work in publicity. I mean.. who woulda thought?!

• Circle of Ancients

That was a great article. It was interesting hearing where one of my favorite newer composers got his start. I had no idea.