• Minion

2008 Walt Disney Treasures DVD announced (Dr. Syn!!)

Three New Volumes from the Disney Vault Featuring Never-Before-Seen Material Debut on DVD: Walt Disney Treasures WAVE VIII

BURBANK, Calif. - (Business Wire) Walt Disney Home Entertainment is proud to release some of the most extraordinary treasures from the Disney vault on DVD November 11, 2008 in a limited supply. All three new two-disc sets of “Destino,” “Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow” and “Chronological Donald, Volume 4” will make up the eighth installment of the popular series Walt Disney Treasures, which features rarely seen footage presented with updated color and sound.

“Destino” began in 1946 as a collaboration between Walt Disney and the famed surrealist painter Salvador Dali. A first-hand example of Disney’s interest in avant garde and experimental work in animation, “Destino” was to be awash with Dali’s iconic melting clocks, marching ants and floating eyeballs. However, “Destino” was not completed at that time. In 2003 it was rediscovered by Walt’s nephew, Roy E. Disney, who took on the challenge of bringing the creation of these two great artists to fruition. In addition to the completed “Destino,” this exciting addition to the Walt Disney Treasures line also includes an all-new feature-length documentary that examines the surprising partnership between Dali and Disney plus two new featurettes; “The Disney That Almost Was,” an examination of the studio’s unfinished projects; and “Encounters with Walt,” which addresses the surprisingly diverse group of celebrities and artists who were attracted to Walt Disney’s early work.

“Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow,” which first aired as three separate episodes on Disney’s weekly TV show under the title “The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh,” was edited for theatrical releases in England and the U.S. This DVD set includes all three of the original TV episodes plus the theatrical version of the film that was released in England.

Disney fans will delight in “Chronological Donald, Volume 4,” which includes 31 classic shorts starring Donald Duck. Each of these meticulously animated adventures was created between 1951 and 1961 and has rarely been seen. All of Donald’s CinemaScope shorts will be presented in their original widescreen aspect ratio for the first time on video.

All three sets are hosted by noted film historian, author and critic Leonard Maltin. Each limited edition, individually numbered volume includes an authenticity certificate, exclusive lithograph and comes in a unique, collectible tin.

Information subject to change.

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment, a recognized leader in the home entertainment industry, is the marketing, sales and distribution company for Walt Disney, Touchstone, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax and Buena Vista product, which includes DVD, Blu-ray Disc™ and electronic distribution. Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is a division of The Walt Disney Studios.

Re: 2008 Walt Disney Treasures DVD announced (Dr. Syn!!)

YAHOO for Donald #4
    I'm not too sure what to make of Destino though
    I havnt been able to find out too much about it, definately interisting though
    as for Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow, I know nothing of this....can someone fill me in?

• Too far from Disney World

Donald Volume 4 already?!?!?!

I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
    With great pride: Disney Store Cast Member August 2011-Present

D23 Charter Member - 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012

WDW Trips: June 2012, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1997, 1996, 1994

• Minion

>>Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow, I know nothing of this....can someone fill me in?<<

"Dr Syn, Alias the Scarecrow" is the theatrical cut title for three "Scarcrow of Romney Marsh" episodes first shown domestically on "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color". Starring Patrick MacGoohan ("The Prisoner", "Thomasina"), Scarecrow is a populist vigilante/smuggler/bootlegger - - a man of the people against the system (in this case King George) in the tradition of Zorro and Swamp Fox. Syn is a vicar by day and a terrifying Scarecrow by night. Great theme song. These shows were extremely popular in the 60's and 70's to the point of warrenting a theatrical re-release in 1975.

Walt Disney Home Video got amnesia about this title in the 80's and all the good prints eventually faded away to nothing. After Vault Disney went away, so did the title. No one wanted to pay for restoration. But finally it has happened! And I understand MacGoohan has done an extensive interview for the set!

A great title with a loyal following of baby boomers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5HEhe__wHw

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Syn

http://www.drsyn.com/
    Last edited by merlinjones; 02-20-2008 at 11:07 AM.

•   
    • Shenanigans.

I saw Destino at an art Exhibit here in LA. It's like 10 minutes long, how can they make that into a valuable experience worth paying full price for? Adding documentaries? That seems like a rip off to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aristocat View Post
    I miss David.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginarella View Post
    All I know is that David is a pimp Gryffindor.

• Huh?

Finally... Dr. Syn's only been announced for a DVD release for how many years now?!
    -Tim

I've still got my Super 8 Sound Color Film reel of "The Mysterious Dr. Syn"...sold by Walt Disney Home Movies (a division of WEDEMCO...Walt Disney Educational Media Company) back in the 1970's.

Now...if I only still had a projector...I wouldn't have to wait!

• The Monkey's Uncle

Dr. SYN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my favorite movies (series) as a child. Even watched the Super 8mm short reel (no audio) countless times.

Wow.....to see it fully restored and to hear his character's maniacal laugh again....November can't come soon enough!

• Drunk On Disney

Dr Syn shows up at "bootleg" dvd tables at Horror conventions a lot. It's also available on ioffer (think eBay with less rules.)

I am glad I held off giving money to someone for an unathorized copy now that a authentic copy is being released.

On a side note I wish they had released the theatrical compilation film of El Fuego Baca on the DVD release they put out last year.

Check out my podcast: www.drunkondisney.com

• Minion

Dr. Syn sounds like a really cool series, plus I can't wait for Destino.

That will be really cool when this comes out. I can't wait to see it. It seems like it will be really great!

• ...TWO BITS!

My first intro to Dr. Syn (Scarecrow) was oddly enough the now cancelled Disney Adventures Comic Zone section. They had a comic strip series about this character, had no idea why they were doing it... later I found out who this character was.

I also am curious as to the DVD release of Destino. I saw it at the Fantasia concert at the Hollywood Bowl and everyone was quite speechless at what we just saw, haha. Definately worth a 2nd and 3rd look at this animated short. But yeah, then the disc is filled with a bunch of bonus features to fill it up... huh?

I definately get Donald. How many more Volumes are they gonna squeeze out of him? Is this the last or is there a 5th volume??

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• The Monkey's Uncle

For fun.....A (fanbased) DVD teaser trailer for the upcoming release of a Classic Disney Film/Series. "Dr. Syn - Alias the Scarecrow". Also released as the "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh"

http://www.lightisdark.com/syn400/syn400.html
    Enjoy. (Flash Required) Comments and criticism welcomed.

• Minion

>>For fun.....A (fanbased) DVD teaser trailer for the upcoming release of a Classic Disney Film/Series. "Dr. Syn - Alias the Scarecrow". Also released as the "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh"<<

I love it! Nice job, skunkwerx. Great atmosphere.

It would be fun to see a long version - with this tease as a lead in (perhaps featuring an English accented voice-over), add "Walt Disney Presents" or "Walt Disney's" to the "Dr Syn" logo - - and finish up with the whole "Scarecrow" song/music video!

Nice teaser!

• RCMC BlackSmith

sounds like some good releases. I have disneyland secrets stories and magic. none of the others though.
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." -Walt Disney