Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: 'Star Wars: The Clone Wars'

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    Anakin has a Padawan? Um, ok...
    Yeah that's what I thought when I read that this morning.

I hate it when these things start contradicting themselves.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    That's funny, except I'm not a lady. I actually enjoyed Episode 2, though mainly for the large set-piece battles and Jedi fighting bad@SSness.

I haven't gotten around to watching the miniseries. After Sith I just couldn't force myself to sit through anymore of Lucas' crap. I'll probably throw it on the Netflix queue at one time or another though. It sounds generally well liked so I'll give it a shot sometime.
    haha yah i know you're a dude, but it's the only way i could effectively pull off an anakin impersonation.

And I'd agree with you about ep2 if the jedi were in fact bad@$$es. But they weren't. They were clumsy untrained extras who have no fencing experience and it shows. It was quite distracting actually. Marry that with Hayden's awful acting and animal surfing on naboo, c-3po to the extreme, and you have the recipes for the worst star wars movie.

Definitely put the miniseries on your netflix queue!!! these are rad little cartoons and I think you'll watch them and go "this is what the prequels were supposed to be like"

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    Marry that with Hayden's awful acting and animal surfing on naboo, c-3po to the extreme, and you have the recipes for the worst star wars movie.
    Yeah, I couldn't agree more about Hayden and such. Super lame there. I did think that Mace was pretty bad@SS though, and Fighting Yoda was wicked bad.

Thanks for the recommendation on the series. It's now in the queue and will be watched soon!

• far, far away from DL

I really enjoyed the Clone Wars. I just thought they were too short when they were on Cartoon Network. But overall I thought they were good.

• making magic is fun!

my son will love this
    I grew up watching Star Wars and did like 3 but I am not sure I would go to the movies to see this.
    OT melonballer I love your avatar Chowder is so funny
    Kelly

• Shablagoo!

Thanks Iluvdisney. Toy fair 2008 is going on right now and the toys for this series are going to have an animated look. From what I have seden so far they seem to capture the looks of the cartoon well.

• "Always On The Move..."

And I'd agree with you about ep2 if the jedi were in fact bad@$$es. But they weren't. They were clumsy untrained extras who have no fencing experience and it shows. It was quite distracting actually. "
    Um... I have to jump in on this one. First off, SW has NEVER involved "fencing" in it's duels, even the old original one between Ben and Vader was based on Kendo.

I had the pleasure of talking with Nick Gillard (the swordmaster/saber choreographer) for quite a bit during CIII as I had studied Ewan and Hayden's fighting for a choreosaber due I was involved with and got to discuss saber techniques..including the Genosis Battle in a bit of detail. Those were NO EXTRAS, but trained stuntpeople, and each individual Jedi had a style that was designed for him/her. In fact the one Jedi with the very long hair is the stunt double for Dooku in his fighting. (Ok, will give on the fact that N'Sync was there..but they also had very little to do and lots of saber training to get through the fight...and, surprising, they did a bloody fine job).

So, if you have an issue with the way the battle came off...blame the director and editing, the saberfighters used very individualized and choreographed styles and LOTS of training...but..

NO FENCING!!! (Fencing when using a saber looks pretty awful...and out of place. Seen it done before *shudders*)

As for the Padawan...ok, I can buy into "Continuity...we don't need no stinking continuity." My difficulty with the new series is that while the backgrounds look great..the characters look so... deformed.

And, according to Hayden..he would LOVE to do the voice overs, but none of the original cast members have been asked. All characters will be voiced by other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    And, according to Hayden..he would LOVE to do the voice overs, but none of the original cast members have been asked. All characters will be voiced by other people.
    I imagine that most of the voice will be done by hte people who did the voices in the last animated series. According to IMDB Anthony Daniels will be voicing C-3PO and Matthew Wood will be back to voice General Grevious.

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I imagine that most of the voice will be done by hte people who did the voices in the last animated series. According to IMDB Anthony Daniels will be voicing C-3PO and Matthew Wood will be back to voice General Grevious.
    At least there is a couple...I wondered if we would be stuck with Anthony....

But, Matthew Woods ROCKS!!!!!
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

• MiceChat Moderator

Um... I have to jump in on this one. First off, SW has NEVER involved "fencing" in it's duels, even the old original one between Ben and Vader was based on Kendo.

I had the pleasure of talking with Nick Gillard (the swordmaster/saber choreographer) for quite a bit during CIII as I had studied Ewan and Hayden's fighting for a choreosaber due I was involved with and got to discuss saber techniques..including the Genosis Battle in a bit of detail. Those were NO EXTRAS, but trained stuntpeople, and each individual Jedi had a style that was designed for him/her. In fact the one Jedi with the very long hair is the stunt double for Dooku in his fighting. (Ok, will give on the fact that N'Sync was there..but they also had very little to do and lots of saber training to get through the fight...and, surprising, they did a bloody fine job).

So, if you have an issue with the way the battle came off...blame the director and editing, the saberfighters used very individualized and choreographed styles and LOTS of training...but..

NO FENCING!!! (Fencing when using a saber looks pretty awful...and out of place. Seen it done before *shudders*)

LOL, here we go...

Fencing is a basic sword fighting technique. The EXTRAS in the arena, could very well be "stuntsmen" but they didn't even have FENCING training which is the most basic there is, let alone kendo training. Yes the ACTORS were trained heavily and they have done a good job. But Bultar Swan, Plo Koon, and the other random EXTRA Jedi you see were just that. Extras. And they did a horrible job.

I'm sure Kit Fisto recieved some extra attention as he sliced and diced, but don't sit there and lecture me about Luminara and Shakk Ti's fighting style because they had none.

Sure, Lucas had a hand in how bad it turned out, but are you sure it was him and not some 2nd unit director? It doesn't matter. It was a poorly executed action sequence that was distracting because Jedi were slicing at nothing right when they ignited their sabers. Watch it again. It's not good.

• Banned User

I thought that N*Stink being there was just a myth. Were the actually involved?

LOL, here we go...

Fencing is a basic sword fighting technique. The EXTRAS in the arena, could very well be "stuntsmen" but they didn't even have FENCING training which is the most basic there is, let alone kendo training. Yes the ACTORS were trained heavily and they have done a good job. But Bultar Swan, Plo Koon, and the other random EXTRA Jedi you see were just that. Extras. And they did a horrible job.

I'm sure Kit Fisto recieved some extra attention as he sliced and diced, but don't sit there and lecture me about Luminara and Shakk Ti's fighting style because they had none.

Sure, Lucas had a hand in how bad it turned out, but are you sure it was him and not some 2nd unit director? It doesn't matter. It was a poorly executed action sequence that was distracting because Jedi were slicing at nothing right when they ignited their sabers. Watch it again. It's not good.
    With your knowledge and interest in the SW films, then I'm sure you are already aware of the known fact that Lucas in very involved in every aspect of his films. This was not a trivial 2nd unit piece and Nick Gillard was overseeing every single aspect of it. I have watched it many many times and am always in awe of the many different styles (Gillard created 7 different styles of saber fighting) and the intricacies of that particular sequence. Having spent a number of years as a actor and professional Stunt Person in the Industry AND having the good fortune to also be trained in Film and Stage Swordwork by the legendary Bob Anderson (if you are into any type of sword work, then I don't have to explain who he is.) I feel that I have a bit of a Professional background that allows me some insight into this area. As for the fencing (and yes, I have fenced a bit in college, so I am very aware of the fencing style) fencing is one style, but not the basis of other styles. I don't believe the Samurai ever studied fencing, nor do I believe that during Medieval era and even in the confines of the Joust that fencing was a basic first step of training. Roman Gladiators, I believe, also never utilized the art of fencing as a basic training technique for the arena. However, if you have information that historically proves me wrong, I will gladly concede. Also, if you are a member of SAG or of the Stuntmen's Association and your particular instructor demanded fencing of you before they would place a two-handed weapon in your hand, then I completely understand where you are coming from. Which means, I accept your training and understand that is where you are coming from. (By the way, with your knowledge of the art of fencing are you a student of fencing or a fencemaster?) Of course you know that the the fencing foil is a one-handed weapon..utilized with stringent rules (along a straightline...front and back movement only...NEVER sidesways and/or "flamboyant/intricate moves). While a lightsaber, based on a combination of mostly katana with a bit of broad-sword thrown in, is a two-handed weapon that in the choreo design utilizes many different moves and directions. (Gillard also "bumped" up from the very basic kendo (choreographed by Bob Anderson in the original Star Wars film) to utilize the fighting styles that he, Gillard, created for the new trilogy. (But of course you already know that.) In my opinion, the most difficult to watch stunt fighting performance in the entire sequence is Mace Windu, while Samuel Jackson worked very hard, he never did give a convencing performance that he was comfortable with handling the saber. But, at least he put in his hours to work with it, and I give him kudos for that.

Also, extras are NEVER used in any kind of fighting situation, due to SAG rules and regulations. Stunt people are utilized for any and all scenes that are scripted to include stunts of any kind. (low-budget, non SAG films tend to use them..which is why they normally get hurt). This was a SAG production, therefore, only trained Union stunt performers could be used in the production due to contractual and legal obligations. Or did you not know that this was a SAG -sanctioned and contracted production?

I can understand that you HATE the scene and the style of fighting, and apparently Gillard's way of choreo and Luca's direction and editing. That is fine, and I accept your choice, as we all have different likes and dislikes. If you do not like what you see, the vote with your $$ at the box office, and with not purchasing any merchandise. But please don't lump extra's and stuntpeople in the same catageory..., however, since it appears you come from the Independent/ Low-Budget Industry that does not adhere to SAG's rules, then again, I can understand with that background how you would lump extras and stunt people together as a these films tend to hire such non-SAG performers "on the fly."

I've been extra, bit player, featured player, did creature work, and stunt work, and while I appreciate what the extra's do to make films and TV come alive...it is completely different of years of physical training involved to do stuntwork. It is the indication that any extra can do this..is what leads to kids getting themselves hurt or killed trying to emulate what they see on TV and film.One of the things I do, is speak with youngsters on a regular professional basis (at schools) on the dangers of emulating what they see in TV/films and the years of training that these people go through. Perhaps that's why I "dare" to speak out on this miscommunication of what actually was filmed. Kids today have no concept of what goes into filming such as scene, thus they get themselves seriously hurt. They just see and "do."

However, if you are involved in independent (non-SAG) film making or are working with a non-qualified (we call them 'backyard' instructors) in the area of fencing, then I can understand your confusion over this matter. And would like to help clear that up. However, with your knowledge, I'm sure you that you already know, that there is a vast difference between the two.

As for the other question, yes, N'sync was in there, and if you watch closely you can easily see them. It was just toned down due to the backlash from the fans. Funny thing is that 99% of the people who complained the loudest about it, never ever realized that they were in the scene anyways. Which is one of the biggest jokes of all!
    Last edited by AlohaStitch; 02-17-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Really? Because I heard in a recent interview in Details magazine, it seemed like Hayden was putting down Star Wars, saying along the lines of how he couldn't get over the comic book style of the series, and it's not something you "become an actor for."

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    Really? Because I heard in a recent interview in Details magazine, it seemed like Hayden was putting down Star Wars, saying along the lines of how he couldn't get over the comic book style of the series, and it's not something you "become an actor for."
    That's hilarious! He was so bad in the prequels, he should thank his lucky stars that he even has work!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    He said it on a live interview while promoting "Jumpers." Actually was pretty shocked that the actors wanted to do it, but not asked. Course they will save major $$$ that way.
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast