• Still lost in Neverland

Angry The Day The Earth Stood Still Remake??

WHY??? This is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, Science Fiction movie ever made, and it's being redone with Keanu Reeves in the Michael Renee role. WHY??? Why take a classic and redo with with a nothing actor??? It's filming now.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Re: The Day The Earth Stood Still Remake??

"Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

Ernest Thompson Seton

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Boy View Post
    WHY??? This is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, Science Fiction movie ever made, and it's being redone with Keanu Reeves in the Michael Renee role. WHY??? Why take a classic and redo with with a nothing actor??? It's filming now.
    OH NO! NO! NO! NO! NO! NO!
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Banned User

Hmmm... I understand and share your sentiments, but at the same time I'm intrigued. Done correctly this could be fantastic and would introduce a whole new audience to one of SciFi's greatest films. However, nothing seems to be done with care and thought these days so it's a slim chance. Still, it's an interesting project that I'll try to keep track of.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    Hmmm... I understand and share your sentiments, but at the same time I'm intrigued. Done correctly this could be fantastic and would introduce a whole new audience to one of SciFi's greatest films. However, nothing seems to be done with care and thought these days so it's a slim chance. Still, it's an interesting project that I'll try to keep track of.
    So many remakes of the classics are just crap. If they do remake The Day The Earth Stood Still I hope they do it right.

One of my favorite movies (Quo Vidas) was a very watchable and educational (to some extent) and entertaining movie. However, I believe if they remade this movie today it would be just blood and guts.

A new color version of TDTESS could be good and educate the new generation to the UFO vison of the 1950's.

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

I agree the remakes are usually awful. Just look at what they did to Invasion of the Body Snatchers from 1956 which was an allegory for communism and McCarthyism. That's what made it so terrifying to people back then. Now that whole plot line is lost on today's generation in the remakes. There have been several remakes the most recent of which starred Nicole Kidman and I understand was not very good.

I loved the original The Day the Earth Stood Still. This is what I found about the remake:

The 2008 remake about an alien and his indestructible robot will star Keanu Reeves as Klaatu, Jennifer Connelly as Helen Benson, Jaden Smith as Jacob, and Kathy Bates. Gort has not been cast at this time and will most likely be created using FX.

The remake of (The Day the Earth Stood Still) will supposedly remain true to the original movie, however there is a chance the remake will more likely remain true to the short story upon which the 1951 movie is based.

In the 1951 movie, Gort is described as one of a race of robots created by the planets to maintain peace throughout the galaxy. If the 2008 remake follows the short story by Harry Bates, "Farewell to the Master" upon which the 1951 movie is based, it will be revealed at the end of the movie by Gort himself that he is the master, and not Klaatu.
    This is from IMDb. The release date is at this time scheduled for Dec. 2008.

• Circle of Ancients

Can't be any worse than the War of the World remake.

• Infinitized!

I also read that they want to make a Metropolis remake.

• Banned User

Hmm, boy. I got mixed feelings on this one.

I love the original and have the DVD of it, but like Jazzman I'm somewhat intrigued by what they might do using modern film technology. Then again, although I'm not a Keanu-hater (I actually think he's pretty talented when he has the right material), I'm also not 100% sure he's the best choice to play Klaatu. Much of this is due to Michael Rennie's superb performance in the original. Comparisons will always come about when it comes to remakes. They're unavoidable. I try to keep my mind open, however.

I'm not really against the idea of doing a remake, although I do think that in the last 10 or 20 years Hollywood has spent an inordinate amount of money on remakes and TV adaptations, some of which have been successful, some of which haven't. I have to admit that sometimes I think certain films would make interesting remakes, while others wouldn't. God forbid anyone should get the idea to remake Citizen Kane, though. Certain classic films are like cinematic holy grails - you just don't go remaking them on a lark.

So, I'm keeping my mind open on this one. Obviously, whenever the first or second trailer is released, I'll have a stronger opinion. Who knows? It might turn out to be pretty good after all. I'm certainly OK with the film's message being rebroadcast to the world at large yet again. The times definitely call for it.

In any event, whether this remake is good or bad, sucks or doesn't suck, it won't change the original film in any way, nor will it lessen my enjoyment of Robert Wise's classic.