• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

DreamWorks delays 'Dragon' to avoid Disney's 'Christmas Carol' & 'Avatar'

DreamWorks delays 'Dragon'

By Paul Bond
    The Hollywood Reporter
    Feb 27, 2008

Mindful of a crowded schedule for 3-D films late next year, DreamWorks Animation has pushed its offering "How to Train Your Dragon" by four months to March 26, 2010.

The move leaves the studio with just one release, "Monsters vs. Aliens," scheduled for next year and three for 2010: "Dragon," "Shrek Goes Fourth" on May 21 and "Master Mind," the working title of a film set for Nov. 5 that year.

Had "Dragon" opened Nov. 20, 2009, as previously planned, it would have been sandwiched between 3-D films "A Christmas Carol" with Jim Carrey and James Cameron's "Avatar."

"Avatar," in particular, presented a problem, as that movie's Dec. 18, 2009, opening would have coincided with "Dragon's" release to international markets, where as much as 65% of DWA's business comes from.
    During the conference call, Katzenberg gave a shout-out to his old employer, Disney, telling analysts that "Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" proved again how lucrative 3-D movies can be.

That film generated $29 million over Super Bowl weekend at 683 theaters. At one theater, the El Capitan in Hollywood, tickets cost as much $24 apiece.

Katzenberg said making a movie 3-D adds about $15 million to its production cost. "There is significant enough potential given the premium price that consumers appear to be paying for 3-D to be a very good return on our investment," he said.
    Full article at:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...fd3afef6860e0d

DreamWorks, Imax pact on 3-D, deal includes 'Monsters', 'Panda' - 11/14/07
    http://micechat.com/forums/showthrea...orks+animation

• A Weather Eye Open

Re: DreamWorks delays 'Dragon' to avoid Disney's 'Christmas Carol' & 'Avatar'

During the conference call, Katzenberg gave a shout-out to his old employer, Disney, telling analysts that "Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour" proved again how lucrative 3-D movies can be.
    I'm sorry, I think he means "how lucrative Hannah Montana can be."

If there's too many 3D movies coming out next year (especially ones that don't already have a following, like Nightmare or Hannah do), I can see some executive hopes being dashed. It's not like everyone's going to run out and see the new film just because it's in 3D. I think it might even put some people off; we've seen on micechat that lots of parkgoers can have issues with the 3D stuff.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)