Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Disney and Microsoft to Bring Back 'House of the Future' . . . Kinda

It's not made of plastic like its 1960s predecessor, but the "House of the Future" is about to return to Disneyland's Tomorrowland, taking up the bottom floor of Innoventions. Scheduled to open in May, the 5,000 square foot suburban-style home will be loaded with high-tech gadgets from Microsoft, Hewlett-Packard and LifeWare.

Visitors will experience the look of tomorrow by watching Disney actors playing a family of four preparing for a trip to China.

"It's much different than a spiel that you would get at a trade show," said Dave Miller, director of alliance development for Walt Disney Parks & Resorts. "We won't get into the bits and the bytes. It will be about the digital lifestyle and how that lifestyle can help you."

The actors will be in a flurry of cooking, packing and picture-taking designed to emphasize cutting-edge features in the home's two bedrooms, living room, kitchen, dining room, study and back yard.

Much of the project will showcase a network that makes the house "smart" and follows family members from room to room -- even adjusting artwork -- to preset personal preferences.
    The home will also feature new uses for devices that many visitors may already own, as well as technologies that are still five or 10 years down the road, said Mike Seamons, vice president of marketing at LifeWare, which makes home automation software.

"If people walk through there and say, 'I don't have anything in this house at all,' then we've totally failed," Seamons said. "We're not waiting for robots to happen in order for it to be a reality."
    Source: MSN Money/Associated Press

• I Can Show You the World

Re: Disney and Microsoft to Bring Back 'House of the Future' . . . Kinda

Its nice to see they are adding more to Tomorrowland! Definitely they are going in the right direction.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Bravo! It's about time they put something worthwhile in that wonderful building
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

it's got no room for the parents, so i'm thinking they sleep on the couch while the kids run the house.....?

• Once A Skip Always A Skip

Does this mean they are upgrading to something other than Windows 98?
    -"Enjoy the rest of your stay here at Disneyland, where all of your dreams come true...well except for two of them, short lines and cheap food."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanSkippa View Post
    Does this mean they are upgrading to something other than Windows 98?
    windows 98 to windows 98 SE. wild huh? maybe windows ME if they are feeling randy!

• Knight that says Nee!!

Glad to see the space being used for something more along the lines of what the original TL concept was supposed to include.

• Fastest Man Alive

Hmmm.. maybe now I can be convinced to go in Innoventions sober.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The official name of the attraction will be the Innoventions Dream Home. In a nostalgic nod to Walt, the people "living" in the house will be the Elias family.

Excerpts from Disneyland's press release:

The attraction will provide guests with a "high-tech, high-touch" opportunity to experience technology in an entertaining, low-risk environment showing them how the power of technology can connect them to the people and things they care most about.
    The technology companies will showcase a wide range of technologies and products in the exhibit, including the latest in mobile phones, PCs, digital music and gaming. The Innoventions Dream Home demonstrates how home technology can be simple, intuitive and fun while helping guests understand how to seamlessly interconnect their home, the surrounding community and the world, helping consumers stay closer to the people, places and entertainment that are most important to them. The alliances also help ensure that the Innoventions Dream Home remains on the forefront of technology with the newest devices and products as part of the exhibit.
    The notion of a Dream Home has deep roots at the Disneyland Resort. Walt Disney was fascinated with the concept of a futuristic home and he introduced concepts at World's Fairs that led to the first "House of Tomorrow" exhibit in Disneyland (1967). Those early versions featured modern conveniences for housewives, but the story line always focused on progress that led to a better way of living. In 1998, Disneyland opened Innoventions, an interactive pavilion featuring what was then considered breakthrough technology: voice-activated computers, high-definition TVs, smart-cars and satellite broadcasting.
    For the complete press release: http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...24#post2557724

wow something that im actually looking forward to that will be in innoventions.

• Resident Ghost

NOOO! I like the idea, but not the execution. I don't want to watch bad actors "show" how the technology works. Because its acting, everything will be pre programmed accordingly so you won't be able to see everything's full capabilities.

• Don't Panic

Microsoft.

Nuts.

I was looking forward to the iHouse with touchscreen and scroll wheel (imagine how many things could be controlled with a scroll wheel!)

But anyway, this could either be very-cheesy-cool, or very-cheesy-lame. We'll have to wait and see.
    ------

------

• Infinitized!

If they wanted to go in the right direction, how about an elaborate exhibit on environmental sutainability? The display could showcase what could happen in the future if we are not careful and what has been done right so far.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I was disappointed to see that Panasonic was not a sponsor. Their "LifeWall" at this year's Consumer Electronics Show would've been ideal for the Dream Home. It's pretty amazing.

http://www.panasonic.com/cesshow/ - Click on "Introducing LifeWall."

• Tom Chaney R.I. P.

I am sorry but this attraction is down for updates, everything is run on Vista and the computer just can't figure out how to open the oven door! You want to turn on the TV please enter your security passcode. I am sorry but vista can not find the drivers for your alarm clock, Any your computer does not have enough memory to turn on the A/C.
    THIS SPACE FOR SALE OR LEASE

PRESIDENT OF THE DISNEYLAND LOOP LOVERS ASSOCIATION

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast