Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Cool I am now a stockholder!

Well, I bought 5 shares of Disney stock this morning. So now I have a voice at the shareholders meeting if I want to attend. I know I can order actual cirtificates, but what about the annual report, how do I get a hard copy of that?

Anyone else a shareholder? What kind of stories do you have?

MODS, not sure where this goes so I put it in the board I most freguent. If you move it please keep in mind I am not a gold member so I cannot access all boards. If you move it, please put it somewhere I can get to it.
    Last edited by Mnemorath; 02-28-2008 at 04:02 PM.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• Disneyland/Bronco Maniac

Re: I am now a stockholder!

Very cool. What a shares going for now a days?

"The moose say's you're closed, i say you're open" Clark W. Griswold

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoBob View Post
    Very cool. What a shares going for now a days?
    $32.66 as of 1240 PST

SEMPER ABSURDA

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mnemorath View Post
    Well, I bought 5 shares of Disney stock this morning. So now I have a voice at the shareholders meeting if I want to attend. I know I can order actual cirtificates, but what about the annual report, how do I get a hard copy of that?

Congratulations! I'm also a Disney stockholder. I have other investments with different financial goals in mind, but Disney is the only stock I own because I think it's cool.

I manage my investment account through my bank so I receive all my notices and reports electronically. I haven't gotten a hard copy of Disney's annual report for a couple of years now.

You definitely want to visit Disney's Investor Relations page: http://corporate.disney.go.com/investors/index.html

MODS, not sure where this goes so I put it in the board I most freguent. If you move it please keep in mind I am not a gold member so I cannot access all boards. If you move it, please put it somewhere I can get to it.

I have been a shareholder since about 1984. If you hold shares in a brokerage account they will send you the annual report automatically but it takes longer than if you hold the certificate. This is a better way to hold shares...safer.

My broker tells me it costs about a hundred bucks to get the certificate. They hold the price high because it is really expensive to maintain. There is the cost of the certificate (which is very nice looking by the way), the annual dividend check they send you (a check with Mickey on it, in an envelope that has mouse ears wallpaper inside the envelope), and the fact that the certificate is a negotiable instrument.

The certificate has a picture of walt on it and is surrounded by other characters like Bambi, Thumper (I think), and others.

Oh, and the report just went out a few weeks ago so you will have to request it specifically or wait until next year.

Back in the day when certificates were free I used to buy one share for any newborn child of a friend. We would have it framed and they could hang it in their rooms. Every year they would get a little check from Mickey!

If you just want one certificate, you can get one at: http://www.oneshare.com/Stock.aspx?stock=disney

I plan on having other investments start up here in a bit, but Disney is the one stock I definatly want to own. The others are funds. I use Sharebuilder.com. They had a nice deal going that if you put $50 or more into an account with them, within 4 weeks they would put $50 into the account as well. Good deal I thought.

SEMPER ABSURDA

How do I request one?

SEMPER ABSURDA

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SHowardcpa View Post
    The certificate has a picture of walt on it and is surrounded by other characters like Bambi, Thumper (I think), and others.
    The older stock certificates do have a picture of Walt with some of the characters on it, but Disney discontinued that look some years back. Too many Disneyana collectors were buying single shares of stock just to get a cool looking certificate. As you noted, it's not cheap to issue a certificate, so Disney had to change the design to make it less appealing to collectors. The current Disney stock certificate is pretty plain.

The one on oneshare.com looks nice, folow the link I provided.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

The one on oneshare.com looks nice, folow the link I provided.
    That's the old design. I'd check with OneShare first to make sure that's what the certificate actually looks like.

Plain or not, I am tempted to buy a share on oneshare just so I have one to frame up like those Disneyana collectors. Don't see what the issue is, doesn't the company want to sell shares, even if they sell one at a time? Hell I only have 5 at the moment in my sharebuilder account.

SEMPER ABSURDA

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Plain or not, I am tempted to buy a share on oneshare just so I have one to frame up like those Disneyana collectors. Don't see what the issue is, doesn't the company want to sell shares, even if they sell one at a time? Hell I only have 5 at the moment in my sharebuilder account.
    As SHowardcpa pointed out, it costs more money to issue the certificate than one share of the stock is worth. It's not cost effective for Disney to encourage that kind of investing.

As a shareholder, I approve of that policy.

• Golden State of Mind

Wooo! Annual Report is the best part
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Incognito

Blog Entries

I got my first share in 1991 as a college grad gift (with the certificate which is pretty cool looking). It split a few years later and BAM I magically had 3 shares. Then I bought some I think 8 or 9 years ago just 'cause and now I have 50 as of my last report.

It's all in good fun as I see it. I'm not looking at it as a huge investment, just a fun thing to say I have.

Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the family!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast