• Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Disney unveils 2009 schedule

Disney unveils 2009 schedule

'Dogs,' 'Montana,' 'Persia' set release dates

By Pamela McClintock
    Variety
    February 20, 2008

With the writers strike resolved, Disney is the latest studio to rejigger and give more shape to its release calendar through 2009 and the early part of 2010.

The Mouse House has staked out opening dates for a cluster of films, including laffer "Old Dogs," filmmaker Walt Becker's follow-up to sleeper box office hit "Wild Hogs," "Dogs" with a cast including John Travolta, Robin Williams and Seth Green bows April 10, 2009. "Wild Hogs" opened in spring as well.

In a counterprogramming maneuver, Disney's "The Hannah Montana Movie" will debut May 1, 2009, opposite 20th Century Fox's "X-Men Origins: Wolverine."

Looking to Thanksgiving 2009, futuristic cop actioner "Surrogates," starring Bruce Willis, will unspool the weekend before the holiday on Nov. 20, 2009.

During the Writers Guild walkout, studios weren't in a position to begin rounding out their slates for 2009 or move pictures around, since continuity in the production pipeline was uncertain. Now, however, the majors are relatively confident that a new deal can be struck with actors without a walkout this summer.

Last week, Paramount made a number of moves, including relocating J.J. Abrams' "Star Trek" from Christmas to May 2009.

Disney is the second studio to make a multitude of changes. It rejiggered release dates for titles including action-adventure "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time," which will now open June 16, 2009, instead of July 10, 2009.

The move means that "Prince of Persia" will open ahead of Par's "Transformers 2" (June 26, 2009) and "Ice Age III" (July 1, 2009) vs. bowing in their wake.

As a result of claiming May 1, 2009, for "Hannah Montana" Disney moved 3-D pic "G-Force" out of that slot to July 24. That's the second 3-D title to bow on that date after the Weinstein Co. horror entry "Piranha 3D."
    Full article at:
    http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=13&cs=1

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

Re: Disney unveils 2009 schedule

I love the Price of Persia Games...

I hope the Movie is a good one.
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Wow, how terribly unimpressive.

Even with the additions of "Rapunzel," "The Princess and the Frog," and "Up," this doesn't seem like a particularly strong lineup for Disney.

Am I missing something?

Wow. Disney's got some guts putting Hannah Montana directly up against the new Wolverine movie. I wonder what will come up on top.

• We'll hold them at bay

Quote Originally Posted by disneytim View Post
    Wow, how terribly unimpressive.

Even with the additions of "Rapunzel," "The Princess and the Frog," and "Up," this doesn't seem like a particularly strong lineup for Disney.

Am I missing something?

I would think that would be hard to gauge at this point, without seeing the movies
    www.jamboeveryone.com
    Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

• Multi-decade CM

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    Wow. Disney's got some guts putting Hannah Montana directly up against the new Wolverine movie. I wonder what will come up on top.
    I think it's different audiences. But X-Men has the larger base.

I don't get the attraction of Hannah Montana. People realise that she's not a strong singer, right? She wouldn't even survive the first round on American Idol.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Cat toy (n): any object on the ground.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

Quote Originally Posted by Lighthope View Post
    I think it's different audiences.
    Yeah, I guess so.

I think the Lizzie McGuire Movie went right up against X-Men 2. It's funny to see history kind of repeating itself.

I don't get the attraction of Hannah Montana. People realise that she's not a strong singer, right? She wouldn't even survive the first round on American Idol.

Lighthope

Pearls of Wisdom - Cat toy (n): any object on the ground.

--== TIGERS' QUEST - http://www.tigersquest.com
    --== THE DOCTOR WHO AUDIO DRAMAS - http://www.dwad.net
    --== A CHRISTMAS SPECIAL - http://christmas.dwad.net

true but if that was the case then she would not be the youngest person in the industry to actually have a 1billion dollar asset in her teens. she basically knocked out the olsen twins from their pedestal with her record breaking 3d concert movie and albums.

Its actually a smart move for Disney to put it on the same day against a movie geared to young men with wolverine.

i just do not know what her attraction is but she does have one

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Yeti View Post
    Counter-programming is something Disney excels at.
    Besides they'll probably make the 'HM' movie for maybe $20 million (accompanied by a new soundtrack, merchandising, etc. to sell along with it) while Fox spends closer to $100 million trying to launch a new franchise with 'Wolverine'. Guess who has a better chance to make all of their money back opening weekend?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    true but if that was the case then she would not be the youngest person in the industry to actually have a 1billion dollar asset in her teens. she basically knocked out the olsen twins from their pedestal with her record breaking 3d concert movie and albums.

Its actually a smart move for Disney to put it on the same day against a movie geared to young men with wolverine.

i just do not know what her attraction is but she does have one
    Wolverine appeals to more than just young men. Basically it appeals to males 7 and up. Hannah Montana only appeals to females 12 and under.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHost2 View Post
    Wolverine appeals to more than just young men. Basically it appeals to males 7 and up. Hannah Montana only appeals to females 12 and under.
    Substitute appeals with targets.

Where did you arrive at 7 year olds? The 'X-Men' films earned PG-13 ratings, would expect 'Wolverine' to arrive at the same.

The Disney Channel targets kids 6 -14 & their families. 'Hannah Montana' and the other DC series and original movies' appeal would seem immeasurable based on the hundreds of millions of dollars they generated for The Walt Disney Company.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Substitute appeals with targets.

Where did you arrive at 7 year olds? The 'X-Men' films earned PG-13 ratings, would expect 'Wolverine' to arrive at the same.
    Well just because it is a PG-13 movie, doesn't mean that you have to be 13 to see it. Practically every movie that is live action is automatically PG-13. When a movie is highly marketeed to kids than parents assume it is okay for them. Look at the audience for POTC and the other X-Men movies, there are plenty of kids under 13 who love those movies, otherwise (as far as POTC is concerned) there wouldn't be so many kids wanting to be pirates and playing with POTC toys. Most of the PG-13 kid marketeed movies are rated PG in Canada (just look at the back of the DVD box usually) which means it is a very American thing (or more of an MPAA thing) to consider these movies PG-13 material.

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

I so agree.

If you've seen the episodes where they actually let her sing (not a loyal or huge fan of the show, but I can think of two where they let her do it...but it's not for very long) w/ out the lip sync, you know it's not a pretty sight.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
    • Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    Counter-programming is something Disney excels at.
    Besides they'll probably make the 'HM' movie for maybe $20 million (accompanied by a new soundtrack, merchandising, etc. to sell along with it) while Fox spends closer to $100 million trying to launch a new franchise with 'Wolverine'. Guess who has a better chance to make all of their money back opening weekend?
    Ok,
    I know she's popular and still on top.
    Can she last until 2009?
    I know I can't stand another two years of her.
    They'll be some new "hot ticket" to come along. There always is.
    And if that happens before 2009, then what? That X-Men will def. have no trouble taking over the box office.
    (and yes, I know, if she tanks before 2009 Disney will have a back up plan and still make millions)
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Tim Burton is doing a 3D Alice in Wonderland.

That should prove to be interesting...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast